PDA

View Full Version : Toy Box

Richard0470
24th July 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi, i know its not exactly a toy, but a toy box, and sprayed with a lot of love for my newborn son. Padded and stitched top, by 1st time sewing machine user!!

HazzaB
24th July 2008, 11:20 PM
Hey Richard,

Cool Box, had to go to SpotLight (Craft Shop) with SWMBO this arvo, they had chinese made boxes that would hold about 3 or 4 toys, didn't get a price, I said that I could do better,:o:doh: Guess What?? I will be getting some material next week and making 3 for the grandies. It will be fun tho. I'll post some pics when they are done.

Harry B

forunna
25th July 2008, 12:27 AM
nice toy box Richard0470
How are the graphics done? you an artiste or are they some kind of decal?

Richard0470
25th July 2008, 04:11 AM
HaazaB,

Thankyou, Lindcraft also has a similar range of craft goodies. The material used is just straight cotton Drill and Printed cotton check flag drill, also available in Red/Blak and Blue/white and B/W 1/4in check. Used spray adhesive to locate before stitching, big help. I feel the same way, go to a shop, see something then come home re-jig the idea and get something purposely built with personal satisfaction to boot. Look forward to pics

Richard0470
25th July 2008, 04:20 AM
Craig,

Thankyou, I wish i was, but sorry to say they are Decals from Spotlight, they are removable wall stickers and the band around the base is actually a wall border. I could've painted it 1 colour or even just stained it but having spent one too many nights watching Chip Foose masking up cars on the Discovery channel I thought id test it out on this.

Andy Mac
25th July 2008, 09:57 AM
Great job on the toy box!:2tsup:

Thanks for posting the pics.

colbra
25th July 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Richard
Top job that you have done:2tsup::2tsup: whats coming next in the toy dept...... there are plenty of plans and books out there and do not cost much to make, thats one of the things I like about making them.
Regard colbra :)

Yonnee
25th July 2008, 06:25 PM
Craig,

Thankyou, I wish i was, but sorry to say they are Decals from Spotlight, they are removable wall stickers and the band around the base is actually a wall border. I could've painted it 1 colour or even just stained it but having spent one too many nights watching Chip Foose masking up cars on the Discovery channel I thought id test it out on this.

Gotta love Overhaulin'...:2tsup:

Awesome toy box. If your little bloke is as much into cars as my my 8 yr old has been for the past 7-1/2 years, he'll love it!!

Richard0470
26th July 2008, 02:59 AM
Thanks for all the beaut comments:2tsup:, and yes i hope he does get into planes trains and automobiles. At only 4 1/2 mnths old i've got plenty of time to steer him that way (also would be happy if he wants to pick up a tool or 2 like his dad and Granddad).
Got a few projects in the design phase, Rocking Car (not horse) Fire engine bed (when he gets big enough), Toy car Garage (the wife keeps having to remind me that we still got a few years to go for those) plus the ultimate little boy racer, the billy cart, but will engineer something a little sturdier than the one that took bark off all my extremeties when i was a kid. Bituman, plastic wheels and rope steering is not exactly condusive to smiles after a crash!

munruben
26th July 2008, 09:53 AM
Great toy box, congratulations, well done.:2tsup:

keju
27th July 2008, 10:35 AM
Was wondering about the noise I heard opening this forum....... came straight from that beautiful toybox....... " I'm empty.... fill me with cars....... fill me with trucks...... fill me...... fill me......."

Juvy

Trent The Thief
3rd August 2008, 11:23 AM
Really sweet toy box. I'm hunting for plans/ I know they're only boxes, but I don't want to have any mis-starts. Wood's too bloody expensive here.

How did you put the sides together?

keju
3rd August 2008, 05:53 PM
Trent.... you think wood's expensive in the US? ha...... you'd go into shock here.

To save you from wasting wood.... I can't repeat often enough...... check your local library! You will be suprised how many woodworking books with patterns they have... and what they don't have.... they can get from other libraries.... I lived in the US... I know it's normally a free service!
Go online....... find a book at amazon that you like.... write down the title and author.... go to your libraries book catalog ( most have them online .... but you'll have to get a library card) find it or request it..... wait until they notify you.... go pick it up..... easy......... and CHEAP!

Juvy

Trent The Thief
4th August 2008, 07:17 AM
I always forget the library. Man. Thanks for waking me up :-)

Yes, wood is expensive here. Getting decent hardwood is no small task. Even though I'm in the northeast, there aren't many lumberyards with good wood less than an hour away, and they are mostly open while I'm at work.

The two with decent wood know all too well that their customer base is somewhat captive and enjoy that fact. There are plenty of the big box home centers around. Their selection is dismal. Warps and twists are the name of the game with their wood.

I remember when I was growing up going to the lumber yard with my dad. Soooo much wood and it was all better than what I have to choose from. It is at the point where making a dining table top from a glue up is almost cost prohibitive. It might be a wonderful table, but it's half a mortgage payment to buy the wood.

:-) I guess wood prices suck all over.

keju
4th August 2008, 09:33 AM
We don't have a lumber yard close by..... we have a hardware stores where all you get is pine and ash boards. I've resorted to using cypress floor boards before.
When I first started looking for Australian timber it was like I was trying to uncover a national secret..... nobody knew anything.....
Then we joint our local woodworking club...... well what do you know? There's wood to be had..... the club receives trees or pieces of trees from someone...... most of the time free..... it gets stored, eventually milled and then sold to the members. You never know what you're going to get, what's dry enough, what's going to get milled..... sometimes you can put in a request. It's not the same quality you might get from kiln dried store bought, but it's nice to know it's all locally grown, right here. It also is a lot cheaper then buying from a lumber yard.

So..... why don't you try to find out if there's a woodworker's club near you? Even if they don't actually have wood for sale, it would give you a lot more information on where to get some good timber.
Juvy

Richard0470
4th August 2008, 01:19 PM
Trent,

Sorry been off line for a few days, the sides are fixed from the inside using battons of 12mm should i say (1/2") square Pine, drilled and screwed to the inside so that no screw heads on the exterior. The base has a similar frame so that the floor of the box is also screw free. the frame then allows castor wheels to be attatched.