PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Grinder Gifts

dai sensei
27th July 2008, 09:04 PM
Next Friday I am off to Melbourne as the first leg of my holidays and to attend the plane making workshop and mini turn-fest at DJ’s place :2tsup:. I will be staying most of the time at my mother’s place where I grew up, the rest travelling here and there in a campervan, visiting a bunch of old friends.

As I was starting to think about what I need to take with me (plane blank, timber, tools etc - all the important stuff) it struck me – my mother’s and one sister’s birthdays are in October and my other sister in September, and if I don’t bring something down I’m dead meat :o. If I bring something for all of them, then I also have to bring something for my brother’s wife, same rules apply :~.

Now each of them have pens, bowls, trinket boxes, salad servers, cheese cutters and pie servers already :roll:. I looked at my supply stock and I had heaps of 250mm CrushGrind pepper grinder mechanisms from CWS (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/) . So off to the workshop I went to find some decent timber blanks. There were two that were a bit small, a plum tree and a red bottle brush from my mum’s back yard that I thought would be good. I also had some Huon Pine, Flooded Gum, Swamp Mahogany and some Tasmanian Myrtle. The Myrtle ended up still green, so it will last for another day. The plum was full of dead bits at the end, but it was already short, so I stabilized with CA and hoped for the best. The Huon Pine and Bottlebrush had bark intrusions, so again I stabilized with CA and hoped they wouldn’t fall apart.

All went well, except the plum was a bit small in dia and length, but my mum has small hands, so I hope she likes it – it has some beautiful purple swirls through it. I also had a bad dig-in on the Bottlebrush :B, so its knob reshaped. Overall though, I’m pretty happy with them.

From left – Plum, Huon Pine, Flooded Gum, Red Bottlebrush, Swamp Mahogany.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
27th July 2008, 09:34 PM
Nice work Neil :2tsup: I'm sure the recipients will be very happy with them :U

Mrs Woodpecker
27th July 2008, 09:35 PM
Beautiful !!! I would be proud to be one of the recipients.
Happy holiday.
Shirley

Harry72
27th July 2008, 09:48 PM
They look pretty good to me, nice work Neil.

lubbing5cherubs
28th July 2008, 08:17 AM
wow you have been a busy boy. Looks very nice
Toni

artme
28th July 2008, 08:54 AM
Lovely work Neil!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

oldiephred
28th July 2008, 09:15 AM
Very nice work on the grinders. I have never made one but intend to if I can find the grinding mechanisms. I cannot see on yours what part is held and what part is turned during grinding. Very fine fitting!!!

dai sensei
28th July 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the comments :B

I cannot see on yours what part is held and what part is turned during grinding.

The ball and the first bead form the top, the joint being between the two top beads. CrushGrind machanisms don't have a top nut, they have an insert that pushes into a recess in the top, fixing to the rod with a spring clip mechanism. Apart from being a better grinding mechanism IMHO, the length can be modified easily when you make a stuff-up :- by cutting a bit off the rod.

Hope that makes sense.

TEEJAY
28th July 2008, 05:59 PM
Fantastic work Neil.

Now they are the pepper grinders - where are the matching salt mills ?? :p

That swamp mahogany is beautiful timber. :2tsup:

Enjoy your travels and post some pics along the way of GTGs