PDA

View Full Version : First castings

Simomatra
28th July 2008, 11:46 AM
Well here goes this is my first attempt at casting some pictures of my moulds both silicone and conduit

79014 These are the ones I made from 25mm electrical conduit, no need for any release with any of the moulds

79015 These are the silicone moulds from Gadget in the US

You can see the dark pigment was but in both mixes the one that stayed dark was mixed in clear coat and the other in a two pack resin that turned white while setting and took the coloyr out of the pigment. The same happened with the red. The white one was done with vivid green and purple poster pigment which did not work. It will be interesting to see how they turn.

As I said in the pressure pot post of Big Sheds I have more resin and pigments coming

79016 79017 79018 79019 79020 79021
79022 79023

Buzz
28th July 2008, 01:05 PM
Lokking good Sam, some nice colours there.:2tsup: The silicone molds from Gadget are great, I got a set myself a couple of months ago.

Big Shed
28th July 2008, 02:13 PM
Looking good Sam, can't wait to see what is inside those sticks!:2tsup:

Simomatra
28th July 2008, 02:59 PM
OK, I have turned one of the blue blanks and the gold has not penetrated so that is something to play with in the new pour. The blue has put a speckled effect throughout the blank. It turned well so I am happy with that.

Here is a picture with it still in the lathe.

handyrn
28th July 2008, 03:07 PM
I like the color of the blue, reminds me of a robin's egg. It is cheerful:U

Simomatra
28th July 2008, 04:39 PM
This is the finished pen not so bad for a first attempt.

Cindy you have named the colour for me Robin's Egg TY

Open for comments good or bad.

ss_11000
28th July 2008, 05:09 PM
it looks great Sam:2tsup:

Undecided on wether the 'specks' look good.:shrug:

cheers

Buzz
28th July 2008, 06:12 PM
I too like that colour. Very nice. :2tsup:

rodl
28th July 2008, 06:41 PM
The blue looks good
Is there a website where you can get the molds etc or any suggestions where to get them from

Rod

artme
28th July 2008, 06:53 PM
Going to be interesting to see how future work turns out.

That is an interesting blue you have there Sam.:2tsup::2tsup:

Simomatra
28th July 2008, 07:54 PM
The blue looks good
Is there a website where you can get the molds etc or any suggestions where to get them from

Rod

G'day Rod here is the link to Gadgets thread on IAP

"http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=506&highlight=gadget"

Allan at Wallan
28th July 2008, 08:26 PM
Sam,

What are you doing to me?

I keep looking for your WOODen pens. I was hoping
you WOOD never get into these imitation items.
WOOD you kindly go back to WOOD.
WOOD YOU, WOOD YOU, please.:rolleyes:

Allan

TEEJAY
28th July 2008, 08:38 PM
Nice start Sam, now next one cast the OZ flag :p

I like the pen and casting is fun - I did a lot of casting with home made moulds when i was making my fishing lures years ago and the colours so vivid. Luminous looks pretty trendy - I know you don't write in the dark but if worn in a shirt pocket would attract some attention :)

Clear casting resin with the opal flakes?

Big Shed
28th July 2008, 08:59 PM
Pretty cool looking pen Sam, you done good!:2tsup:

PenTurner
28th July 2008, 10:14 PM
Well done Sam, love the colour. Amos:):2tsup:

dalecamino
29th July 2008, 10:45 AM
What Fred Sed ! Very nice job Sam . Appropriately named as well ! :2tsup:

woodb
29th July 2008, 05:44 PM
This is the finished pen not so bad for a first attempt.

Cindy you have named the colour for me Robin's Egg TY

Open for comments good or bad.

Looks good Simomatra sems a lot lighter then when i saw it in the lathe yesterday> To name the colour maybe Pussers Blue. Look foward to seeing more of them I like iit:2tsup:

schaf
29th July 2008, 10:11 PM
G'day sam, looks prety good. Nice color of blue.

Sam, is that what everyone calls 'clear casting resin" , if so, how did it turn. Was it brittle and a bit scary to turn or fly off the chisel like a long ribbon.

I must say, a pretty good effort. Well done.

Terry

ScrollZilla
29th July 2008, 11:22 PM
Sam,
Great job on your first foray into blank casting. If you are using the titanium dioxide based pigments, you will find that the colors tend to blend and bleed greatly. With those pigments, it is very difficult to get and maintain color separation. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Rick

Simomatra
30th July 2008, 09:56 AM
G'day sam, looks prety good. Nice color of blue.

Sam, is that what everyone calls 'clear casting resin" , if so, how did it turn. Was it brittle and a bit scary to turn or fly off the chisel like a long ribbon.

I must say, a pretty good effort. Well done.

Terry
Terry

As far as I am aware this what they call the clear water white resin others with more experience should be able to assist here. I can't rember where I got the first lot of resin from but it is definitely not water clear as it sets white this ok if you are going to colour the resin. I would like to try the Alumilite resin but there seems to be no agent in Australia NZ is the closest and they will not send resin by air so the quantity ordered would habe to be large to warrant it.

My new order from Barnes was ordered late Sunday and arrived yesterday morning by courier freight was only $10 which was very fair Thank you Barnes for great service.

I am trawling the net at the moment for tutorials.

With sharp too;s the ribbons just fly off the tool. I have found that a Sorenson spindle gouge is an excellent tool.

I have experimented with WOP and CA on the finished blank and both take to the blank quite well.

NewLondon88
30th July 2008, 01:25 PM
With sharp too;s the ribbons just fly off the tool. I have found that a Sorenson spindle gouge is an excellent tool..

One of the reasons acrylics get brittle is from too much catalyst. It is more of
a danger in small batches because the ratio is harder to measure in small
quantities. (a few extra drops might change the mix by 10 or 20% !! )

If the ribbons are flying, that sounds like you got the mix just right.:2tsup:

schaf
30th July 2008, 06:15 PM
Sam, sounds like the same stuff I got. It is a barnes product, and I got mine from Arms model It at Kippa Ring.

All ready to go casting and the compressor has either died or it has taken a sickie.
Another delay.

Terry

Simomatra
30th July 2008, 07:02 PM
Terry according to what I read it does not need the pressure treatment or vacuum. See the video links Fred posted he just vibrates or taps the moulds

Have a go with one cast ans see what happens, let all know

schaf
30th July 2008, 09:13 PM
Sam, been back through the posts and cannot find Fred's video links.

I have put down 4 castings so far. The first I thought was good, the second pretty average, the last 2 never set.

I spoke to Al at Arms model It, and he tells me that cold weather is no good and you should shake the devils out of the containers before you start. It also needs 60 psi to crush the bubbles.
The product that I am using is called 4PU polyurethane resin. It is a part A and part B mixed in equal amounts, color white when set.

But, for now,every thing waits for the compressor to get well again.
Being a woodcarver, the chips are starting to build up and I do not like sweeping.

Terry