PDA

View Full Version : joint-genie , the easy to use dowelling system

winnee73
1st August 2008, 03:15 AM
I have found a dowelling system that is so easy to use ,that i thought it ideal for people with disabilities or in fact anyone . Has anyone heard of it or used one?

Link added by .http://www.joint-genie.co.uk/

Honorary Bloke
1st August 2008, 06:11 AM
I have found a dowelling system that is so easy to use ,that i thought it ideal for people with disabilities or in fact anyone . Has anyone heard of it or used one?

I just watched a bit of the youtube demo of this product. It is a POS as far as I can tell. :wink::wink: Screw it on? :p:p:p

Ron Dunn
1st August 2008, 07:55 AM
winnee73, you wouldn't be the manufacturer, would you?

I'm a great fan of dowelling and own a number of jigs. The Dowelmax is my favourite.

Based only on the Joint Genie video, here is an opinion I wrote in another forum:

From the video, here is what I like about Joint Genie:

* End-registration tab
* Parallel bars for multiple rows of dowels
* Packaging

What I thought was interesting, but not proven as accurate:

* Multiple tab offset method
* Screw mounting method (got a feeling I'd hate this)

Here is what I didn't like:

* No in-built clamping
* No replacable bushings in guide block (?)

Based on your usage (if you're a hobbyist) or design (if you're the manufacturer) would you care to comment?

Because I'm a dowelling nut I'd like to buy one to add to my collection, but I'd rather see it first. I'll keep an eye open at local woodworking shows.

artme
1st August 2008, 07:00 PM
What about the Ozzie Jig????:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ron Dunn
1st August 2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, I think Ozzie is good, just not as good as it might be. I have one, but it isn't my favourite.

The best things about it are:

* Australian (yes, it feels good to buy something made here)
* Innovative mirror-image system
* End-registration

The areas where it falls down in my opinion are:

* No bushings in guide block
* No integrated clamping

Things that make me go hmmmm:

* Sucky web-site that doesn't appear to have changed since first created
* Lack of marketing (has anyone seen the maker in a forum, for example?)
* Stagnant innovation

Comparing Ozzie and Joint Genie would be interesting.

jimhanna
1st August 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm a hobbyist in the UK, I looked at the Joint Genie when I became frustrated trying to drill multiple dowels with a commercial dowel jig ( a Wolfcraft)
I recently was putting together a plywood case and wanted to put a couple of dowels at each joint for alignment, the Wolfcraft only allows one hole to be drilled before I have to move it.

I didn't like the price of the Joint Genie.

I just made up a home-made jig to drill out multiple holes for 8mm dowels at one go with a couple of bits of ply and some steel pipe as bushing. It's not hardened bushing but it's adequate and cheap.

The local DIY shed sells 10mm external diameter mild steel pipe, nominal 1mm thickness. The internal diameter is just a shade less than 8mm.

I used a drill press to make some right angle 10mm holes in the plywood, cut a few lengths of pipe (after boring it out to 8mm) as sleeving and just pressed these in with a little glue to hold them in place. Another piece of plywood is used as a fence.

I just align against one of my parts to be jointed using one face of the jig and then flip the jig over and use the opposite side of the jig when marking the other part.

As long as the plywood has one straight square edge and the holes are drilled square on the drill press then the holes will align.

Placing the centre of the 10mm holes approx 9mm in from the edge roughly centres the dowel in 18mm stock and allows clearance for a stop collar on an 8mm drill. The large size allows easy clamping to the stock.

Pictures tell a better story.

1. a picture of the completed jig
2. a picture of the pipe being drilled out to 8mm
3. a picture of the A side of the jig being used
4. then the B side
5. the two components after drilling
6. a (poor) picture showing one of the sleeves half inserted
7. a picture of my commercial jig

Different
2nd August 2008, 12:56 AM
Looks like a pain in the butt to me. There are plenty of well thought out accurate jigs to choose from and this ain't one of them .

Ross

les88
2nd August 2008, 08:33 AM
not for me, but I am a Domino man
les

Christos
2nd August 2008, 12:30 PM
I think that it is a good idea in doing something your self.

I have the ozzie jig and do use this now and then.