PDA

View Full Version : hame made logosol M7 clone WIP

weisyboy
23rd July 2008, 06:26 PM
i have jsut begun construction of a mostly wood logosol chainsaw mill clone. i have decided to christen it the Vice Mill (Vice being the german pronunciation of weiss)

spent 3 hours on it so far.
got the main frame built so now comes the hard part.
made from cca treated pine with a railway line as the main mill rail.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78654&d=1216797309

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78655&d=1216797309

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78656&d=1216797309

matildasmate
28th July 2008, 12:29 AM
Hi Carl I built a Logosol clone some years ago now , next time I will get a bansaw or build a procut style rail mill , I made most of my mill out of angle iron and I used a ladder for the rail , the fisrt rail for the saw to mount on , I made out of tube about 6" x 1" , this I found was too narrow and way to hard to set up , if there is any movement it will cause the bar to wander up and down , my second rail I made from a exstension ladder about 400mm wide , this was the most expensive part of my mill , all up my mill cost around $700 to build . I originaly didnt have a back board on mine either but soon found it was needed . Once I have cut a log into a cant , I also place a rail underneath the cant before milling it , otherwise as the cant gets smaller it sags and you end up producing crap . The chain also needs to be sharpened perfectly , otherwise the bar will wander because only one end is supported . Long bars will sag , I mainly use a 24" bar without support or a 36" bar with end support to stop this . Currently the biggest log I can mill is 36" .

matildasmate
28th July 2008, 12:38 AM
More pics

weisyboy
28th July 2008, 09:16 AM
i only want it for resawing cants that i cut with my alaskan. if it dose not work it dont matter sow its only cost me $40 and the bolts and wheels can be reused in anoter project.

weisyboy
16th August 2008, 01:12 PM
weel shees gone belly up boys.

after mutch deliberation and recomendations from a few people im not going to botehr going to the trouble.

teh fram is still going to be handy i cut the 2 uprights off at the height of the ramps and removed the deck and i now have a nice ramp to roll the logs onto to milla t brest 2tsup:.

dont worrie there will still be a bbq just not sure when. im pretty buisy at the moment.

half way threw a job puting up 1km of post and rail fence and 1km of barb and steel stakes on country you can hardly walk on. its one of those carry everything in on your back jobs.

Sigidi
16th August 2008, 06:16 PM
weel shees gone belly up boys.

Bugger, shame to hear it Carl.

Let us know when will be a good time for the Sawdust BBQ, or even if you still wanted somework done let me know either way.

Hope you get the fencing done soon:U

Manuka Jock
18th November 2008, 02:49 PM
I have a Logosol Mill , one about 15 years old .

Pity it won't fit on the plane eh . 'cos my brother in Redbank had a few trees come down in the storm last night .
Not that I will have me lathe with me either :rolleyes: