PDA

View Full Version : Xylotex & limit/home switches

John H
30th July 2008, 10:15 PM
For those that have used the Xylotex drive board, is it preferable to have a seperate BOB to add limit/home switches?

Is one like this ok? http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=45&osCsid=5bc49acdd99b1e9e9081978b269f1ccc

Greolt
30th July 2008, 11:10 PM
It is certainly easier to hook up switches with a BOB like that. And that is a good economical BOB.

One small problem is that neither that BOB or the Xylotex will easily pass the LPT cable connection on the the other.

Another way to do it would be get that BOB and a PCI Printer Port card. They can be had for about $20. Two LPTs. One for The BOB and the other for the Xylotex.

Then with the LPT connected to the BOB you can set pins 2 to 9 as inputs. Giving you a total of 13 inputs on the BOB. Plenty for all the switches, probes, estop and anything else you want.

LPT card $20 and BOB $26 US plus post. Still an economical way to do it.

Greg

Greolt
30th July 2008, 11:48 PM
Another way to use that BOB and the Xylotex on one port is to make up a piggy back cable.

The parts pictured would cost less than $10

Cable would start at the DB25 female connector panel mount as normal. Then go to the BOB with the male DB25 IDC connector. Continue on to the Xylotex with the IDC header.

Motor drive outputs used by the Xylotex would be left alone on the BOB. All the other could be used via BOB.

John H
31st July 2008, 08:08 PM
I was looking at getting a PCI Card to add another printer port to my PC anyway (for my X4 mill), but the piggyback option looks like better option for the Xylotex.