PDA

View Full Version : Trees stolen after been cut

robutacion
1st August 2008, 04:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I will try to remember as I write this thread that is passed midnight so, the events happen yesterday and the day before, I explain;
Wednesday, I had it planned and organised to cut some small dead gums on a fence line, and cut 2 unknown trees near dead, a few meters from that fence line. I cut 2 small dead gums that did fall on the outside of the fence, where the trailer and vehicle were. Cut the gums into firewood size logs and while my wife Merissa was starting to load the 6x4 trailer, I decided to cut these 2 unknown trees, that grow there after the highway was built years ago, but never planted so they were wild stuff.

I took some pics of the first one with one one upright branch still up, and behind it is the other one, which is a different species with some dry "pods" still on it as you can see in the pic. Anyway, I cut the 2 trees and had already sorted and cut to small lengths (about 3") for easy storage and transportation, when I realise that the trailer was full already of the dead gum (firewood only), and were still lots of gum logs left so we picked them up and packed them all on the other side of the fence, there is inside of the paddock. After we had the gum sorted, we proceeded to carry all the wood from these 2 beautiful coloured trees back to the same spot at the fence, but this time we left them on the outside, there is the same side from where the trees were cut. We have done this firstly because the timber was extremely heavy to throw over the fence, and second we needed to clean all the area where the trees were cut plus some smaller timber that broke apart when the gums hit the ground. Everything was piled up in a safe area and set a light so, in no time (20 minutes) all the left over branches etc., were gone and the place clean.
The idea was to comeback yesterday (Thursday) about lunch time, and load first all that red unknown wood that I did cut specifically for wood turning, firstly because we were expecting some rain for Thursday afternoon/evening, which we end up getting, as I wanted the timber to be under cover before any more rain. The 2 trees would make a very overfull trailer, with some possible logs needing to go inside the Ford Waggon. The rest of the dead gum would be picked up next time (few days) after a would cut a couple more to make the load. Well, this was the plane anyway but, when we arrived to the location, we realised that all the red timber i did cut from those 2 trees, was gone, apart from 2 small sticks, on small branch and half of the bottom log from the tree butt, as this butt was split from the ground and one half i didn't wanted to cut any smaller on site, making it the heavier piece but still easy enough for a strong bloke to pick it up off the ground. I had some really good size logs (about 500kg) to work into turning blanks, and the fact that I never seen or turned this nice coloured and very heavy wood. Someone seen us cutting it and waited for as to leave and steal it from us. We left about 4:30pm and I' sure it was done late at night or very early in the morning but my bet is, late at night!:((

I can't describe how shocked and upset I was to lose hours of work and timber that never had and with great potential to turn into some very unique pieces...! bugger, bugger! I have no doubt that who did it is going to burnt it as firewood, bastards...!:((

Now, can any of you recognise these 2 tree species, at least the one in close up shots?

Cheers:doh:
RBTCO

artme
1st August 2008, 08:07 AM
:((:((:((

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2008, 08:29 AM
mate that stinks hope you manage to sneak yourself smoe more of it for y ou
Toni

Rum Pig
1st August 2008, 08:47 AM
OH thanks for cutting that for me RBTCO it is much appreciated.I will send you a pen when I'm done.:bleh:

Of course I'm only kidding:U long way for me to come just to do a dirty dog thing like that:~ I hope you find them and give them what for:D

I can not help with identification of your trees sorry:no:
But if I was to guess would it be a wattle ( leaves do not look right) just going by the bark and your description of the weight??

TTIT
1st August 2008, 09:55 AM
Looks like casuarina cristata (AKA Sheoak, Belah), probably the subspecies 'pauper' (Black sheoak) down your way. The sheoaks happen to be known as one of our best firewoods - someone knows what they're looking for!

BobL
1st August 2008, 10:16 AM
Bastards!
Hope they choke on the smoke.

Stuart
1st August 2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry to hear, but just a question - isn't timber on the naturestrip (or road (public)side of a fence) pretty much regarded as fair game? In the city it seems to be the case, with people stacking unwanted timber on the naturestrip in the expectation that someone who wants it will clear it away.

It might be that the perpetrator thought they were doing you a favour, clearing away some unwanted timber. Of course, I might be wrong, and they were just common-grade wankers too.

Terry B
1st August 2008, 01:44 PM
Free precut firwood as far as the thief was concerned.
Shame

Sawdust Maker
1st August 2008, 01:47 PM
Bugger

RETIRED
1st August 2008, 01:49 PM
Have to agree with Stuart.

Most roadside loppers cut the bigger bits into firewood size for people to collect.

