PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Incra Users Group (04 October 08) (Updated)!

Stuart
8th August 2008, 04:44 AM
Just in case some have missed the discussion, we are going to have a go at getting an Incra Owners Group (Melbourne) started. At this stage there have been no decisions about the structure, frequency etc, but it is intended as a way of users (and potential users) to get together, see techniques demonstrated, be able to pick the brains of other users etc.

It is something we have discussed on these forums a few times (actually going back to October 2006 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=39767&highlight=melbourne+user+group)) - getting a collective together to nut out some of the finer points, learn from each other the subtleties of the Incra system so we can start to really master it, and it is time the concept was dusted off. There was some discussion back then of vid casting the sessions for out-of-towners, and is certainly something we will work towards - in the first instance videoing aspects of the session, and particularly the demonstrations and getting them onto the web, with a view downtrack of having a live feed from a meeting that can be watched, and questions etc asked live from remote locations.

Thinking of September, dodging the Grand Final, Father's Day, Triton Club.... October is a long way away, and is the Melbourne Wood Show anyway.

Looking at the 27th September, 4 October and given how sizable this is likely to get, we are looking at a location able to cope - TBA, but potentially somewhere like the Woodworking Warehouse has been proposed (but not yet approached). Professional Woodworkers Supplies is definitely interested in supporting the concept, and will be helping with catering on the day (among other things!)

Can we have a show of interest? I was initially looking at existing owners, but with the change in venue, it is certainly open for owners, and interested parties (call them potential owners ;) ). The focus, at least for the first meeting will be the router positioning system (I term it that way so the focus is off any specific Incra Router fence positioning system). Again, down track it will be great to see other aspects of Incra, such as how the positioner improves use of the saw table.

I have managed to make a reasonable dovetail in the past on it, but haven't had a chance to take another crack at it, so I'd still be an Incra dovetail virgin, but through the Professional Woodworkers Supplies I'm sure some more knowledgeable demonstrators can be arranged. The bottom line of this group is collaboration - learning from each other how to get the best out of the system.

It's a shame Auld Bassoon won't be there - he was always keen on the concept - gone but not forgotten.

DJ’s Timber
8th August 2008, 06:58 AM
You can pencil me in as a definite, seeing that I just pick up one this week :2tsup:

NCArcher
8th August 2008, 09:22 AM
Mine also arrived this week. Might be a bit far for me to travel though. :C
I hope you will be filming Stuart. Next installment for The Shed. :2tsup:

Big Shed
8th August 2008, 06:46 PM
Barring unforeseen circumstances I would like to attend as well.

Waldo
9th August 2008, 12:30 AM
Incra owners of anything particular or anything Incra?

So far I've got a 1000SE but hoping to expand it to a Mitre Express.

I've got Incra tracks and slides, does that also count? :D

:think: maybe Grahame from PWS might be willing to demonstrate some stuff :shrug:

Pencil me in.

Stuart
9th August 2008, 04:45 PM
I have had a bit of a discussion with Grahame (Professional Woodworkers Supplies), and based on that, I have amended and updated the first post - opening up the concept, change of location, and including both existing as well as potential owners (ie those who are interested in seeing just what the whole Incra thing is about, and why those who own them are so passionate about them).

The idea is that the Incra User Group is for both those in the vicinity (ie Melbourne), but also with the use of current technology allowing video to be available. Downtrack, to have a live feed from the meeting to be investigated.

So still, if you are interested (and not necessarily a current Incra owner), let us know. :)

Groggy
9th August 2008, 05:15 PM
I'd be interested Stu. I only have an Incra Mitre gauge at the moment but did have long term plans for the router setup, still do, sort of. DJ wound up with the table and the incra bits though, (how did that happen) :U

Anyway, I'm interested in pretty much anything so long as I'm learning. You don't necessarily have to own the stuff.

tool
10th August 2008, 06:44 PM
You can post me in for sure on this one :2tsup:

NCArcher
10th August 2008, 06:51 PM
Did my first dovetail with the Incra today. :D
Would definately be interested in video or live feed.

