PDA

View Full Version : GIS - Glassing the mast

Joost
5th August 2008, 10:54 PM
Hello,

Work on the GIS has progressed despite a three week holiday away from home.

The hull is almost finished and I have also been working on other bits and pieces like the spars and foils. The foils have been glassed and the boom and yard have been completed as well.

The (square and hollow) mast is ready for the epoxy/glassing phase. Before starting work on it however, I would like to verify how many layers of light glass are appropriate here (especially considering the very interesting thread “First Impressions of a Goat” started by Compass Project). Don’t worry, I have built my GIS completely according to specs! J

So how many layers of (light) glass are needed on the lower part of the mast? Should I be putting 3 layers of glass on the lower part of the mast overlapping each other from 1.5 meters down as mentioned in the side-line of the builder’s manual or will less layers suffice?

Any recommendations on how to make sure the glassing on the mast will look tidy (straight seams and such) and good?

I will be posting pics of both the finished hull and mast soon.

Kind regards, Joost

Boatmik
6th August 2008, 09:12 AM
Howdy Joost,

Great to hear it is going well.

Since the GIS plans were done I have finished some experiments with some of the PDR masts.

I am about to change the mast building information to suggest just a single layer of glass tape at the base of the mast to prevent splitting.

And maybe two layers of tape, or perhaps wider than the tape (perhaps 75 mm wide) wrapped around the mast at partner height. Maybe 2 layers just to reduce the denting loads.

Best wishes
Michael

Joost
15th August 2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks Michael,

I settled on a compromise and just put 2 layers of glass on the bottom part (+/- 100 cm) of the mast. This should surely prevent the mast from splitting and will hopefully minimize denting,

Best regards, Joost