PDA

View Full Version : Turning Palms

nalmo
23rd July 2008, 03:06 PM
Was just wondering if anyone has tried turning palm. I've found a few pieces about 250 diameter and 600 long and was not sure if they would be too fibrous to turn. They are quite heavy (still green) and was hoping someone might know how they might behave as they dry.

powderpost
23rd July 2008, 03:40 PM
I have turned coconut palm and black palm. Coconut palm is reasonably easy to work but only the outer layer of black palm, about 25 - 30 mm, is of any use. Coconut palm is also used for manufacturing furniture and houses on many pacific islands. Black palm is used in New Guinea for bows and arrows, by the natives.
Jim

petersemple
23rd July 2008, 03:47 PM
From memory Black Palm is quite hard and brittle. Looks really really nice though.

Peter

madcraft
23rd July 2008, 03:50 PM
Was just wondering if anyone has tried turning palm. I've found a few pieces about 250 diameter and 600 long and was not sure if they would be too fibrous to turn. They are quite heavy (still green) and was hoping someone might know how they might behave as they dry.

Hi Nalmo

Haven't turned palms myself but I know people who have and they all comment on how dusty it is when dry

good luck with it and let us know how it turns out

Cheers
Glenn

Caveman
23rd July 2008, 04:19 PM
Was just wondering if anyone has tried turning palm. I've found a few pieces about 250 diameter and 600 long and was not sure if they would be too fibrous to turn.

G'day - as said, can be pretty dusty when dry, but definatley possible to turn.
I have only once tried coconut - needs a really sharp tool to get a decent finish (but then that pretty much applies to anything).

Try to minimise sanding as much as possible. This is because the soft areas between the hard fibres get sanded much easier and will leave a funny undulation across the piece.

I have attached a (poor) picture which doesn't do it much credit but you get the idea.

Good luck.:2tsup:

rsser
23rd July 2008, 07:25 PM
Nalmo, a number of turners have done interesting things with 'grass tree', or 'grasstree', aka Xanthorea (sp?) or black boy. Try a google.

Same deal, fibrous, and may need stabilising.

Let us know how you go.

artme
23rd July 2008, 07:33 PM
Grass tree is quite dangerous because it is highly carcenogenic.

Have turned some pens from Black Palm. They were all very eye catching and one in particular was a stunner. It is expensive to obtain any quantity and is a protected species in Aus.
Have also Turned pens and some experimental chess pieces from Cocos Palm. You can only tur the outer part where the fibers are denser. The bigger the tree the more turnable stuff you get. Take care with sandindig for reasons stated above.

nalmo
23rd July 2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info, especially about it be a carcinogen, Does this mean I shouldn't smoke it, or is it just the dust which is a problem.

Not sure what species this is so I've included a pic for all the botanists in the house. Any ideas?

orraloon
23rd July 2008, 10:27 PM
Have not tried it myself but I saw some nice turned fern trunk across the ditch in NZ.

Rum Pig
24th July 2008, 08:53 AM
To me that looks like a fox tail palm or a carpentaria palm but it is hard to ID without foliage. Then again I'm no expert.

Gil Jones
27th July 2008, 03:58 AM
John Penrod (Tallahassee, Florida) turns some very impressive pieces from various species of Palm (and other tree wood) >> http://www.woodturningdesign.com/showcase/john_penrod.shtml <<
I have seen John's work in person, as he is a member of our wood turning club, and a good friend. Most of his work is turned end-grain.
I have a small piece of Black Palm that is hard a brick, and I am not sure what to do with it (yet).
Good luck with your palm.

nalmo
27th July 2008, 09:26 PM
I tried turning a piece of the palm this weekend.
My next thread will read " Has anybody tried turning a Wet Sponge?"
I first tried with a wood screw and supported by tailstock, but that soon proved useless as the screw kept spinning. Next tried the faceplate, but when I felt some vibration I realised that the 50mm screws were just not holding. I was able to pull it from the faceplate once the tailstock was removed, so I'll let it dry for a while before trying again.