PDA

View Full Version : Timber for oars in WA

KJL38
4th August 2008, 05:41 PM
What timber do people recommend for oars and can you suggest a supplier in WA?

The oars I intend making are for an Adirondack Guideboat and were traditionally around 8' long and often made from soft maple.

thanks
Kelvin :)

Daddles
4th August 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't know that I'd use the word 'recommend' but all my oars are made out of radiata pine :oo: It can be fun going through the shop's entire stock trying to find a plank that's clear or clear enough for your purposes, but's part of the joy.

Whatever you use, try to get both oars from one plank in an attempt to match their characteristics. That's not all that hard really.

Richard

(this is the only half hour I can dedicate to boat stuff this week - &^^%$#$ uni, it's worse this semester than last :()

anewhouse
4th August 2008, 07:54 PM
When I bought a couple of bits of King Billy Pine for kayak paddles from a timberyard in Queenstown, Tas, an old timer there assured me that it was a good choice because he said people used to make oars from it. It made good kayak paddles.

b.o.a.t.
5th August 2008, 03:17 AM
When I bought a couple of bits of King Billy Pine for kayak paddles from a timberyard in Queenstown, Tas, an old timer there assured me that it was a good choice because he said people used to make oars from it. It made good kayak paddles.

That'd be the Bradshaws?

anewhouse
5th August 2008, 09:03 AM
That'd be the Bradshaws?

Yes. I found them very helpful.

b.o.a.t.
5th August 2008, 03:31 PM
Yes. I found them very helpful.

Good people the Bradshaws. One of the original timber-getting families on the West Coast.
Most of the forests they had been saw-logging for nearly a century were declared
"pristine wilderness" & locked up in the world heritage area. Media crews & activists
from both sides used the Bradshaws' logging tracks to access the area to "prove" their
respective points... Many half-truths & blatant lies told by both sides. Very unhappy
times all round, but a wonderful part of the world to live in.
cheers
Alan J

KJL38
6th August 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know how much effect weight has on oars? I'm guessing less than on paddles as most of the weight is supported by the rowlock but if it had no effect the competitive rowers wouldn't use carbon fibre.

Would Karri be too dense? Or maybe peppermint if I can find some? I remember my father saying it was good for buggy shafts so I think oars would have similar loads

thanks
Kelvin

b.o.a.t.
6th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know how much effect weight has on oars? I'm guessing less than on paddles as most of the weight is supported by the rowlock but if it had no effect the competitive rowers wouldn't use carbon fibre.

Would Karri be too dense? Or maybe peppermint if I can find some? I remember my father saying it was good for buggy shafts so I think oars would have similar loads

thanks
Kelvin

Go lighter if possible - weight is supported by the rowlocks but inertia of heavier oars
means you have to do more work pushing them around - starting & stopping them
twice on each stroke. Clear Oregon is fine for paddles, so I suspect it would be ok for
oars too. Or any other wood with similar properties. Lighter wood floats better when
dropped over the side too... :doh:
cheers