Stuart
18th August 2008, 12:06 AM
So far it looks like 6 (+1 remote ;) ).....Not as an overwhelming demand as I was expecting. Grahame is doing a mail out I believe to Vic owners, so will see what response that draws. It doesn't bother me if this is large or small (although I'm sure PWS would like it to be huge!), I just want to become more conversant with the positioner.

Jim Carroll
18th August 2008, 06:44 PM
Stuart the low response is probably because not all incra owners use the U Beaut Forum.

Most would be work alone woodies who use the jigs for their pleasure. With Graham sending out emails etc should round up a few more.

Misterwippy
24th August 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Stu,

I dont own any of the Incra gear as yet but would love to come along and see how some of the mitres and fences work.

Cheers

Rowan

Soren
26th August 2008, 10:54 PM
So far it looks like 6 (+1 remote ;) ).....Not as an overwhelming demand as I was expecting.... .

Stu you know that both I and your Triton off-sider will be there :2tsup:

Waldo
22nd September 2008, 11:06 PM
:bump:

When and where is this great event being held so I can organise myself

Stuart
22nd September 2008, 11:22 PM
I have to look into it, given it is meant to be this Saturday.
I swear I checked the AFL draw, so have no idea how it ended up on the same weekend as the Grand Final. Perhaps there were just too many "finals" listed on the AFL site, and I got confused! (Noone picked up on it either)

Waldo
22nd September 2008, 11:23 PM
What's AFL? Just a game with a pig skin, woodworking is more important.:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
22nd September 2008, 11:39 PM
Any hints on where it might be held?

Stuart
23rd September 2008, 02:56 PM
Ok, so I stuffed up the date! I originally thought it'd still be ok - get it done before kickoff, but the times just don't work out.

Given what I now have as semi-finalised start and finish times, which would completely overlap the Grand Final, we will bump the Grand Final a week.

Hmm - guess that will meet with just too much resistance, so we'll have to move the Incra meeting a week instead.

So the details that I have now are:

Date: 4 October
Time: 1pm - 3:30pm

Sorry about the 'modification'!!!!

Waldo
23rd September 2008, 03:05 PM
we will bump the Grand Final a week.
:2tsup: Wouldn't worry me one iota.

I'll be there. Just have to let SWMBO know the goal posts have been moved.

Stuart
23rd September 2008, 03:09 PM
Or rather the goal posts couldn't be moved, so we did!!

colin2000
25th September 2008, 02:31 AM
count me in please i dont own one but would love to know what all the fuss is about.

Big Shed
25th September 2008, 08:12 AM
Sorry won't be able to make it, driving to Adelaide that day.

colin2000
28th September 2008, 09:34 PM
hi my two brothers are interested in coming as wall hope thats alwright. so that makes 3 for me.

Stuart
30th September 2008, 01:57 PM
:bump:

This meeting of Incra owners (and prospective owners) is definitely going ahead THIS WEEKEND!

Woodworking Warehouse is confirmed as the location 1pm (Wanita is opening the doors for us for this meeting as it is after their normal closing time).

If you have been thinking of getting some of the gear, this is a great opportunity (away from the hustle and bustle of the show) to see it, talk about it, share ideas and techniques and learn more about how to get the best out of the system.

If you are planning on coming, please RSVP so we can get some catering (and so you have somewhere to sit!) If you just turn up, that is ok, but the more we know about in advance, the better we can be organised. (If you have already RSVPed, you don't have to do so twice!!)

:hungry::bbq2::hungry:
(Not sure what is specifically being arranged wrt to food, so if there is no bangers and burgers - blame the smilie above, not me!!)

Waldo
30th September 2008, 02:04 PM
I'll be there. :2tsup:

fubar
30th September 2008, 03:36 PM
excellent just bought a 2nd hand incra pro i'll be there with bells on:2tsup:

Gwhat
30th September 2008, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

Marita and I will provide a light lunch for this inaugural meeting, with Tea & Coffee also available. Lunch will be available from 12.45 so that the meeting can start as close to 1pm as possible.

We will have a few bits & pieces available for sale, 'though if you want anything specific brought along let us know in advance.

We look forward to seeing all those who already have Incra gear and those who are just curios as to the benefit of things Incra, all are welcome.

