PDA

View Full Version : Nick's PD Racer

nickpullen
8th August 2008, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone.

I have been thinking about one of these since i started the eureka..

I was down at the beach, eating a pie for lunch, and saw a bunch of people from the sailing club learning... It got me all inspired!

So I bought the plans, and so it begins again....:q

Boatmik
8th August 2008, 04:40 PM
Geez Nick

Some people are fashion victims ...

I'm not quite sure what sort of victim you are!

(cool and good luck!!!)

MIK

nickpullen
13th August 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi.

Would Paulownia be adequate(strong enough) for the mast and boom?

And Mast Step and Mast Partner?

Can I get a copy of the rigging guide as well please?

Thanks

Boatmik
14th August 2008, 09:39 AM
Howdy Nick,

Paulownia will be fine for joining up any two pieces of ply. But where the timber is only glued to ply along one face it is usually providing a stiffness/strength function.

So those bits need to be of something stronger. ie mast, boom, and partner and step.

Also the transverse timbers across the boat at the centrecase and also the carlins need to be something about the stiffness of Hoop Pine.

Pic from the files for inspiration
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2759425396_f5183da331.jpg

I would probably consider doing the gunwales in Hoop or similar too because of the chance of them being knocked around.

Photographic rigging guide is here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik/collections/

And the list of parts is here
http://pdracer.blogspot.com/2007/08/new-downloadable-rigging-list-for-oz-pd.html

Best wishes
Michael

MIK

nickpullen
14th August 2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks Mik...

There is a timber merchant in town that has Hoop... I phoned them, but they said it has a fair few knots in... Ill have to go down and have a look for myself...

nickpullen
15th August 2008, 12:53 PM
HI Mik,

I just printed out the foil profile page and measured the line, it came to 150.5mm

Now what? I tried to resize the image to suit, but my printer driver wont allow it...

Thanks.

Boatmik
15th August 2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone with this problem can measure the line and then email me with the measurement.

If you look on my webpage there is a link of "contact me" on the left side or you can simply click my name "Boatmik" on the left here to have the chance to email me.

By the way ,,, knots are not a problem in any of the bits of timber that can be fingerjointed in my list above.

Michael

nickpullen
19th August 2008, 05:42 PM
Well time to get started.
I went and got some ply; 2x4mm &1x6mm of BS1088 OKOUME MARINE PLY
4mm = $42.0
6mm = $58.00

Also, I work at a school, and the manual arts department have all the hoop pine I could ever want, and its pretty clear, only a couple of knots per 6m length, if any...

68mmX12mm @ $1.40 \m (4 of 6m for mast)
45mmX19mm @ $1.64 \m (5 of 6m for most other bits...)

Also ordered the 'pox and glass from duckflatwoodenboats, and a tarp.

And then I also got some 3mm angle to make the boat side fittings. Any idea where I can get some 6mm SS rod? got any spare?

Cheers.

Boatmik
19th August 2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=rockhampton+steel+supplies

Might give you some clues as to what is about.

MIK

nickpullen
20th August 2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks Mik, didnt think... I found some sort of steel rod laying in my office, should do the trick for now...

Also, I dont mean to be a pain, I've been looking over the plans, and I see in the drawings there is mention of a Centrecase Brace, but nothing about it on the timber list?

And the timber list has the stern bottom cleat at 19X22, but the drawing has it at 19X45...

Thanks.

Boatmik
21st August 2008, 12:19 AM
The centrecase brace is the top part of Frame #1 that supports the top of the centrecase with the strut across the boat.

I stuff up the names of things sometimes - quite possible with the amount I have to write. I'll see if I can fix it next time round.

The stern bottom cleat can be 19 x22 as a minimum .. it is to allow it to be bevelled for the bottom of the boat. No problem if you go to 19 x 45.

Best wishes
Michael

nickpullen
21st August 2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Mik.

I think I'm going to use 45x19 for the top and bottom of the stern, i.e., the outboard motor mod....

I started marking out the ply today....

nickpullen
9th September 2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Mik and Others.

I'm just getting this PDR together now and starting to work on the centre case...

Now the foil is 280mm, the case sides are 356mm, leaving 76mm, with 2x 25mm supports that leaves a gap of 26mm between the c-case and the c-board. Is that correct? I would imagine that would create a fair bit of fore and aft slop?

Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Boatmik
9th September 2008, 11:53 PM
We slipped a wooden block made out of 19mm thick stock to slip down the back of the centrecase and hold with a single screw through the side of the centrecase near the top.

