PDA

View Full Version : Spiers Smoother

pommyphil
25th July 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi I've got a 7 1/2 inch coffin shaped dovetailed smoother by Spiers of Ayr. Searches show up glimpses of information,model numbers ,etc. but that's all . Does anyone know of a sight, or even a book with more definitive information ?

johnc
26th July 2008, 12:13 AM
I have a book written by Nigel Lampert titled, "Through Much Tribulation: Stewart Spiers and the Planemakers of Ayr". ISBN 0-646-36426-X. Published by Oliver Publications.

If you can post a photo and any numbers etc I'll see if I can match it to anything in the book.

It would seem the Spiers built to individual order if required and that width of blade (1-7/8" to 2-1/4"), handles etc could be ordered. I think you have a number 6

Regards, John.

pommyphil
26th July 2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks John I'll look for the book. I took the photos but posting them up seems beyond my present skill,:- I'll wait for an 8 year old to visit. It's got no tote and a 2 1/8" Rob Sorby iron

Pat
26th July 2008, 06:19 PM
An Aussie publication (http://www.handplane.com/through-much-tribulation) :2tsup:

johnc
26th July 2008, 06:38 PM
7-1/2" seemed to be a fairly common length, In the copies in the book they show a No 7 and No 7a, the latter with round sides the former parallel sides. Open handle, fitted with rosewood and gun metal lever. Plane iron came in 2", 2-1/8" and 2-1/4". If you wanted a closed handle or gun metal sides, dovetailed then these where extra cost. This is from around the 1930's and towards the end of Spiers plane making activities.

The book was given to me by a friend, I've had no particular interest in the infill planes, but it was an interesting read and one that has left me curious enough to think I'd like to get my hands on one and give it a try. Trouble is the slippery slope of tool collecting shouldn't be overly encouraged if you actually want to get something done.:;

pommyphil
27th July 2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks again, I'll get the books and try to avoid the slippery slope, forewarned is fore armed