Woodwould
1st August 2008, 02:01 PM
I always left smaller stuff (250mm diameter and under) on the side of the road in manageable lengths for anyone that wanted it (it saved me dragging it home or to the tip), so I'm not surprised it dissapeared.

fxst
1st August 2008, 03:08 PM
yep what and Woodwould said...:D
Up here the trees on the footpaths and nature strips when lopped are left in firewood sizes for people to pick up.
Most spring/summer loppings go into my trailer for firewood, pens etc
If inside the fence line then that woul be stealing ....on the public side its called collecting firewood
Pete

China
1st August 2008, 11:41 PM
I have to agree that most people would have thought it was there for the taking, it is a very common thing for land owners to do

Seventh Wood
1st August 2008, 11:57 PM
RBTCO,

I am in rural South Australia and I am feeling a bit guilty because on the way through Clare today, tree Loppers were trimming trees around the Clare oval. I had just been to the Clare dump and conveniently had the empty trailer in tow - so three good bits of pepper tree, one up to 400 mm thick, and several other bits of elm/ash and I was on my way - but with the knowledge of the loppers.

I have noticed that in the area of Adelaide that I lived, people will just leave cut timber on the footpath and it will dissapear within hours. I have scored some good turning bits this way.

A local vacant lot with three large red gums is a further example. The trees could not be removed, given the current tree presevation rules, but they were poisoned by the owners/developers over several months, then one day I noticed they were no longer standing. By the time I got there, almost all of the timber had disappeared and I scored about 4 hunks suitable for bowls, but two other blokes were loading up trailers and were only going to use the beautiful timber as firewood! So by the end of the day, all of the timber was gone - and in broad daylight!

Sorry to hear about your loss - it pays to be able to take away what you cut!

Cheers

7th wood

JJK
2nd August 2008, 12:59 AM
The tree with the red colour wood is a sheoak species as TTiT says and the pods are seed cones which cockatoos love to eat. These trees are common around the Goolwa area. The wood is a typical sheoak with the flecked pattern, but when drying out it splits like hell. It is heavy and it is considered as good firewood!
I thought it is illegal to cut down trees alongside public roads or goverment land unless you have goverment permission (not that I'm doubting you dont). :?

robutacion
2nd August 2008, 01:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
I do know and acknowledge what some loppers and some Council's do with trees by the side of the roads, what it means and what we all do, but this was a very different matter, what do you think is not quite right with this picture...!.
Old fence line (800 meters long) running beside a highway (40 meters) with 90% of planted unknown gum species dead and breaking apart. I started last week from the corner closer to an access road to the highway, took one trailer loaded and left 2 piles (2 trailers full) of firewood cut size gum, against the old fence. In between firewood piles, I pilled up the small branches as also some green stuff from trimming the trees that were still alive. Due to the rubbish that I was leaving behind, I contacted the Council with 2 requests, one was for a permit to burn, the other was the request permission to remove 4 (four) dead, semi-dead and diseased trees locate beside the highway. I was required to provide GPS location readings and photos of those 4 trees, together with the reason why I was at that location. After providing all the information required, I had a response saying that "the 4 trees are indeed a pest, therefore of no environmental significance to the Shire". I got also a 4 week burning permit with 3 separate burn-outs, with time and day to be advise by me, at least 12 hours before end.
The highway at the location of the trees, was raised on construction about 10 to 15 meters above paddock ground level so, unless one stops on the right side of the highway, the travelling speed does allow much visibility at all to the ground bellow.
Last Wednesday when I decided to cut some more old gums, cut 2 of the 4 trees outside the fence (the ones closer to the area where I was working), and pile up all the branches and left overs from the days cutting but also, clean all the other branches left beside the fence from the previous cuttings, all outside of the fence, exactly where one of the Council trees did stand, and set it a light. As I mention previously, my wife did fill up the trailer with firewood (old gum) from one of the previous piles left at the fence line, while I did take care of the cutting on both sides of the fence. The interesting thing is that, from the paddock side the old gum I did cut (firewood size) was pushed against the fence, while on the exact other side of the fence, I pushed all the timber from those 2 unknown species, cut in bigger sizes (woodturning purposes) for later sorting and splitting/slabbing, at home. I kept the timbers separate, only by the old (lose/low) fence.
After the fire was done and finished with, we got in the vehicle about 4:30 pm to get back on the access road (50 meters away) and then to the highway on the intersection 70 to 80 meters away, and then home. Now picture this, as we stopped to get into the highway, we notice a vehicle parked well off the road, next to an old collapsed tree (some kind:?) about 100 meters to the right of us. This was an old model, white Commodore sedan, with 2 people around it. One was a well built male (middle 30 Th's), the other was a skinny, small frame female (Asian maybe, early 30 Th's). While the female was trying to get out of site, the male person had a small petrol chainsaw in his hands and was just leading on the vehicles booth, in what it seem to be cutting a piece of a branch overhanging from the booth. I remember that I've made a comment to my wife "seems someone else is getting some firewood"!, as we were moving on.
The next day we decided to go back an get that red nice wood, and top up with some old gum if needed, as we were leaving behind 2 loads out of every 3 loads we cut, so would be no cutting that day.
Well, you know what happen next, as I know that they (who ever) did it, were there not that long after we left. How do I know?, because they (he/she) throw a empty bottle of "Red Bull" energy drink into the spot where the fire did burn, and the paper label on the bottle was only half burn, which means that the ashes were still hot but not enough to burn the paper completely from the glass bottle. The tyres tracks were also from radial tyres, similar to those used on vehicles like mine, Commodore's, etc.:~
Now, I'm not making any accusations, you make your own judgement!
Am I upset about it?, I sure am...! why? firstly because some idiot made me work hours for nothing, is going to burn some rare and beautiful wood that was selected and prepared for wood turning, second I don't take well when someone steals from me, third if they have asked for some firewood, I would have gave them 2 or 3 loads of it, the gum one not that red wood. I have never denied firewood to anyone that needed it and that asks me for some, indeed I have a wheelchair bound neighbour to which I offer to supply free of charge and stack in his shed, all the firewood he needs every winter, another 2 other places where I supply free of any charge, at least 2 to 4 trailers of firewood each winter so, no, I'm no charity institution, but a like to help free will, not been taken advantage off...!:((

