PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tail Stock for Carba-tec MC1100A Lathe

Robbo1954
31st July 2008, 10:19 PM
Hi,
I have recently purchased a Carba-tec MC1100A wood lathe and I am having a problem with the tail stock. The tail stock wheel is damaged (the groove has been reamed out) - I have ordered a new one through Carba-tec but after three weeks they are unsure if there are any in Australia or if at present they can get it from Tiawan. Any thoughts as to where I could go? I asked about similar tail stock I could buy complete. There is an old version of the MC1100 tailstock that may fit but they don't have that in stock either. Any suggestion where I could go to get some other brand tail stock to fit. Any suggestions appreciated. I am located in Brisbane

cheers
Chris

thefixer
31st July 2008, 11:03 PM
G'day chris

I have had a MC1100 for a couple of years now. I dont understand what you mean by "the groove has been reamed out" More info or a photo would be handy.

Cheers
Shorty

Robbo1954
1st August 2008, 05:18 PM
G'day chris

I have had a MC1100 for a couple of years now. I dont understand what you mean by "the groove has been reamed out" More info or a photo would be handy.

Cheers
Shorty
Hi Shorty,
The handle wheel has a groove in it , it fits inside the tail stock and a screw comes down and fits into the groove. It is the groove in the handle wheel that has been worn out almost to the end so the mechanism will not push the tail stock forward.

Cheers
Chris

woodwork wally
1st August 2008, 08:58 PM
Gday You will find that these MC1100 lathes are very common and you could try Hare and Forbes machineryhouse as I have used one of their steady unit on my mc1100 and is fine so tailstock parts should interchage also . Carbatec seem to have problems at the moment so dont bother waiting around Better to shop aruond -and let others know what results you get . that way it may smarten up the slacker nonproduct supporting companies and also gives the better guys support . If you do not get help at H & F. there are a couple of others who might help IF you dont mention the brand -- ie timbercon [west aus ] aand try some small machinery dealers Meanwhile I will try to find a part no. for the H7F brand and email that to you Cheers for now & Regards WW.Wally

woodwork wally
1st August 2008, 09:02 PM
Hi 'smee again A closer look at the photo and a half reasonable engineering shop could weld that up and thenturn it in a lathe and grind to a very usable unit again Regards again wally

Robbo1954
1st August 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks WW Wally, I'll head out to Hare & Forbes tomorrow morning

Cheers
Chris

Robbo1954
3rd August 2008, 06:58 PM
Went to Hare & Forbes on Saturday and unfortunately no luck. Could not match tail stock height. Looks like I need to try the metal/engineering shops shops next.

Cheers
Chris

Robbo1954
6th August 2008, 10:28 AM
Hi All,
Found an engineering place that will fix the tail stock (improve) by using bearings and grub screws to attach tail stock to tail stock wheel. He used to do the repair work for Hare & Forbes. His comment was that it was a common problem on tail stock/lathes coming from Tiawan. Cost about $100 , 2 hours work but cannot start for about 2 weeks

cheers
Chris

AndyCJ
6th August 2008, 01:46 PM
It would be interesting to know if there was anything they could suggest to avoid the problem occuring for people who are current MC100/900 owners??

If it's a common problem - could there be a common solution?

Robbo1954
6th August 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi,
His comment was that he did not know why tail stock of wood lathes were not made the same as steel lathe tail stock. The problem is the use of cast iron for the wheel and groove and a steel bolt that fits into the groove and this particular design to move the shaft in tail stock forward and backward (the steel bolt sits in the groove and wears away the groove). Also there is a danger of cutting the top of your hand when winding forwards the threadded shaft comes out of the back of the wheel and cuts you while you are turning it. It happened to me the first time I used it. I'm now very careful winding it forwards.

cheers
Chris

AndyCJ
7th August 2008, 01:09 PM
Assuming the steel bolt that fits into the groove in the shaft is not the locking mechanism - but only used for winding the tail in and out, then if you had a new MC900/1100 then it could be wise to take out that steel bolt, and either tape/silicone the bottom of the bolt to stop it stripping the iron?

Robbo1954
7th August 2008, 06:27 PM
Yes that would probably do it or even some sort of wheel like they put on the bottom of router bits would do it. I think also its only a problem if you use the tailstock to drive eg with a forstner bit. Simply using it to stabilise work would not put a great deal of pressure on the groove.

cheers
Chris

Gater88er
30th November 2016, 06:03 PM
Any chance i could get the name of the company/guy that helped you out? Ive got the same problem.

Colin62
30th November 2016, 08:46 PM
Any chance i could get the name of the company/guy that helped you out? Ive got the same problem.

I'd not hold my breath if I were you - this thread is over eight years old, and it's over seven years since Robbo1954 last posted here.