PDA

View Full Version : camphor laurel

bowl-basher
3rd August 2008, 09:24 PM
Hi all
Finaly got back to the shed after a few wweks of working on the weekends
that work can sure make a mess of your turning time:oo:
I rough turned this 6 weeks ago from a very green bit of camphor it had only been down a month when I got it. left in Metho for 3 weeks and dryed on top of the wardrobe
(most steady temp.in the house.) finished to 800 grit and Ubeaut Glow then EEE and a further 2 coats of Glow som of the small knots were stabilised with CA after rough turning
Look forward to your comments
Bowl Basher

weisyboy
3rd August 2008, 10:06 PM
nice job.

it takes good workmanship to make a pale peice of camphor like that look good.

joe greiner
4th August 2008, 08:21 PM
Just right, BB. And looks like a winner for the drying process, too.

Dimensions:?

The middle pic seems a slightly different colour; possibly due to different lighting. Your camera may have a manually-set white balance; check the instruction book. Even "daylight" setting can change during the day. I've adopted the habit of carrying a white card for my camera, along with spare batteries and a tripod, just in case.

Joe

bowl-basher
4th August 2008, 08:31 PM
:D
Joe the bowl is 250mm in dia and stands 70mm to the rim
The pis were just taken on my kitcken table and I am at a loss to explain the diffrence in colour piks 1 & 3 are closest to the true colour
Bowl -basher

joe greiner
5th August 2008, 08:22 PM
Hard to tell about the colour, BB. At the lower angle of attack, it might just pull in more light from a window of sunlight. The manual white balance is particularly useful in mixed lighting. For pics at my lathe, I often have a compact fluoro pointing at the work, a halogen bouncing off the open garage door above, and some sunlight sneaking in athwartships past accidental shading - all the discipline of a Mideast bazaar.:D:rolleyes:

Joe

orraloon
5th August 2008, 10:18 PM
Nice job there BB. I do like camphor as a turning wood even when it brings out a rash on the arms. Only happens with the green wood. The end result is worth a bit of hassle. Oh what we do for our obsessions!
Regards
John

ficfac
7th August 2008, 08:12 PM
smells great too. I made a spin top the other night and smelt like camphor all the next day!:)

artme
8th August 2008, 07:46 AM
Wonderful work BB from a really colourful piece of CL.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: