PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Classic Boat Regatta

Fair Dink
28th July 2008, 11:10 PM
Some of you may not have attended a Caloundra Regatta. Its on 9/10 August at Golden Beach and is a great relaxing day out.

Not only are there a varied collection of Wooden boats, there's a collection of other displays and food stalls- something for the whole family.

Be sure to check out the ' Rough and Ready' boat building competition. Teams have 2 hours to come up with a vessel using hand tools, two sheets of ply and adhesives and timber provided on the Saturday.

After the glue is all set, they race on Sunday- Rafferty's Rules of course. :rolleyes:

Boats still in one piece are then auctioned to raise funds for charity.

There are also sailing, rowing, putt putt events and one for Seagull outboards. :2tsup:

Here are some photos from last year's event, click on 'Regatta Photos:

http://www.caloundra.org.au/cg%20web/index.html

Fair Dink
30th July 2008, 11:38 PM
I forgot to mention that Geoff Taylor will be taking 'Big Secret' to Caloundra. Its not ready to sail yet, but will be on display.

'Big Secret' is a Flying Dutchman that was generously donated to the Queensland maritime Museum. Geoff has spearheaded the project in his usual meticulous and innovative way,assisted by WBAQ members who love a challenge.

It should be in sailing condition in the coming months- should be a white knuckle ride!

bitingmidge
9th August 2008, 11:19 PM
Here are a few pics from Caloundra that I took today, not intended to inform particularly, so no descriptions. Just enjoy them for what they are!

How come the plastic/tinny boats pull the chicks?

Cheers,

P
:D:D

m2c1Iw
10th August 2008, 12:23 AM
Nice pics Midge, and here we are freezing down here.

I had to look at the third a couple of times, is that a study in depth of field (think thats the term) anyway good focus:).

Interesting rudder on Felix too or was the Midge too busy looking at the chicks to notice:rolleyes::D

Mike

b.o.a.t.
10th August 2008, 05:38 PM
That is cruel posting those pics Midge.
MIK is right about it being freezing down here.
I achieved my first ever amine blush night before last. :~ And the epoxy I mixed this time
yesterday has only just cured enough to trim even WITH a good dose of accellerant in it.

mumble, grump, etc...
AJ

Fair Dink
11th August 2008, 01:50 PM
I was just wondering why you were there and 'Gruff' wasn't?

I sailed on the Saturday, complete with 'flu- now I'm off work till Wednesday. I figure its a small price to pay for one perfect day on the water!

bitingmidge
11th August 2008, 11:27 PM
Sadly I've got a few problems with my shoulders at the moment which make physical activity painful, sailing difficult, and moving boats impossible! So they sit in their various sheds while I practice taking photos of other people's boats!

I would have loved to have had the PDRacers there as well, oh and the Eureka!

Ah well, there's always next year!

Cheers,

P
:):)