Make the piece of timber the right size to allow just 6 to 10 mm clearance with the back of the centreboard. adjust the piece so that it is flush with the bottom of the boat.

Don't glue it in.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
10th September 2008, 12:46 AM
er.... why the spacer block MIK ? :?

AJ

nickpullen
10th September 2008, 02:00 PM
Ah, So a sacrificial peice to take the abuse from the trailing edge of the centre board?

Boatmik
10th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Yes Nick,

If you call it that ... no-one will realise it is a screw up by the designer!!! Just don't make it a tight fit laterally ... otherwise if it swells it will split the case. So a maximum width of 22mm.

Does serve a nice function .. the raw softwood will be much kinder to the back edge of the centreboard than epoxy coated!

MIK

nickpullen
10th September 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm using a hardwood trailing edge on the foils...

So, If we didnt want to do that, we could just increase the size of the dividers to say 35mm, so that there is only 6mm free play?

nickpullen
23rd September 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Everyone.

Well I'm just about to glue on the side decks.

What is did regarding the centre case is I shorted the entire assemble by18mm, this made the side tanks 18mm longer, luckily there was that extra 19mm there to play with, they came up 1mm shy of flush with the end face....

Its starting to look like a boat now!:2tsup:

nickpullen
22nd October 2008, 09:31 AM
"Ducks Nutts" #276

m2c1Iw
22nd October 2008, 09:49 AM
Very cool :2tsup: and 276 gee the fleet is expanding rapidly

Boatmik
22nd October 2008, 11:48 AM
Fantastic Nick!!! haha!

Does my heart good!

MIK

nickpullen
22nd October 2008, 12:09 PM
Im thinking of running a white pinstrip all the way from the back, along the carlines, to the front and around the curve of paint meeting varnish...

BobWes
22nd October 2008, 02:20 PM
Goodness! Another fine looking boat! :2tsup:

You guys are setting some pretty high standards for paint schemes! Not that Mik's designs don't deserve it... I only hope that when the time comes, I am worthy...

Bob

Boatmik
22nd October 2008, 02:37 PM
Bobwes ... I am so glad that I have finished and painted the PDRs I built already!!!

I know what you mean by pressure --- geez

MIK

nickpullen
24th October 2008, 05:55 PM
Took some outdoors photos...

Boatmik
24th October 2008, 07:54 PM
Looks fantastic Nick!!!

The white pinstripe is exactly what was needed!

MIK

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2008, 08:23 PM
Good one. :2tsup:

seajak
26th October 2008, 07:18 AM
G'day Michael,

I'm just about to cut the GI dagger board down to fit the PD. Should I leave it a little wider to fit the case (how much?) or make the case shorter as Nick has done?

cheers,
clay

Boatmik
26th October 2008, 07:32 AM
G'day Clay,

You have been holding out on us!!!!! Pics ... text ... improvements ... where are they all Clayton (Clay and I have known each other for years so I can nag him this way)

I left the extra 19mm on the side tank faces because I was worried that this was one area where there was some chance of a mistake with those notches to go over the transom and Frame #2.

Being a crude and lazy person I just put the loose block in the back of the case and keep the fall back of the side tank faces being a bit longer than needed.

That is what I recommend for most builders. But anyone who wants to improve the boat over Storer building standards is welcome! Anyone with a solid woodworking background can do a better job than me for sure!!!

Best wishes
Michael.

nickpullen
26th October 2008, 09:43 PM
Anti slip coating and lamb spit dinner.

seajak
27th October 2008, 06:42 AM
Nothing much to report Michael. I've started clearing out the shed so it shouldn't be too long before I can offer the GIS bits for sale. The plan is to take a month's long service leave early next year to build the PDR. In the meantime I'm working on some bits like the foils which will be cut down from the blanks I made for the GIS. My little bloke (he's 7 now) has just stared learning to sail the Skyriders at Yarra Bay SC so the pressure will soon be on to have our own boat. He had his first sail yesterday and spent the morning reaching back and forward across the bay. He did very well for his first sail except that he occasionally forgot which way to move the tiller and gybed instead of tacking :doh:. I really like the concept of the Skyriders as a training dinghy, much easier to learn on than a Sabot or Optimist. Almost like a rotomoulded PDR :).

take care,
clay

nickpullen
27th October 2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Mik.

Any chance you have some more detail on how the sail gets lashed to the mast, particularly at the top...

Thanks.

