PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Melbourne

Bonsa1
8th August 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi my name is Steve, I discovered this site looking for more information and help with veneering. My background has mainly been in metalworking, I was apprenticed as a maintenance fitter many moons ago. I have always been a bit of a 'jack of all trades' building whatever out of whatever, so to speak.
Lately I have been building loudspeakers from designs off of the web, I have been using 18mm wood veneered particle board with good success, having a friend who works for a cabinetmaker edge band the raw edges.
With some designs that I wish to build, with radius corners etc. I am faced with finishing problems, I could paint finish, I like this look especially high gloss. I can spray paint okay but dont have a compressor or gun (and there is the problem of over spray!)
So I am thinking of building with MDF and/or marine ply and finishing with veneers.
Can anyone suggest where I might acquire help and ideas (web sites, books etc.) to get me started? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I too have a wealth of experience in lots of areas and look forward in trying to help and be assistance to others.

cheers.. Steve :)

artme
8th August 2008, 11:47 PM
G'day Bonsai1 and welcome to the house of..........:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
More info here than I will ever need And more fun than a Charlie Chaplin film.

watson
9th August 2008, 12:18 AM
G'day Steve,
Well, you're in the right place.
If you want info on loudspeakers/veneers or whatever,
just go to the SEARCH area, type in your question, and then stand back.
Welcome aboard, and I hope its fun!!!

Bonsa1
9th August 2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks guy's for the welcome :)
I can see me in front of the computer a lot more now, looks like there is an answer for almost everything here :2tsup:

cheers.. Steve