PDA

View Full Version : Sign Foam - High Density Urethane Sheets

Zoot
7th August 2008, 08:32 AM
In the U. S. of A., bless their little cotton socks!, they can buy a product called Sign Foam. It is high density urethane sheeting available from 1/2" to 2" thick. From what I can see it is nice and stable and can be readily painted, but best of all it is ideal for us v-carvers to wave our magic router wands at and produce totally stable painted carved 'timber' signs.

Question: Has anyone heard of this product here in Australia?

Cheers,

Alan

Greolt
7th August 2008, 09:58 AM
Alan

I have never seen Signfoam so don't really know what sort of material it is.

However there is this product, http://www.multipanel.com.au

I think it is a expanded polyurethane. They have up to 30mm thick.

$400 for 30mm. 1200 x 2400 sheets. I bet the yanks are not paying that much for signfoam.

Greg

mic-d
7th August 2008, 06:48 PM
A while back we installed some very large signs for a church that were made of polyurethane foam. Unfortunately I cannot tell you where to get it because the church supplied the signs, but I just want to let you know that it is available in Oz, so your continued search won't be in vain.

Cheers and goodluck
Michael

Zoot
7th August 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your post Greolt. I think that this appears to be the same sort of stuff. After doing some counting on my fingers and toes, it seems that Sign Foam comes in 3 different densities that when converted are 160kg/m3, 240kg/m3 and 288kg/m3, with the latter being the one suggested for routing. The Multipanel seems to run at weights of between 187kg for 25mm and 225kg/m3 for 8mm, making the 25mm sheet about 35% of the weight. I don't know if this would affect its router finish or its ability to start up to outside conditions.

Anyway, I will try and get in touch with them tomorrow and see if I can get a sample.

Thanks again,

Alan

Zoot
7th August 2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks Michael,
I think that Greolt has come up with the goods ... again! He is a walking wikipedia!

Cheers,

Alan

Greolt
7th August 2008, 09:06 PM
Alan

Don't know about the accuracy of the data sheet I have. It says the product is 210kg/m3.

Yet all the specified sheet thickness weights do not agree with that. I get from 184 to 225kg/m3

Be interested to hear what they say.

Although I will want paying customers lined up before I will be paying that per sheet. :no:

Greg

Zoot
7th August 2008, 10:01 PM
Yes at $400 a sheet, even a very basic 1200 x 200 sign would be about $40 per sign. I haven't checked the price on good "country look" seasoned timber such as Blue Gum or Spotted Gum, but am guessing a top price would see it out at $20.

.... Just checked Lumber Bunker pricing and 200 x 25 runs at about $22 to $27 /lm for species such as Jarrah, Silky Oak, NG Rosewood etc.

Larger signs might be OK on this type of board or perhaps external ply or something.

Will let you know details after I have spoken to them.

Cheers,

Alan:no:

appiwood
10th August 2008, 05:39 PM
Hello Zoot

I tried to post a " full " reply earlier today be had some sort of glitch, so the short version is, Meury in Sydney has at least 12 foams in various sizes and densities but are not cheap, a middle of the range one is about $800.00 for 50mm by 500mm by 1500mm, a cheaper one is the Dow Blue Stryofoam from Dynamic Composite Tech' in Wetherill Park in Sydney, a 100mm by 600mm by 2500mm block is $130.00 from memory it is 45KgCM, I have used it to machine moulds for R/C aircraft.

I haven't used any of the Meury product/s but the finish can be excellent and can be used as a mould without any further work.

Not sure how UV stable the blue foam is but DCT would.

Ed

Zoot
10th August 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Ed,
I will follow up and see if I can get a bit to try out.

In the meanwhile I have been walking around our farm and looking at trees that have either been blown over or struck by lightening to see if I can convert some of my own timber to boards for v-carving. Not sure how it will go, but the price recommends it!!

Cheers,

Alan

appiwood
10th August 2008, 10:41 PM
Hello Zoot

When you enquire, ask them if they have any damaged sheets, they normally do and they do sell them cheaply, model railroaders use them for scenery, I've only bought full sheets from them as I have a use for undamaged sheets.

They also sell less dense blue foam, I guess it depends on what you want it for - I used it also for loast foam casting.

Ed