PDA

View Full Version : Bookbinder's plough

KevinB
2nd August 2008, 12:25 AM
Does anyone know where I can find plans for making one?

To explain, it is used to trim the rough edges of pages of a newly made book thus finishing it.

I saw one today at a craft show but I couldn't stop to look at it closely. It was working very well and there were clever things about it that suggested it was made carefully at someone's home. In principle it wasn't far removed from the idea that gave us our woodworkers' shooting board.

I have some old books that need re-binding and re-trimming and now is the time to start.

Do you know any web sites or books that might help me?

I shall be grateful for any information.

Best wishes,

. . .Kevin

jmk89
2nd August 2008, 08:45 AM
Kevin

When I was at Uni, I knocked one up which worked pretty well. I just looked at pictures in Amateur bookbinding books and fitted it around what I had to hand. I would be happy to take some photos of it for you, but I am sure you could do a better job.

echnidna
2nd August 2008, 09:23 AM
try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bookbinding/?yguid=125450587

now closed for listings, but has been replaced by.

http://bookbindingforum.com/forum/

KevinB
2nd August 2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Echidna,

Thanks for referring me to the bookbindingforum site: I appreciate it.

I have two books one of which is merely two years old and has its pages falling out. Ironically it's a book about making woodworkers' jigs and aids.

The other is much, much older. I left the book on the passenger's seat of my car and the window was wound down. It rained. The cover on my book now looks like a sheet of corrugated iron. Gotta fix it.

Thanks again,

. . . KevinB

KevinB
2nd August 2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been referred to a bookbinders' forum so I'll be looking in there for a design, too.

Jeremy, it sounds as if yours is a straight-forward design. That's what I'm looking for. If you have time and if it's no trouble to you, I'd love to have a look.

Regards,

Kevin B

jmk89
2nd August 2008, 12:56 PM
I'll take some photos next time I am at my Mum's where the bookbinding stuff lives