PDA

View Full Version : a better sharpening station tray

jaspr
27th July 2008, 11:44 AM
I've been spoilt in the past. My workshop had a double sink with a double drainer and I had permanently placed a large slab of granite over one sink and drainer. I use waterstones and found this a great set up.

Sadly, I no longer have a sink in my workshop and was dreading setting up a sharpening station. I still have the granite slab, but wasn't keen on controlling the water. I hate the idea of using plywood sheets/trays to contain water runoff.

But the other day as I wandered through Bunnings I came across a 'boot bucket'. (it's designed to put on the floor and hold wet/muddy boots). Its a large shallow tray made of very thick durable black polyethylene(?). It's roughly 700 by 400 and about 25 mm deep. And - coincidently - it fits my granit slab very nicely.

Now I can soak, spritz, sharpen and occaisionally mop up with out worrying about water ruining my bench and getting all over the floor. I don't even have to mop up much because what gets left in the tray evaporates between uses. And I've found I don't even have to take up room on my bench as the best place for it is on top of my Black & Decker Workmate. It's the right height for me.

Hope this helps for anyone else with a similar problem. A cheap and effective solution.

Moo73
17th August 2008, 09:35 AM
Got any pictures? I've looked a couple of time in Bunnies and haven't found it. Which section did you find it in?
Sounds like just what I'm after.

jaspr
24th August 2008, 03:46 PM
Sorry about the delay in replying.

I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment - so sorry.

It was in the section near the indoor gardening stuff and the rakes/spades/pots etc.

It's a shallow tray - black - and flexible, not rigid - about 700mm x 400mm and about 35mm deep. It has slightly curvey sides - it's not rectangular. Works beaut.

I'm pretty sure it was called a 'boot bucket' - but it is shaped nothing like a bucket.

derekcohen
24th August 2008, 03:53 PM
Great idea!

I am in the process of making up this very thing. I will check out Bunnies.

Thanks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wild Dingo
24th August 2008, 10:58 PM
Yep mate that helped no problems!! Cheers

Now can you help with me other wee problem?

Where do you score a nice LARGE section of good granite... no worries mate I have everything else just need the granite... cheers!! :2tsup:

Shane

Woodlee
25th August 2008, 12:54 AM
Ding ,
I got a piece of black granite from a stone masons ,they normally make head stones and kitchen bench tops and the like.
I went in and asked for an off cut and they gave me an off cut 30" long and 8" wide.

Kev

jaspr
25th August 2008, 02:26 PM
Yep - same here.

We were pricing granite for an outdoor BBQ area and he happily gave us a 'sample'.

It's 600 x 300 x 20 - just right for three waterstones and either a sheet of wet and dry or a strip of drywall sanding mesh - it sits in the aforementioned plastic dray and has room around the edges for various accessories (small engineers square, pencil, 6" rule, water squirt bottle, chux)

bsrlee
25th August 2008, 08:29 PM
You can also get optically flat ?basalt? - black & no visible mineralization, it comes from China I think - in a lot of cut price kitchen shops - its sold for rolling pastry where you want a cold, non stick surface - 450x450 for $10-15 IIRC. Handy when there are no local monumental masons - they have been outsourced to China too.

Moo73
30th August 2008, 11:42 AM
aforementioned plastic dray

I think I found it...

$5ea reduced from $6.95. Were in the door mat section.
:cool:

jaspr
3rd September 2008, 11:25 PM
that's it

fletty
7th September 2008, 11:09 AM
$5 each ............. LUUUXURY!

Have just returned from Bunnings, Campbelltown (NSW), Fathers Day treat, and there is a pile of them in the right hand back corner reduced to $3 each.
Fletty