PDA

View Full Version : Router or Die Grinder or.....

John H
24th July 2008, 11:22 PM
What is a good option for a spindle for a small CNC for wood use?

I was looking at getting one of those elcheapo Ozito routers from Bunnings for starters, but are there better options <$300?

rodm
25th July 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi John,
Most of us started with Ozito 1/4 routers at about $50 from Bunnings. They do the job but only last about 50 to 100 hrs. They also have a fair bit of runout on the spindle and are very noisy.
These days we have gone to the 1/4 inch variable speed die grinder. They have double bearings on the spindle and are good for CNC because of the sudden change in direction. Brands seem to be very similar and probably come out of the same fasctory. Bosch, Milwaukie and AEG all around $300.
Have attached photo so you can see the design.
http://www.justtools.com.au/category15_1.htm is a good place to see all the models on line.

crocky
25th July 2008, 08:22 AM
Hi John,

I have one of the Millwaukee die grinders and it is fine, variable speed and I use it at about 14,000 rpm for the cnc router :)

John H
25th July 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for that. How do Just Tools prices compare? Some quick searching seems to indicate their prices are very competitive.

crocky
25th July 2008, 08:37 PM
$256.00 is pretty good :)

twistedfuse
26th July 2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah that price is great, i currently use a Metabo GE700 die grinder. It was about ~$450. Its a great die grinder and metabo have a great repair warranty(plus i have a local repairer which was my main choice in buying it). The only thing i would recommend is double chekin what type collets are available for what your looking at. If 1/4" suits your needs, thats great as most bits are 1/4" if you need 6mm make sure you can either copy the collet or buy the collet, otherwise youll end up breaking the locking collar of your spindle from overtightening a 1/4" collet to hold a 6mm bit(Maybe thats just me, i really need to double check things and think more).

Just my 2c as i was caught with this, plus i also needed a 1/2" collet but i can't get any for mine unless i make my own.

Daniel

Greolt
26th July 2008, 07:10 PM
That is a good point that Daniel makes.

I have one of those Millwaukee grinders and like them but was quoted $70 for a 1/8" collet.

Fortunately I had one very similar and was able to adapt that.

I know others had more luck but my experience with the Ozitos was that they were a waste of time.

Run out was horrific on the two I had. My recommendation is don't waste your $50.

If you want to run 1/2" bits get a 1/2" router. These sub 1000 watt units are not up to it.

Greg

chrisb691
20th September 2008, 09:24 AM
Hi John,

I have one of the Millwaukee die grinders and it is fine, variable speed and I use it at about 14,000 rpm for the cnc router :)
Hi Bob,

How are you finding the Millwaukee, and are you still happy with it? Can you give me an idea of it's noise level, compared to a router (ozito say).

crocky
20th September 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Bob,

How are you finding the Millwaukee, and are you still happy with it? Can you give me an idea of it's noise level, compared to a router (ozito say).

Hi Chris,

Still happy with it and it is at least as noisy as the ozito :( at the high end of the rev range. It is definately quieter down low :)

I'd like a spindle but the budget does not exist for one yet....

bsrlee
20th September 2008, 10:21 PM
Rockler in the US are selling a CNC router unit that uses the Bosch blue 1/4" trim router known in the US as the 'Colt' - it sells here in the mid $200's, no variable speed tho'.

chrisb691
21st September 2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Chris,

Still happy with it and it is at least as noisy as the ozito :( at the high end of the rev range. It is definately quieter down low :)

I'd like a spindle but the budget does not exist for one yet....
Thanks Bob.

jb2060
21st September 2008, 11:13 AM
Hi John,

I use the Millwaukee die grinder as well. I have had it on my machine since late 2006 and it has performed really well. I use a lot of 1/8 bits for inlay and this adapter collet from stewmac has worked really well. Cheap too:U

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Tools_and_supplies_for:_Inlay,_pearl_cutting/Adapter_Collet.html