Boatmik
27th October 2008, 12:32 PM
Did you see the rigging guides?

Bottom of this page:
Rigging guide for lug and sprit rigs (http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/tradrigperformance.html)

If it is something not covered, or not quite covered there then you need to tell me what you need to know?

MIK

Boatmik
27th October 2008, 12:35 PM
My little bloke (he's 7 now) has just stared learning to sail the Skyriders at Yarra Bay SC so the pressure will soon be on to have our own boat.

He had his first sail yesterday and spent the morning reaching back and forward across the bay. He did very well for his first sail except that he occasionally forgot which way to move the tiller and gybed instead of tacking :doh:. I really like the concept of the Skyriders as a training dinghy, much easier to learn on than a Sabot or Optimist. Almost like a rotomoulded PDR :).

take care,
clay

Like a PDR .. WITH the expense!

MIK

nickpullen
27th October 2008, 01:10 PM
Did you see the rigging guides?

Bottom of this page:
Rigging guide for lug and sprit rigs (http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/tradrigperformance.html)

If it is something not covered, or not quite covered there then you need to tell me what you need to know?

MIK

Mik, the bit I'm not sure of is how to actually tie the Luff lacing to the top of the mast, the version of the guide I have has no detail on this... do I drill a hole like with the boom ends?

Also, as I understand, the lacing goes though all the eyelets on the luff, and then the downhaul gets tied to the shackle on the deck at the base of the mast, and then up to through the second hole on the luff, and then gets pulled down back through the deck shackel and made tight and then fastened off here?

Sorry. Im just having troube understanding this simple process..

Nick.

P.S. If you need any HiRes pics of the rudder box and the anti-slip ones, just let me know... Im about to start on the rudder box, with home made fittings....

seajak
27th October 2008, 05:03 PM
Like a PDR .. WITH the expense!

MIK
You're not wrong. I don't know what I'll do if he really gets into this and wants to go racing. I can see a real need for a kids racing class based on the PDR if only to let me retire sooner.

clay

Boatmik
27th October 2008, 11:43 PM
Howdy Nick,

Yes .. some pics that are the same as the ones in the plan for the rudderbox but with the box assembled the right way would be FANTASTIC!!!

This is the lashing at the top of the mast for the sprit rig.

The way on the left is wrong. The one on the right is correct.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/Lashing%20sail%20corners%20to%20spars.jpg

MIK

nickpullen
28th October 2008, 09:43 PM
OOOHHH, I see now...

Thanks.

nickpullen
2nd November 2008, 08:38 AM
Here are some pics of the rudder box. By using the DIY route with the "fittings" I reckon I saved close to $100 compared to commercial rudder fittings... Mik, if you like these, Ill email you the original size ones...

Boatmik
2nd November 2008, 09:07 AM
Nick, Nick, Nick,

Fantastic Job!!! If you would send me some higher res ones it would be great! Don't need to be super high res anything over 1024 is fine.

nickpullen
2nd November 2008, 10:20 AM
Also, I was unable to get a long SS bolt that goes right through he whole rudder box, so what you see there is 2X 50mm screws, one from each side.

I drilled the holes and filled them with pox, then screwed it together, at some point, I think the screws actually run right against each other...

Mik, Want these as well?

Boatmik
2nd November 2008, 04:19 PM
Howdy Nick,

Looks great!

The most important bolt is the one through the tiller.

With the two through the side stiffeners ... you really only need the front one ... the back one is not really necessary.

MIK

nickpullen
2nd November 2008, 04:25 PM
Oh, so I need ones through the tiller as well? can I just use the long screws? Or should I try harder to find a bolt that will go all the way through?

Boatmik
2nd November 2008, 04:34 PM
Howdy Nick,

That one is the most important one of the kit and caboodle. Almost all the rudder blade loads are transmitted straight into the tiller and attempt to pry the two sides apart. So prevent any breakages there and the system is bulletproof.

See if you can find one that suits ... or use the tricky method you used with the others. Would suggest a washer under the heads for the tiller one/s.

MIK

nickpullen
16th January 2009, 08:50 PM
Well Well Well... Its been a while since I've worked on the Puddle Duck.

So far the hull is done.
This week I started working on it again and finished the rudder box, tiller, and got all my rigging sorted out...

I started to scarf the timber for the mast and also started shaping the foils.

Tomorrow, Im going to do some more scarfing and mark out the sail and sew it up...

Cheers.

