PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Interested in vaneering??

aienco
8th August 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I have a large pair of speakers that I want to get timber vaneered. I was wondering if anyone in the Melboune area that is good at vaneering, would be interested in doing it for me for a reasonable fee.

I tried vaneering many years ago and did not get the professional results I was hoping for. These speakers are very expensive vintage Tannoy's so I a really want them to come up professional.

As I said, I am happy to pay for a good job. Thanks.

Tony.

martrix
8th August 2008, 06:29 PM
can you post some pictures and dimensions of the speakers?

aienco
8th August 2008, 06:36 PM
No problems. I will do this tomorrow afternoon. I can tell you now they are big. 1 mtre high x 700mm wide, 450mm deep. I will post more exact measurements and pics tomorrow. Thank you for your reply..

Tony

astrid
9th August 2008, 05:15 PM
depends on what you call a reasonable fee
lets see , quality veneer not the pre glued stuff about 100, three hour labour to cut and fit and glue and clamp,
sanding another hour, refinishing another 4 hours

lets say 10 hours with picking up materials and removing and refitting fronts $600 plus veneer $100 ish

$700 the pair?

astrid

watson
9th August 2008, 10:12 PM
$700 the pair?

astrid

Dreamin' :U :U

astrid
10th August 2008, 01:40 AM
what, $700 too dear? for quality vaneer and hand finished? dont forget you'd prolly have to take the plastic off first:D
He did say proffessional:D
2 boxes 1 metre high?

Astrid

PS I cant do it cos I'm a city worker these days, but that would have been my ballpark quote.

martrix
10th August 2008, 01:04 PM
not going to make an estimate until I see actual pictures of the speakers and what needs to be done to them, but Astrid's price is not unreasonable for a professional job. Depending on if the back was to be done or not, there is almost 4sq mtrs of veneer in there.

Lets see those pics.

astrid
13th August 2008, 11:08 PM
Where d'e go?:D
The "for a reasonable fee" is a dead give away

Astrid

martrix
13th August 2008, 11:21 PM
Where d'e go?:D
The "for a reasonable fee" is a dead give away

Astrid

I think you freaked him out. :wacko: I would've probably freaked him out even more.;)

aienco
14th August 2008, 09:35 AM
I think you freaked him out. :wacko: I would've probably freaked him out even more.;)

I dont think it is unreasonable at all. I havent had a chance to get the pictures up. The price is fine, its just, as always:no: money is tight and I am thinking, should I give it a go again myself:?

Will let you know as soon as I decide.

astrid
15th August 2008, 10:57 AM
one question, what are they made of ? a lot of vintage speakers, even good ones were made of laminated chipboard, dont think you can reveneer that.

Astrid