PDA

View Full Version : Hook tool

thefixer
5th August 2008, 10:36 PM
G'day all

I watched a few videos last night of pro turners demonstrating the hook tool for hollowing goblets, bowls, etc and i thought, "yeah right" these guys can make any tool look easy to use and they always seem to demonstrate with wood that turns like cheese. But curiosity got the better of me so I did a bit of sniffing around and I found a web site that shows how to make your own hook tool with basic materials. As it turned out I had all the necessary materials and equipment required for the job.
(concrete nails. 12mm steel rod, hammer, anvil and a roaring hot pot belly stove going in the cave. Bloody cold in Melbourne at the moment.) Anyway the pics tell the story and I was stoked with the result. I experimented with some very old dry yellow box that I had lying around. Basically just hollowed into a goblet shape and was amazed that the inside was smooth and shiny, hardly any sanding would have been required. Next I roughed turned a bowl of unidentified timber ( hardwood of some sort) and it was the most enjoyable bowl hollowing I have ever experienced. The shavings came off in ribbons and hardly any chatter from the MC1100 at all and it is almost impossible to get a nasty grab as long as you follow the right technique even on that nasty spot in the corner between cross and end grain. Anyway I give it the :2tsup:. A sensational tool especially for not so experienced turner. And it only took me about two hours to make.

Cheers
Shorty

Cliff Rogers
5th August 2008, 10:41 PM
Good on ya Shorty, can you post a link to the web site?

thefixer
5th August 2008, 10:42 PM
Good on ya Shorty, can you post a link to the web site?
Here ya cliff
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/hooktool.shtml

orraloon
5th August 2008, 10:59 PM
That is first rate. The proof is in the cutting.
I have seen the around the woods site and picked up a few tips there. I have not done a lot in metal work but the urge is building as far as turning tools are concerned.
How did you go with the tempering process. I have seen a few sites on blade making but I have always reckoned it takes considerable experience to temper a blade right.

Cliff Rogers
5th August 2008, 11:05 PM
Here ya cliff
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/hooktool.shtml

Beauty, ta. :2tsup:

thefixer
5th August 2008, 11:12 PM
That is first rate. The proof is in the cutting.
I have seen the around the woods site and picked up a few tips there. I have not done a lot in metal work but the urge is building as far as turning tools are concerned.
How did you go with the tempering process. I have seen a few sites on blade making but I have always reckoned it takes considerable experience to temper a blade right.

G'day Oraloon

I didn't have any trouble in tempering the steel. One of the advantages of having the pot belly in the shed. I can place the steel in the draught door at the bottom and get to red hot very quickly and can open the feed door at the top for a less severe heat. Only thing is I gotta get all this type of work done before the hot weather hits.

Cheers
Shorty

orraloon
5th August 2008, 11:30 PM
Trouble is I may get hooked on blacksmithing and not have time to woodwork.

thefixer
5th August 2008, 11:37 PM
Trouble is I may get hooked on blacksmithing and not have time to woodwork.

With the money you can save and the fun you can have making your own tools its worth the risk. I find I spend as much time making tools as I do turning. I get equal enjoyment from both. It also helps to have a patient and understanding SWMBO too. I only go indoors to eat and sleep, etc.:wink:

Cheers
Shorty

tea lady
6th August 2008, 12:30 AM
Looks interesting. Seems to be closer to pottery turning, especially the starting to the right of center.:cool: Can you make me one? (insert helpless girlie smilie here! :D)

thefixer
6th August 2008, 12:38 AM
Looks interesting. Seems to be closer to pottery turning, especially the starting to the right of center.:cool: Can you make me one? (insert helpless girlie smilie here! :D)

Hi TL

I'm gunna make a pile of the tips to keep on hand and replace them as they wear out. It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it. Your more than welcome to come down out of the hills and get a couple from me once they are done. I'll send you a pm when they're finished.

Cheers
Shorty

tea lady
6th August 2008, 12:45 AM
Cool.. :2tsup: Swap ya for a couple of mugs?

thefixer
6th August 2008, 12:46 AM
Cool.. :2tsup: Swap ya for a couple of mugs?

Deal:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm gunna make a pile of the tips to keep on hand and replace them as they wear out. It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it.

Sounds like you want to make a BIG batch of 'em... so you won't run out after people like me beg, borrow or steal 'em off you. :D

madcraft
6th August 2008, 06:21 PM
Sounds like you want to make a BIG batch of 'em... so you won't run out after people like me beg, borrow or steal 'em off you. :D

And me :doh::rolleyes:

Pat
6th August 2008, 06:55 PM
:welldone:

Arron
6th August 2008, 07:17 PM
One question, how do you fix the hook to the shaft. Is it just pushed into a hole in the shaft and held in place with a grub screw?

thanks
Arron

thefixer
6th August 2008, 09:32 PM
One question, how do you fix the hook to the shaft. Is it just pushed into a hole in the shaft and held in place with a grub screw?

thanks
Arron

G'day Arron

I drilled and tapped a M4 thread into the shaft and filed a flat on the insert. I then used a stainless steel grub screw.

Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
6th August 2008, 09:35 PM

Are you kidding me Skew? A fart smella like you would knock these up in your sleep:D:D

Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
6th August 2008, 10:01 PM
As promised here is the hook tool I made tonight for Tea Lady. I hope it serves her well. Looking forward to a couple nice coffee mugs:2tsup: Although, looking around this place tonight there is definately no shortage of mugs here :p

Cheers
Shorty

tea lady
7th August 2008, 12:52 AM
As promised here is the hook tool I made tonight for Tea Lady. I hope it serves her well. Looking forward to a couple nice coffee mugs:2tsup: Although, looking around this place tonight there is definately no shortage of mugs here :p

Cheers
Shorty

Ooooooooooooh! A new tool for my collection. I'll have doubled my turning tools.:cool::D

My mugs are the only ones which hold coffee or tea very well.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th August 2008, 02:36 AM
Are you kidding me Skew? A fart smella like you would knock these up in your sleep:D:D

I keep burning my fingers trying to heat the nails with a Bic. :p

Ackershully, I feel like a bit of a dill 'cos I've always wanted to try my hand at making a hook tool, but haven't 'cos my forge (An EK Holden wheel lined with clay :-) takes too long to set up. Mind you, I've always thought along the lines of forging the whole tool and not just a hook end that I could fix into any ol' oland tool handle... :doh:

Your idea, sirrah, is most definitely nicked!

bsrlee
7th August 2008, 09:24 PM
You lot need to get out more:D

Get a look at the wood volume of the York Archeological Trust' s excavation reports - its about 50% wood turning and it has a long section on hook tools and pole lathes. The bits about barrels and other wood stuff is 'good' too.

Craft Industry and Everyday Life: Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York by Carole A Morris
ISBN-13: 978-1-902771-10-6
ISBN-10: 1-902771-10-9
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/27758/OnlyResult/Yes

try interlibrary loan - I've got my own copy

powderpost
7th August 2008, 11:10 PM
Saw a Japanese woodturner in Proserpine, demonstrate making a 'hook' tool, out of a bar. Japanese turners use a 'hook' tool as their main tool for making bowls. The manufacturing process took a whole 25 minutes. The hook tool was used extensively by the old English 'bodgers' on their pole lathes, 100 years ago.
Jim