PDA

View Full Version : stretch a GIS

dogfuel
3rd August 2008, 07:30 AM
Hi -
I've seen some references to a lengthed GIS - do any plans for this exist (or feedback from someone who has done it). I love the GIS but really would like 17 -19 feet.

Don't know much about boat design but I do know enough to doubt it is as easy as stretching the existing plan. even if it is, I assume the sail and centerboard will require modification. Any tips on doing this or warnings not to?

Thanks!

Boatmik
3rd August 2008, 12:10 PM
The warning is not to do it unless you can handle the design issues which are not small!

And never think of shrinking a Goat ... that way madness lies!

I will do a better reply later.

MIK

dogfuel
3rd August 2008, 01:59 PM
I figured as much ... I'm looking for a boat for the everglades challenge and just need a bit more room than the standard GIS for one to sleep while the other rows/sails.

Thank for the warning - may have to go with a CS17 on this one (the Goat looks like a better boat for my needs in every other way - what a design!).

Or if there bas a double "Beth" ...
Joe

Theodor
3rd August 2008, 10:19 PM
I figured as much ... I'm looking for a boat for the everglades challenge and just need a bit more room than the standard GIS for one to sleep while the other rows/sails.

Thank for the warning - may have to go with a CS17 on this one (the Goat looks like a better boat for my needs in every other way - what a design!).

Or if there bas a double "Beth" ...
Joe

LOL .. pure fuel to a fire...

dogfuel
4th August 2008, 03:01 AM
I'm not trying to fuel a fire <grin> just looking for an excuse to build a GIS.

On the subect of mods, any harm in off-centering the board 8 inches or so? Or does the "Only idiots modify fine plans" axiom apply even to things a seemingly harmless as this?

Thanks!

dogfuel
4th August 2008, 12:32 PM
I built a model in card stock and am starting to think the standard GIS will do the trick.

How much of a performance improvement with a few folks does the balanced lug rig offer over a Laser setup?

Thanks

Theodor
4th August 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm not trying to fuel a fire <grin> just looking for an excuse to build a GIS.

On the subect of mods, any harm in off-centering the board 8 inches or so? Or does the "Only idiots modify fine plans" axiom apply even to things a seemingly harmless as this?

Thanks!

I can't say I'm in these forums daily, but I have seen enough threads to know that suggesting certain mods get's on designers' goats (there could be a pun in there if you think laterally enough). For instance, this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=76549) is happening as we speak and Michael even speaks in red there!

Having asked for mods myself, I can only recommend for you to be prepared...!

Personally, I think the GIS is a beautiful looking craft. If I was to read back over the threads of my suggested mods, I think I'd be laughing rather hard at myself.

Boatmik
5th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Howdy Dogfuel,

Can the Laser approach ... no - one has ever done it and you compare the paltry 79sq ft of the laser sail to the 105 of the lug ... and ...

Additionally the lug is reefable.

The purpose of the laser idea was to build a cheap boat ... but until I saw the first goat in the flesh (or actually in photos from Peter Hyndman) ... I didn't realise just how beautiful it was.

Now I would say the Laser option was completely inappropriate for everything about the boat. YOu lose the performance and the looks and the ability to reef.

Not worth doing.

MIK

dogfuel
5th August 2008, 02:41 PM
Ok ... the lug rig and sraight from the plans.

can't wait!