PDA

View Full Version : nothing to show..

killerbeast
8th August 2008, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to share the joy... i spent the day yesterday doing nothing but shavings :2tsup:
8 hours.. made 5 dry (of the free cracked) bowl blanks into shavings, did the skew thing for more than 2 hours straight.. and i loved it !!!

Benn having trouble with tearout on the outside of my bowls. so i decided to work on the problem.. think i have it nailed...

well just need to share, itīs been a while since i put up anything, been very busy ...

how many here ever do this ?? just turn a lot of wood into nothing but shavings (intentionally)

Ad de Crom
8th August 2008, 04:41 PM
Rasmus, it's very normal to create first a lot of shavings, before you can show us something. But I'm agree with you that creating shavings is a lot of fun. Standing till your knees in the pile of shavings, yeah that's special (LOL).
But when you are ready with your turnings, it's showtime, so than I expect to see something wonderful.
Ad :D

killerbeast
8th August 2008, 04:43 PM
shure :-) i usually show the stuff thats not to bad when i finish it :-) if i manage before it leaves the shop..

Ad de Crom
8th August 2008, 04:58 PM
shure :-) i usually show the stuff thats not to bad when i finish it :-) if i manage before it leaves the shop..

Rasmus, that make sense to me :)

Good luck! Ad

wheelinround
8th August 2008, 06:16 PM
You to o know Funky Chicken is roaming in your back yards :B

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=76252

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2008, 08:58 PM
how many here ever do this ?? just turn a lot of wood into nothing but shavings (intentionally)

Yep. Sometimes I want to turn but have no idea what I want to make. So I just make shavings. :D

There are also times when I start turning and hit "the zone"... that magical spot where you can get one, long. continuous curly flying over the shoulder. Then, if I have more of the same type of wood, it's a case of keeping the moment going and to heck with whatever I'd planned to make... I just keep on going until there's nothing left on the lathe. :-

PsychoPig7
8th August 2008, 09:34 PM
Killerbeast
You have just discovered the true secret of turning. I often just stand at the lathe turning something and 'drift off'. there is a technical name for this pursuit and it is known as 'Gongoozaling'. This is a legitimate pursuit, and the normal response to queries from SWMBO as to 'what are you doing just standing there you old fool' - is 'I'm just gongoozaling'.
keep it up and enjoy to the full - it is all too easy to get too uptight about always making something 'significan'.
Cheers
noel

killerbeast
8th August 2008, 10:33 PM
hmmm funky chicken.. might not be good for the already bad stomach i have hehehehehe

i wasen in the zone quite, but close... and i hope to have some time for turning some more this weekend, when im not cutting up the truckload og Elm Burls... i got for FREE

TTIT
8th August 2008, 11:32 PM
Then there are times when you simply turn because you HAVE to make shavings :o My grandkids have taken to fighting over who is going to use the DC to pick up Poppy's mess - can't disappoint the little blighters eh!:U This avo' it was last nights pile of Cooba - gawd that's lubberly stuff to turn :2tsup:

artme
8th August 2008, 11:54 PM
Well KB, aat least you are computer literate enough to post your photos, I,ve yet to get to that stage.:B:B:B

See you in Denmark.

joe greiner
9th August 2008, 12:02 AM
"Gongoozaling," eh? Also known as "Jarvising." (try Google)

I just call it "Therapy." Impossible to concentrate on any other woes when woodturning disaster is imminent.:wink:

Joe

robutacion
9th August 2008, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I reckon there are 2 types of shavings making, one done deliberately (mainly with green timbers, but not only) either as gouge practise, practise in general, therapy, relaxing times, etc., or most commonly the result of an unsuccessful attempt at making something planned or not (cut as you see it) type thing. Not many turners are confident enough to admit it but, it happen a lot more often that one would openly accept:D. Don't worry, I play on both teams, every so often, indeed is one other method of shavings making, which I use a lot and for a good part of 6 months every year, at least...! but that is for another time story.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

killerbeast
9th August 2008, 07:41 PM
Artme : i should hope som ... i have after all been working in computers since 1995... and we will :-) looking forward to it...

Well i had a job gone bad (rock and roll) yesterday so insted af getting home at 2 am as planned. i gaot bac at 5.30... bummer.. havent quite got the energy to get stuff done in the shop today...

Bu hope to get som to keep turning done tomorrow...

artme
9th August 2008, 09:30 PM
Sleep tight mate.:D:D:D

artme
9th August 2008, 09:32 PM
Sleep tight mate! :D:D:D

killerbeast
9th August 2008, 11:25 PM
he i wish... shopping with the comander in chief.. (but i dont mind i can sleepwalk)