I agree with TTIT when he says "Looks like casuarina cristata (AKA Sheoak, Belah), probably the subspecies 'pauper' (Black sheoak) down your way. The sheoaks happen to be known as one of our best firewoods - someone knows what they're looking for!"
Remember, 2 trailers full of the dead gum were left on that same fence, half of the distance from the access road, for nearly a week, they had to go pass it to go any further, and the day (moment) they took the red timber, another 2 trailers full of the gum, were inches away on the other side of the fence, which anyone could easily reach or go over without any difficulty but they didn't touch the gum.

Was this an accidental "grab"?, was this a common side road pic-up? no it was not, only someone that seen me cut it from the access road would know, as they knew I left it behind, they couldn't see it otherwise.

I do hope that they get some good warmth out of that wood, as I hope they get a finger or two burn from it, so that they will always remember, they got it from the timber they stole from me!:~

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but, I still have 500 meters of fence to clear (old gum), plus the other 2 trees (similar to the first 2) to cut. All the timber has been picked-up, and I will only cut what I can fit on the trailer each time but, I'm considering to "bait them" with the other 2 trees, I know they wouldn't resist...! that or just cut and take them away immediately. I'm just to old for this s#@&...:o:no:

Anyway, does anyone need firewood?:;:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Calm
2nd August 2008, 06:50 AM
As previous posts have said, wood left on the side of the road is fair taking.

The fire would bring attention to the location.

To assume/cast aspersions that the people you saw took it is totally irelavant.

I guess the moral is dont leave cut wood for others to take. Leave it in log form so they at least have to do some of the work.

Bad luck but chalk it down to experience.

Cheers

robutacion
2nd August 2008, 04:46 PM
No, no, sorry Calm, I can't agree with you on the first part of your comment, this wasn't a road pick-up, nor the timber was left on the side of the road. Nevertheless, I thank and encourage loppers, Council guys and property owners to leave timbers that are not wanted, is places where people can easily identify as "free to take", instead of burning it all in a big pile. I also understand that this is not always possible, even tough I have answered to news paper adds and billboard notices, to people that advertised their timbers to be given away. I have myself cut lots of trees that had the fall on to the road side (safe distance), marked the area with red tape overnight so that people wouldn't get too close, for safety reasons and to allow people to see that was work in progress, even tough, most of the tree was on the road side. In some of those situations, I would must more prefer to leave some of the smaller timbers pilled up on the side of the road for people to take, voiding me to have to load them into the trailer only to give it away later on. I normally get requested to take all timbers away and leave the place clean, so I make my "side of the road pick-ups" possible, in other ways.

So, for everyone out there, don't feel ashamed to do road pic-ups, they are there for a reason, BUT make no mistake, my red timber issue, was no road pick-up, one don't need to have a degree in criminality and investigation matters to see the difference, as I'm certain many of you will agree with me, this was no mistake...!

