PDA

View Full Version : G'Day - Firewood Docking Saw info needed

Dunny
5th August 2008, 04:23 PM
G'Day one and all,

I have a a large amount of hardwood beams I need to sort into "structural/furniture" and "firewood" grades and need to purchase a commercial grade docking saw that will see the distance. I have looked at the Rex Log Saw but at 95K it's specs would be beyond what I need.

We will be cutting beans mostly at 300x100 but there will be a few at 460x390 so a large diamter blade would be needed.

I've had a brief look on Google but without much luck and would prefer not to have to import if I can avoid it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers

STAR
5th August 2008, 05:13 PM
Wellcome. I suggest that if you go to the SMALL TIMBER MILLING section of this forum you will have all you need to know and most likely what you didn't need as well.

All the experts and the try hard ( Me ) are there. Do not take any notice of me, but the others will be able to point you in the right direction or at least away from the wrong area.

artme
5th August 2008, 09:06 PM
G'day Dunny. Thats what I call true recycling.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

And remember, he who cuts his own wood warms himself twice.

Big Shed
5th August 2008, 09:13 PM
And remember, he who cuts his own wood warms himself twice.

Art, in my case (and my neighbours) it is more than that!

First we have to cut the trees down in the forest and cut them to manageable lengths (at my age 4 ft, youger guys do 6 or 8 ft) and load them on the trailer. Then I have to stack them on my property after taking them home.

After drying for a couple of years they have to be curt to heater lengths (12"), some need to be split, then stacked ready to use.

Then I get warm from the heater (phew:o).

Keeps you fit but.....................

journeyman Mick
5th August 2008, 10:14 PM
Dunny,
what sort of quantities and size/weight are we talking about? If we're talking about stuff that's too heavy to lift for one person then tou're probably better off rough docking it with a chainsaw unless you have machinery to easily handle it.

Mick

Dunny
6th August 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Mick,

We'll have a 20 ton excavator with log grabs and a posi trak with forks so handling should be ok - it's really just a matter of docking it at consistent lengths.

Cheers