Boatmik
17th January 2009, 08:36 AM
Keep plugging away Nick .. be nice to get on the water this summer! (or in the next few weeks)

MIK

nickpullen
17th January 2009, 07:34 PM
Hell yeah! Well, its pretty much summer all year round in Central Queensland, but I imagin I'm only 2 weeks from finished, Even if I leave the final varnishing coats on the spars and centreboard for later... Im so excited about getting out on the water!!

I cut out the whole sail and all the patches, Just have to get the wife to sew it tomorrow.... ehehhe

I made the templates today for the foil, Q: how wide does the trailing edge end up at? mine looks like it will be about 5mm? thats just checking by eye.

I was also supprised at how "small" the re-inforcement patches are on the sail. I have a fair bit of extra tarp. Thats from a DuckFlat PDR tart.

Cheers.

nickpullen
18th January 2009, 03:47 PM
Sail is done....

nickpullen
18th January 2009, 09:02 PM
Just finished the shaping the centreboard. Will do rudder tomorrow.

Whoo hoo...

Boatmik
19th January 2009, 09:08 AM
NICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you trying to show everyone up? What amazing progress.

Michael

nickpullen
19th January 2009, 09:22 AM
I want it finished. Like "shorty" says, Just get it finished and get out sailing, you can fix things later and make improvements along the way. I just hope I'm not cutting too many corners in the rush...

Im sort of pi$$ed at my self though. Ive had 5 weeks holidays, and Ive only started working on the boat in the last week. So I could of had it done in week 2 of my holidays and sailed for 3 weeks, but I was a big lazy... Ah well....

nickpullen
19th January 2009, 09:28 PM
Centre board and rudder are shaped. Tomorrow I'll glass the ends.

m2c1Iw
19th January 2009, 09:37 PM
Centre board and rudder are shaped. Tomorrow I'll glass the ends.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smilie%20signs/worthless.gif :D:D:D

nickpullen
22nd January 2009, 09:11 AM
I know... I'm sorry. i just haven't taken many... Ill take some over the weekend.

Rudder and centreboard are now covered in glass, sanded and then a final coat of pox. Tonight I'll give it a light sanding and then 3 coats of epoxy enamel.

I installed the foot hold straps and some rigging aswell. Its looking rather boat like now!

Only the mast left to now!

MIK, just wondering, for me so far the most time consuming and frustrating part of the whole build has been shaping the foils. Do you think there could be any easier way to get a good shape without having to plane away. But I also think it may be due to the cheap $40 plane I am using combined with the crapita pine. Next ones I make will be from Paulonia, its much nicer to work with and sands very well. I found it alot easier to shape the paulonia used for the paddle shafts ( Mik's free plans ones) than the pine PDR boom...

Hope to get heaps done over the long weekend...

Eat Lamb.

Boatmik
24th January 2009, 07:27 AM
Howdy Nick,

The downside of making nice foils is the amount of labour. But the upside of doing it is probably about 20% or more extra upwind performance compared to any shortcut that gives a reliably strong board.

Happily ... most people don't seem to mind that part of the labour, but maybe the plane and timber let you down a bit or sharpening the plane. Also the glue makes quite a difference. Epoxy with the glue filler powder in it blunts the plane very quickly ... so often we use a low density filler for that part .. or like biting midge use one of the other non gap filling adhesives like the modified PVAs used for exterior work in the building trade or the water cure polyurethanes.

Are you going to kill me now? I think I did mention some of this in the plan.

The Paulownia would make it a lot easier next time too.

Best wishes and sorry it was tough!
Michael

nickpullen
24th January 2009, 08:49 AM
HI Mik.

Well, I tried to keep the plane sharp. but yeah, I think it was more the wood ( blade hanging up on knots.) You did in fact mention in the plans not to use pox, I actually ended up using some sort of polyurethane foaming glue, it worked well and seems really strong...

My main concern is that I didn't quite get the foil 100% accurately shaped as per the template, it is very close though. I could have spent more time on them, pottering away, but I just want it finished. But my theory is that I'm still new to sailing so I wouldn't really know any better. But the foil is shaped like a foil so maybe I only get 15% instead of 20% +upwind performance. I think once my skills improve and I start to demand more performance from the boat I will make new foils, as accurately as possible. And even change to the lug rig...

Thanks for all your help!

Boatmik
26th January 2009, 07:57 AM
Howdy .. yes ... KNOTS ... are the devil for foil making - or a lot of boat components. It is better to cut them out and then orientate all the smaller bits so they don't line up across the foil blanks.

