PDA

View Full Version : Tena koutou

tomartyr
27th July 2008, 02:10 PM
That means pretty much the same as G'day in Oz or Hi in the States. Although most Kiwis will tell you the NZ equivalent to "G'day" is "Kia ora", don't believe them, guys, it's Tena koe if you are addressing one person, Tena korua if you are addressing two persons and Tena koutou if you are addressing more than two. So I hope Tena koutou is correct in this case!

I'm Keith and I have posted before but not often. I'm closer to 70 than I am to 50 and I've always enjoyed messing around with wood in my workshop but until recently didn't have much time available. My father learned the trade of chairmaker in the late 1920s (was always referred to a a cabinetmaker, though). He had a wealth of tools, which I eventually inherited, although in many cases I have no clue how to use them!

I recently bought a few items - planer/thicknesser, router and table, sliding compound mitre saw and am enjoying teaching myself how to use them. I feel a bit limited as my table saw is my father's homemade model - functional and useful but lacking the precision of modern commercially made machines. Not sure whether to go for a Triton Workcentre or something with a belt drive. Or if a Triton, a 2000 or a Mk3?

jerryc
27th July 2008, 05:44 PM
G'day mate,
And I won't mention yesterday's game.
You'll get masses of advice and as someone has already said, there ain't no such things as stupid questions.

Jerry

tomartyr
27th July 2008, 06:42 PM
Good to hear from you Jerry. And thank you for not mentioning the game. What game was that again?

Cheers
Keith

munruben
27th July 2008, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. :2tsup:

jerryc
27th July 2008, 11:48 PM
Keith,
Just remember, things are not always as Black as they seem.

Jerry

prozac
28th July 2008, 12:08 AM
Another cussie from 'cross the tassie! Welcome Keith.

prozac

artme
28th July 2008, 08:27 AM
G'day Keith, welcome to heaven.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nice bit of info on theKiwi greetings, thanks.

Wardy
28th July 2008, 05:44 PM
welcome Keith
with all those tools you now have ask the questions on how to use them and i'm sure there will be an answer.there is a wealth of knowledge on this fantastic forum.
cheers

tomartyr
28th July 2008, 08:54 PM
...for all your kind words, guys. I think I'm going to enjoy this!:2tsup:

Cheers
Keith

ubeaut
29th July 2008, 01:47 AM
Kia ora - Keith, hope you do indeed enjoy your stay with us.

Cheers - Neil :)