PDA

View Full Version : Old pommy furniture

back yarder
24th July 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi,
I have taken possesion of 4 old wooden dining chairs and 13 seater bench (all matching) that my mum brought over from England when she migrated about 50 years ago. Mum was given these by her parents so these bits are getting very old now.
They have seen better days and are in need of alot of TLC. all the joints are getting wobbly and the bench has a broken leg that will need matching and replacing.
I live in the Ryde area in NSW and need to find some one who can tell me what timber it is (I think it's european ash?) and can spin a new leg or 2 up for it.
Seeing all the joints are loose would it be a good idea to pull these chairs apart and clean the wood up and then reassemble them.
they are quite complex (IMO) as they have leg that have been turned on a lathe and the backs are also made up of about 7 vertical rods
any advise on this job would be greatly appreciated.

wheelinround
25th July 2008, 11:16 AM
Thats one special looking chair there deserving a good restoration :2tsup:

CuriousBird
7th August 2008, 07:23 PM
hi there backyarder, looks like you've got yourself a set of Ercol chairs. Any have a sticker or stamp under any of the chairs? In this golden colour, they were crafted in Elm. It's hard to say though without a closeup of your seat. (the chairs seat that is!!) Beech was another timber popularly used.

Vintage Ercol are pretty popular in the UK, but quite sought-after here in OZ. Check out ebay.co.uk to find ones like yours.

jimbur
15th August 2008, 12:43 PM
hi there backyarder, looks like you've got yourself a set of Ercol chairs. Any have a sticker or stamp under any of the chairs? In this golden colour, they were crafted in Elm. It's hard to say though without a closeup of your seat. (the chairs seat that is!!) Beech was another timber popularly used.

Vintage Ercol are pretty popular in the UK, but quite sought-after here in OZ. Check out ebay.co.uk to find ones like yours.
If they're ercol most likely elm seat and beech for the rest. Ercol used to cost a fortune new and probably still do. Couldn't afford them when newly married.
As a matter of interest the company was founded in the uk by an italian family called Ercolini.
Jim

back yarder
2nd September 2008, 11:04 PM
It's is Ercol furniture, I found thr stickers.
Done some research and have found that it is indeed quite expensive now. each chairs is around 700. AUD for an original (I have 4) a repro 2 seater "Love seat" around 1800 pounds, the dinning table about the same, rocking chair and sideboard not sure.

I have just had 2 new legs turned up for the love seat but have discovered that the actual bench seat part which is made up of 3 peices of timber is coming apart on the back joint and needs to be reset.
How do I pull the joint apart
Not sure if it's just glued or if its dowelled as well as glued
any advise would be welcomed.
thanks

astrid
2nd September 2008, 11:30 PM
If your intending to sell them, best let the owner fix them,
Chairs are fiddly to take apart and reglue, you'll need clamps and patience.
Unless you have done this before, I suggest you take them to a pro

They have to be pulled apart carefully, number all joints or you'll never get them back "true"
All old glue cleaned out of holes and off dowels, if you break a dowel while trying to pull em apart, you'll have to drill out the old dowel.... dont mean to discourage you but it's not simple.
I suggest you pick up an old chair from an op shop or hard rubbish, (and i do mean pre 50's) Pull it apart and practice on that.
Then you'll know if you want to tackle these good ones.

Astrid

Woodwould
3rd September 2008, 12:01 AM
I'll second that. Don't touch them! You'll certainly devalue the furniture if you do anything to them. You won't get top dollar for them unless they're perfect, but it would be a shame to devalue them further by inexperienced or unsympathetic restoration.

Being Ercol, you'd get a better price for it all in the UK (assuming you're selling them). Let someone over there take them on and address the restoration.

back yarder
3rd September 2008, 09:09 AM
I intend on keeping these pieces for daily use in my house.

Woodwould
3rd September 2008, 09:13 AM
I would seek out a competent restorer who will repair the furniture sympathetically. Don't be afraid to ask what glue and techniques they will use. It's your furniture and you want it to retain its value.

astrid
3rd September 2008, 12:06 PM
If they were ordinary straight up and down chairs, you could have a go yourself. (after a practice few).
But the slopes and spindles and angles on these will make glueing up a nightmare without 4 hands and all sorts of clever chocks for your clamps.
I'm a proffessional restorer, not in Woodwoulds class but but i've retored hundreds of chairs. I wouldn't touch these, their out of my class.
you really do need a restorer with all the right equiptment.

Astrid

flynnsart
4th September 2008, 12:39 PM
Perhaps if you were intent on doing it yourself, you could try and build yourself a replica first:2tsup: What fun that would be.

Donna

back yarder
7th September 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm in the Ryde area of Sydney, does anyone know a good restorer around these ways?

astrid
11th September 2008, 01:29 PM
sorry, I'm in melb dont know any restorers in sydney.
try putting a post in the employment forum.
I'm sure there must be someone here that can do it.

Astrid

Woodwould
11th September 2008, 04:48 PM
This thread (http://www.getwoodworking.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/280/V/1/SP/) may be of interest to you back yarder.

back yarder
12th September 2008, 09:20 AM
thanks for all the advise
I am slowly working on the good chairs that don't need glueing
Not usre about the 2 seater, the joint in the seat base that is slightly coming apart needs to be fully split cleaned up and then rejoined but not sure how to split it.
I would not worry about it but this part of the seat base alos hold the vertical posts for the back rest and when you lean back the joint flexs abit.
does anyone know how to split this joint it is the length of the bench approx 4 feet long
cheers jamie

Woodwould
12th September 2008, 10:46 AM
I would seriously let a competent restorer handle the structural aspects at least. I won't even give you any guidance, because without the requisite experience, the results would inevitably be disastrous.

jimbur
12th September 2008, 03:54 PM
Try ercol themselves. if they take pride in the product they may be willing to help.
JIm