Everything you do to improve foils has perhaps the biggest result in overall performance of the boat. Second is the way the boat is rigged ... getting everything setting nicely.

MIK

nickpullen
30th January 2009, 07:17 PM
Mast is all glued up! last bit to go. Tomorrow I'll plane it down to size, and then Sunday I will give it and the boom the 3 coats of pox and bits of glass... Wooo hooo. Might be ready for the first sail next weekend!!! whoo hooEEE

Boatmik
1st February 2009, 11:36 AM
I am teasing you here Dylan ... but where are the pics!!!

MIK!

nickpullen
8th February 2009, 10:15 PM
So, Finally got Duck's Nuts on the water!

What a mission. Well first time sailing it was interesting. My biggest issue was I think I had to much #$% in the boat. I took 2 paddles with and I kept getting caught up in them under foot (I'll make some mounts for them on the fore deck). Next thing that caused issues was the tiller extension, I found it really got in the way. I took it off and my boat control improved, Ill install it again when i start going really fast and have to lean out... My poor wife was sitting up front petrified that we may tip over... But luckily I didnt make the boat to go over.

At first it was all strange. The bigest thing was to remeber to keep the rudder straight, pick a point and steer to it. We kept windward, actually made decent progress.The first few tacks were scary, got caught in irons a few times, but eventually worked it out.. Next was the REALLY scary bit, we had to go downwind to get back, and gybe to change direction, well, that was close to going over, but I managed, and we reached back across the river to where we started. And I eased the sails out as we got to the destination and then rounded up into the wind to a perfect stop at the boat ramp. That was nerve-wrecking, there were boats and jet skis all over. I was a bit over it after all the stuffing around and struggling, But today Im ready to go again!

I have to repair the sail though, I think when I put the eyelests in the clew, I placed them to close to the edge and the eyelet tore out, before we even got on the water. So I'll add a few reinforcement patches to that area and put in a new eyelet a bit further from the edge... Ready for next weekend.

Another Issue, I built the sail 2 weeks ago and put in all the eyelets. Then on Sunday morning, went to got trial fit the sail to mast and noticed that there was no crease in the luff... Check over the plans.. DAM, I put the eyelets in the wrong edge of the sail. So out with the sewing machine and we put 11 new patches/eyelets in the correct edge of the sail. Now I have a row of eyelets up the leach of my sail... ill duct tapt them over to improve air flow over them.

Also, when shaping the base of the mast, I made an error in calculation, and ended up with the base of the mast at 50mm and not 56mm. So I just layed up 3 layers of glass to just below the deck point and then kept adding strips around the base till i got it back to the right size. All up i think there are 9 layers of glass at the base of the mast to bulk it out.

My bum is sore from sitting on the edges, my back aches from lifting/bending/ fighting the boat, I have sunburn in some odd spots where I missed with the sunblock, but I have a cheesy grin on my face... A BIG thank you to my lovely wife for her patience and help with my boat building over the last year.

Boatmik
9th February 2009, 02:35 PM
WAAAY cool Dylan, (er I mean Nick!!!)

Looks like the start of a satisfying learning curve with a few lessons learned already.

Put the paddles on the front cockpit bulkhead if they fit. It will work better there I think and not clutter the appearance.

When sailing two up ... make sure the front person is as far back in that front well as possible and then you can move your weight to keep the nose up.

Practice capsizing where there is an onshore wind and without your wife aboard - it will probably. When you have confidence and it is a good day for swimming do the same with your wife aboard ... onshore wind and not too far from shore. Just tell her to float and hold onto some part of the boat.

The fear of capsize is the real problem rather than capsize itself.

The mast workaround is a good one! Well done. I am sure it will be useful to others down the line!

The duct tape over the holes will be good for the appearance.

Best wishes

AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!

MIK

nickpullen
9th February 2009, 03:00 PM
Dylan? ahaha

You must be really busy Mik...

Nick

arbordg
9th February 2009, 05:19 PM
Nick,

Sounds like you did fine, and learned a bit. My first day out in a Storer boat, I flipped her. At least you kept yours upright!

nickpullen
21st March 2009, 08:55 PM
Went out again today, took a mate with his fridge. He is now going to build a PDR as well. We had a good time sailing back and forth on the river. I tested my capsize, all good, too easy to get it back up-right at get back in... It was soooooo much more fun the 2nd time round. This sailing is starting to get under my skin!

pics tomorrow...

Boatmik
23rd March 2009, 03:39 PM
Cool Nick!