Regards

Grahame

Stuart
30th September 2008, 07:54 PM
Count so far looks to be 13 (+/-)

DJ’s Timber
30th September 2008, 07:54 PM
I'll be there, but probably not till about 1pm as I have had job booked in today to do a delivery to Blackburn for that morning of which I'm hoping to have completed by 12.00 :fingerscrossed:

colin2000
3rd October 2008, 02:30 AM
Hi sorry dont know Braeside at all can i have a street name please. thats still three commng for me. a melway revrance would be great but settle for street name. cheers.

Boxmaker
3rd October 2008, 04:07 AM
Hi sorry dont know Braeside at all can i have a street name please. thats still three commng for me. a melway revrance would be great but settle for street name. cheers.
woodworking warehouse is at
11 Citrus Street
Braeside
Victoria 3195
Australia

kevjed
3rd October 2008, 09:15 AM
Count me in. I'd love to have a look see. It's just around the corner from me so should be no excuse for not turning up. (apart from SWMBO)

fubar
4th October 2008, 05:46 PM
i would just like to thank all involved for a very informative afternoon thanks james, stu and thingy and whosits :B sorry terrible for remembering names grahame and marita thanks for the catering yummy :2tsup:

Waldo
4th October 2008, 09:27 PM
G'day,

A big thanks to Grahame and Marita for the for getting behind this arvo, for your time and expense involved, it was greatly appreciated. Of course you've now got me thinking how a LS Positioner can fit an 1100 x 700mm table, but I've worked it out, I :think:

:2tsup: too to James (?) and for the demo and Stuart, and to Woodworking Wharehouse for opening your doors for us. And least of all, to the pilots who put on the fly-overs for us. :U

DJ’s Timber
4th October 2008, 09:42 PM
:wts: thanks from me as well, just getting home now after detouring via my mothers place to wish her a happy birthday for tomorrow :B

Here's a few pics of the group.

85008 85009 85010

And one of the view through Stu's video camera viewfinder :;

NGX
5th October 2008, 09:56 AM
You guys get all the fun in Melb :D

When do we see the video Stu :P looked like you all had fun very nice!

Stuart
6th October 2008, 04:38 PM
Don't forget the one through DJ's camera of my video camera of James doing his thing,...,..
:) :2tsup:

Will get onto the video shortly.

DJ’s Timber
6th October 2008, 05:03 PM
Don't forget the one through DJ's camera of my video camera of James doing his thing,...,..

:rofl: :U

kevjed
6th October 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks to all involved. I came along to have a good look before I put my hard earned $ down.
Expensive... but Very Good product.
I look forward to chasing up a purchase of the 17" router fence system as soon as the tax man sends me my little bonus.
Take care
Kevin

Stuart
7th October 2008, 03:58 AM
Know exactly what you mean Kevin.

Put it this way, I took ages before finally deciding to get one, and it was only after seeing one closeup and having a good play (on Auld Basson's as it happens) that finally convinced me.

I have long since forgotten how much I spent, but the tool is still in the shed, and get used regularly (or at least as often as I am out there!), and it still is a pleasure to have so much control over the fence position for all my routing jobs. It certainly is not a dovetail jig. It is an ultra-accurate fence positioning system, and because of its accuracy, makes dovetailing possible.

colin2000
7th October 2008, 03:57 PM
thanks stu and grame for a great day. well i'm convinced i'm getting one and as far as the wive is concerned i always had one. to me expenc ive is buuying a product or tool that you iether upgrade quickly becuase it cant handle the job or it doesn,t do the job you want. Value is it does every thing i want and more, is built to last, easy to use and highly acurate. incra system has all in spades.:2tsup:

xmack51
28th June 2009, 01:25 AM
Hi Stuart, I was just doodling thru the posts, saw yours, and wondered if you got a club up and running... if I was in Melbourne I would definately be among the throng, but a IUC is not enough reason to move there...so, I am VERY curious to know if such a club exists in Adelaide....I await any news...I am NOT all that hopeful tho', we apparently havn't even got enough wood workers to have a regular wood show anymore!! John.