PDA

View Full Version : Software.

Ch4iS
1st August 2008, 03:03 AM
Hi, long time no post :P,

Just got my X axis completed, I made something similar to one of your slides RodM and skate bearings, and im now working on the Y Axis.

The Y axis is all planned and would be a quick job but I wanted to get started on the software side, I wanted to know what type of computer and software I need.

I am looking for free if possible or good software that has a trial.

Should a basic Core 2 Duo Pc with 2GB of ram and Windows XP suffice for the PC? I will be buying a brand new pc, do I just need a printer port on the mobo for the stepper controller?

rodm
1st August 2008, 03:49 AM
Good to hear you have started. The computer for your CAM software can be a Pentium4. No need for anything too grand but it should have a built in printer port unless you want to shell out $160 for a smoothstepper USB connection. Keep your new computer for inside where you can do your design work.
CAM software is generally Mach3 or the less used TurboCNC. TurboCNC runs under dos. Linux also have free software. My recommendation is Mach3.
Deisgn software I would recommend Vectric Cut2D as a starter package.

John H
1st August 2008, 04:37 PM
Yep, I'm with Rod. Vectric Cut2D and Mach3

Ch4iS
1st August 2008, 07:00 PM
Good to hear you have started. The computer for your CAM software can be a Pentium4. No need for anything too grand but it should have a built in printer port unless you want to shell out $160 for a smoothstepper USB connection. Keep your new computer for inside where you can do your design work.
CAM software is generally Mach3 or the less used TurboCNC. TurboCNC runs under dos. Linux also have free software. My recommendation is Mach3.
Deisgn software I would recommend Vectric Cut2D as a starter package.

Thanks Rod I will look into Mach3 and Cut 2D.

I will post up pictures when I am done to hopefully help others as this forum has done for me. (Basic Steel Design made complex, Belt Driven)

Ch4iS
9th August 2008, 12:51 AM
"Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM "

^-- Min requirement for mach 3.

I will be getting a new motherboard with onboard graphics, todays onboard should be enough right?

Does anyone know if I can use a USB to Printer Port cable?

Does it make any difference to using the printer port over USB?

Just the standard one, I just seen some for $15 would save running a bulky cable around.

John H
9th August 2008, 08:05 AM
My CNC PC has an onboard video card - works just fine.

Dunno about the USB->printer port cable

WillyInBris
9th August 2008, 11:13 AM
"Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM "

^-- Min requirement for mach 3.

I will be getting a new motherboard with onboard graphics, todays onboard should be enough right?

Does anyone know if I can use a USB to Printer Port cable?

Does it make any difference to using the printer port over USB?

Just the standard one, I just seen some for $15 would save running a bulky cable around.

Re MB

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,3541.0.html

From what I have just read in the just a couple of Min's it looks like as I guessed that some onboard video cards put more stress on the processor and chipset causing driver issues but doing the Mach3 driver test will point those out if you already have the board.

I wouldn't think that the newer boards these days should have a problem though but don't hold me to it.:cool:

Do afurther search on the Mach3 forum for more info.

Re USB this is from the Xylotex site:
No. The STEP and DIR signals need to have an even pulse train output. Normal USB-printer adpaters are not "real time" and would provide a ragged pulse train. This would cause the motors to stall. There are some Windows based programs that can commincate with specific USB-Pulse generator adapters. See the Links page: http://www.xylotex.com/links.htm (http://www.xylotex.com/links.htm) and look under the heading: Interesting USB CNC devices.

To Run USB you would need a Smoothstepper driver US$155 I think they are only new http://www.warp9td.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Sean

Ch4iS
9th August 2008, 03:30 PM
Ok, na I dont have the board yet otherwise I would try it :P.

I will be getting the motherboard from MSY some time next week, it will have my old core 2 duo 6420 in it.

Should be fine if not I will have to get a low profile PCI-e video card.

BTW thanks for the responses.

Ch4iS
20th October 2008, 02:14 AM
Long time to bring this back up but now with 99.9% completion I have.

Google Sketchup to produce the 3d files I already know how to use google sketchup so it should be fine.

and

Mach 3 to do the cutting.

What is everyone using for setting up the cutting ect? is everyone using vectrics software? If so what is everyone using?

I'll probbaly be purchasing Cut 2D if that is the best, are there any free programs?

appiwood
20th October 2008, 06:50 AM
Hello Blueray

I am using Cut3d and have found it easy to learn and to use, I looked at lots of free or low cost software and didn't find any that suited me, CamBam was close but not at the same level as the Vectric products.

There is a code generator in Mach3 ( Lazycam??? ) I haven't used it but if it anything like the Mach products it should be easy to use as well.

I don't think Cut2d will do 3D machining, best to check before you put down your low value AU$'s.

Ed

WillyInBris
20th October 2008, 07:31 AM
Yes Ed from my understanding cut 2d is a cut down version of Vcarve Pro but at $149us thats a darn good for the price.

If your looking to do 3D work then Cut 3D is what you want thats for sure.

Have you looked at the http://www.vectorart3d.com/ site you can download a free program that comes with a couple of free files for you to have a bit of a play with, you can only use the files fromm the vector ART 3D site with this program thats why its free but it will allow you to have a play with 3D work and get a Idea of whats required.

I hope I haven confused you If you can give us an Idea of what you want to achieve then we can point you in the direction needed.

tooldog
20th October 2008, 08:51 AM
Just my 2cents worth here ...

When choosing software, considering the cost of it .. it comes down to what you want to do with your time. If you want to spend time on the computer assigning tool paths manualy on each part etc then the cheap or "free" stuff is fine. But dont forget what your time is worth. The better "expensive" software will work better for you if you would rather spend time working with the parts you have cut on the machine instead of being a computer programer.

I know some of you are going to say "no .. its easy and doesnt take up any time at all" but its not easy for everyone. Some one the "older" generation need easy. So my point is .. free is not always free ..

Ch4iS
20th October 2008, 11:38 AM
Thats the thing, if Cut 3d is what everyone is using I should probbaly just go cut 3d as they do not have a option to upgrade from cut 2d to cut 3d only to vcarve pro.

I run a small business myself so money is not really a issue even thou I would rather not pay alot :(

Comes to

~$220 for Cut 2D
~$430 for Cut 3D

Even thou I think software prices are way too high.

Worth the investment into Cut 3D?

Do these licences last forever or do they have a fixed amount of time you can get updates from them?

Anyone got a licence they are not using :D

Another thing is, I dont think I will be doing 3d objects, but that could change down the track.

rodm
20th October 2008, 11:52 AM
Another thing is, I dont think I will be doing 3d objects, but that could change down the track.

Then choice is easy - get Cut2D or if you want something more elaborate VcarvePro.
Cut 2D will give you a bundled package of drawing tools and a heavily discounted upgrade path to their other products once you have sorted out your machine usage. License gives you software (download) and 12 months of upgrades.

I started out using Corel Draw and Turbocad and Lazycam but it was clunky and easy to get things wrong. More time designing than was needed and more room for error. On a simple project I can start from scratch and be on the machine in ten minutes with toolpaths using Vectric products.

Ch4iS
20th October 2008, 04:26 PM
bought vectric cut 2d works great :D

works great with SketchUp also.

I just cut my router mount in scrap MDF, it just did not cut any of the tabs I assigned (probbaly a error on my part)

I also had the router running around the table with a 400mm square.

Pics will come soon.