Ducks always seem to gather in flocks! Once someone has one ... other people get pretty inspired!

What do you reckon was the total all up crew weight?

MIK

arbordg
23rd March 2009, 03:57 PM
Went out again today, took a mate with his fridge. He is now going to build a PDR as well. We had a good time sailing back and forth on the river. I tested my capsize, all good, too easy to get it back up-right at get back in... It was soooooo much more fun the 2nd time round. This sailing is starting to get under my skin!

pics tomorrow...

Nick,

Fridge?

OK, I give up. That's Aussie-speak for... what, exactly? Let me guess:

Cooler? -- Don't y'all call them Eskys?

Refrigerator? -- I can't imagine you needed so much ballast as to lug an actual kitchen appliance aboard?

Girlfriend? -- I know them OZ girls have some funny names, but, really?

Beerbelly? -- This is my favorite, and most likely? Do I win?

nickpullen
24th March 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi, sorry no, none of the above.

The "fridge" as we have affectionatly called it, is a boat, that is litterally a retangular box, (1x3x8) NO rocker, all 90' angles! Just a rectangular box with 2 bench seats inside. My mate got the "fridge" and an old evinrude outboard for only $65... But the fridge is falling apart, its water logged and is dam heavy, but it was cheap and it goes(4.4kts) compared to the 4.6kts of the PDR... I should have pic up soon, just waiting on the to be uploaded... Or check out this post:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=917535&postcount=7

Mik, I reckon our all up weight was about 210kgs... and it went well, we had the balance good, both of us sat as close to the middle as possible, and the skipper was then moving his weight around to prevent the bow digging in. Good times!

Cheers.
Nick.

nickpullen
24th March 2009, 09:35 AM
Girlfriend? -- I know them OZ girls have some funny names, but, really?

Dishwasher....

arbordg
24th March 2009, 01:42 PM
Gotcha.

Is that video of "Fridge" ? Interesting boat, but he seems to have a bit of difficulty getting it to go in a straight line, eh? Had the boat been drinking?:rolleyes: BTW, that looks like crocodile water. Is it? I think if I lived near crocodile water, I'd do all my boating from the top of the tallest tree - but I'm just brave that way :oo:

nickpullen
24th March 2009, 02:21 PM
Yup, thats "Fridge"

Um, well there have been some croc sightings around the place. It is on the fresh water side of the river. There are no croc warning signs up at least.

Not to worried about crocs really, not sure why Im not worried though!?!?! :C

vim.au
24th March 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi Nick,

Saltwater crocodiles are quite happy in fresh water!
Don't let that stop you though. :2tsup:

Just keep in mind that your average boat ramp type launch area makes for perfect ambush territory, so it might be advisable to keep the amount of time spent knee deep to a minimum. :wink:

Boatmik
24th March 2009, 10:25 PM
Gotcha.

Is that video of "Fridge" ? Interesting boat, but he seems to have a bit of difficulty getting it to go in a straight line, eh? Had the boat been drinking?:rolleyes: BTW, that looks like crocodile water. Is it? I think if I lived near crocodile water, I'd do all my boating from the top of the tallest tree - but I'm just brave that way :oo:

Fall out of a tree and still get eaten by the crocs.

Are you sure it is a good plan?

MIK

arbordg
25th March 2009, 01:23 AM
Fall out of a tree? Me? Pish... and Tush. Haven't fallen out of a tree since I was 10. I have monkey genes (and sloth socks... and the cutest little koala belly).

Seriously... crocodiles freak me out! Rather than swim with them, I think I'd take up philately... or build myself a dryland sailor :C

nickpullen
16th June 2009, 09:56 AM
These are from the second outing a few months ago...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Cad_021/IMG_1733.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Cad_021/IMG_1753.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Cad_021/IMG_1696.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Cad_021/IMG_1702.jpg

Boatmik
16th June 2009, 01:33 PM
Looks really nice Nick.

Are you pulling the boat over in the capsize shot? You appear to be standing or highly buoyant.

nickpullen
16th June 2009, 01:48 PM
Hi MIK,

That was my first practise capsize. Took a far bit of pulling and leaning to get it to go over! A great confidence booster to know it wont tip easily!

Boatmik
16th June 2009, 02:26 PM
Hi Nick .. I found exactly the same think when we were doing the capsize videos. Now I know the easy way is to get the boat going really nicely, lean out a bit to balance it, Then tack without changing position.

A really low energy ... even an elegant way to capsize.