I could/can very easily (as mentioned on my previous post), have those responsible, comeback for more and court them red handed, in the next few days, and possibly recover all or most of the timbers stolen. I could them ask the question "directly" and in a Police interview room, how did they know about this particular timber and location, and then have them charged. Fact-, the timber was my property (Council permit), Fact-, the timber was not visible from the road, Fact- trespassing with the intent to steal, Fact-, littering on public property, Fact-, repeating the offence(s).

What are the lessons to be learn and the moral to all of this? lets see...!

1- There is a lots of generous people out there, don't forget that.
2- Make sure the timbers were left as a free pick-up, side of the road or not.
3- Make an attempt to ask someone, what's going on.
4- Don't be afraid to ask permission to collect timbers, you will get a "big" yes most of the times.
5- If on Council property/public property, there are many types of permits specifically created and targeted to cover your needs/requests. Make the effort to contact them and ask.
6- Most people and Departments will be happy to help you.
7- Be a rewarding timber salvager.
8- Make sure you know what you are doing.
9- If uncertain, leave it.
10- Think how you would like others to respect your property, and retribut..!
11- Just don't do stupid things, is a good change you get your fingers burn, if playing with fire...!:D

Does this sounds fair to you, well it makes sense to me...!:)

PS: the pic is from the other 2 trees left, hummmm come on pussycat...!:busted:

RBTCO

mega
2nd August 2008, 07:07 PM
but it's not worth getting upset and busting your boiler.. or risling a stroke.
just remember that 99.5% of people are good people and the rest.. they get ther just deserts..eventually.

bsrlee
3rd August 2008, 01:31 AM
Look on the bright side, they didn't cut down the fences on your property, drive a truck on, herd all your live stock onto the highway, then cut down several live trees in the paddock & leave them, cut up the dead trees & drive off leaving you to 1)fix the fences 2) find your stock - and you know they are coming back to do it again as they left the green timber to season in the paddock.

Happened repeatedly to friends of mine - eventually had to move, could not afford the fence repairs, pound fees & all the local kids were taking the horses home (Look Mum, it followed me, can I keep it?) so they never did find all their breeding mares.

robutacion
4th August 2008, 01:43 AM
Hi bsrlee,
Well, I could also say, look on the bright site, at least they didn't take the stock with them...!:oo: Is all horses for courses, even tough, make no mistake, I believe the events you just described, is just going to far, well deserving of a few years in jail for those responsible, no doubt.:((
I'm aware of similar stories, some even worse, the point is, is all this necessary?
Certain things I will never accept, regardless...!:~

RBTCO
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 781072" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125></TD><TD class=alt1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Christopha
4th August 2008, 02:28 PM
Tell yourself it was only Sheoak, it would have split like blazes within a couple of hours of cutting it and therefore only good for burmning.
If you left it all cut ready for the first bloke past to collect then you asked for it really.... not being nasty here it's just a fact of country life!

I have had my firewood stolen from the woodshed and once a former "friend" asked me if he could have some of my redgum burl to turn... The lowlife took it ALL and then actually sold it and made a very nice quid too! That's theft!

robutacion
4th August 2008, 04:27 PM
Tell yourself it was only Sheoak, I'm still not sure of that it is, I'm having a gut feeling that has something to do with that other red wood that asked is was "Bloodwood" on a previous thread! would have split like blazes within a couple of hours of cutting it and therefore only good for burning.
If you left it all cut ready for the first bloke past to collect then you asked for it really.... not being nasty here it's just a fact of country life! Yeah, you would be right if that was the case but if you read my post right, that wasn't it.

I have had my firewood stolen from the woodshed :o, are you sure?, could it be those big birds that built their nests out of dry, pre-cut, preferentially firewood size logs? :D:; and once a former "friend" asked me if he could have some of my redgum burl to turn... The lowlife took it ALL and then actually sold it and made a very nice quid too! That's theft! Who needs enemies, when you can get friends like that?:((

RBTCO

WillBrook
4th August 2008, 05:07 PM
I don't know about Shoak/Bulloake only being good for burning. Check out the table my wife made from Bulloake we cut on our farm. She had to put in on casters otherwise we can't move it.

Grumpy John
4th August 2008, 05:15 PM
She had to put in on casters otherwise we can't move it.

Beautiful table, better take the casters off or someone might steal it :D:D

Woodwould
4th August 2008, 05:43 PM
She had to put in on casters otherwise we can't move it.

Does that not tell you the timber is more suited to firewood? :U

WillBrook
4th August 2008, 06:18 PM
Only if you like moving the furniture on a regular basis.