PDA

View Full Version : Pigments for casting

schaf
26th July 2008, 07:14 AM
As a follow up to Fred"s great report on the pressure pot.

I have purchased polyurethane resin for casting blanks and ,unsuccessfully,tried different coloring mediums,such as acrylic artist paints and also oil paints. I have asked the supplier a lot of questions and the pigments are very expensive.I suppose they will last a long time.

Do you think that pigments marketed as "polyester resin pigments" would be compatible with polyurethane resin. I can buy polyester pigments much cheaper.

Terry

Big Shed
26th July 2008, 09:58 AM
As a follow up to Fred"s great report on the pressure pot.

I have purchased polyurethane resin for casting blanks and ,unsuccessfully,tried different coloring mediums,such as acrylic artist paints and also oil paints. I have asked the supplier a lot of questions and the pigments are very expensive.I suppose they will last a long time.

Do you think that pigments marketed as "polyester resin pigments" would be compatible with polyurethane resin. I can buy polyester pigments much cheaper.

Terry

G'day Terry, not sure what the polyester resin pigments are dispersed in, read somewhere they use DPM ( dipropylene glycol mono-methyl ether). I suppose the only way to find out is to suck it and see. I have purchased some water clear PR (polyester resin) as well as some standard PR casting which has a slight brownish cast to it, but is OK for using with colouring.

There are a few good articles on casting in the IAP library (http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1488) as well as a few videos by grub32 on Youtube. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll put up a link.

Our seppo friends seem very fond of Alumilte when they use polyurethane but I don't think that is available here in Oz.

I have also purchased some Pearlex pigment from Barnes, but have yet to start mixing any witches brews. I'll report on my mixing and casting adventures in due course.

Buzz
26th July 2008, 11:57 PM
I assume polyurethane resin is the same as Clear Casting Resin? The latter is what I've been using, but I'm out of it at the moment so can't check the label.

I got small jars of "Polyester Pigment" from the same supplier here in Perth, and they had a big range of colours. Not very expensive and you need to use so little they are going to last a long time.