PDA

View Full Version : Turning lessons with , AKA Spindle Master

jefferson
8th August 2008, 10:25 PM
Some of you might know that I spent Wed-Thurs with down at Tooradin, Vic. The tutoring was arranged after a late evening plea on my part (after yet another piece flew off the chuck, following on from some dig-ins with the skew chisel).

First up, it was a big two days. Lots of talk and questions/answers and cup after cup of tea! Add in a meat pie or two.

But just a rendition of the 2 days isn't going to do justice to what was achieved. I'm hoping that others out there in the "turning-learning" phase get something out of this message. And maybe some of the more experienced turners too.

As a self-taught turner of no ability, I can say that took me thru the A-Z of turning - sharpening, spindle turning, lidded boxes and bowls, design, techniques with plenty of tricks and secrets along the way. (I won't divulge all, if you want that, go and see ). Reading books and watching DVDs only go so far.

The novice in me appreciated the one-on-one, with 's gentle hand on my chisel handle, leading the way to find the bevel and the right way to cut. It took some time, as I was that nervous - my usual dig-in rate with the skew was maybe 1 out of six per bead. That increased to a dig-in per bead.

So handed me the spindle gouge to roll a few beads and I got my confidence back. He had me turning both left and right handed in no time. Sure, there's a long way to go but in time I will turn both hands. Practice, practice.

In all, a great experience. Master spindle turner he may be, but also knows a thing or two about boxes and bowls.

And yes, I was amazed about his equipment. I forget exactly, but a bed over 25 feet long must be seen to be believed.

So if you are learning, give a ring. If you're not close, try someone else. You can waste a lot of time and timber without expert direction.

And thanks , I'll be back for a refresher "advanced" course soon.

Jeff

RufflyRustic
9th August 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Jeff, glad to hear you are getting over the nerves and learning heaps. is such a great source of info, hints, tips and a brilliant teacher to boot. HWMNBO and I still talk about 's loooooonnnnng bed for turning telegraph poles :D:2tsup::2tsup:

Looking forward to seeing some of your turning works when you are ready.

cheers
Wendy

Jim Carroll
9th August 2008, 10:25 AM
And yes, I was amazed about his equipment. I forget exactly, but a bed over 25 feet long must be seen to be believed.

Jeff

always likes to show of his equipment.:rolleyes:

Did he show you what he can do to a custard tart, :oo:not for the faint hearted.

Glad you have learnt a lot now we need to see the results.:2tsup:

jefferson
9th August 2008, 11:04 AM
Jim,

So the pressure is now on! Don't get your hopes up just yet.

Must get out into the shed and light the fire - freezing and wet here today

I didn't see at work on custard tarts, but he sure makes a mess of two potato-topped pies!

Jeff

rsser
9th August 2008, 03:52 PM
Good stuff Jeff.

ATM I'm on track to come up Thurs so let me know how I can help.

Sounds like you'd now know more about using spindle tools than me, so mebbe bowl/platter/pencil jar/lidded box I can help with.

jefferson
9th August 2008, 06:38 PM
Ern,

this week is open, so no worries.

I'm thinking lidded boxes. and I got one half done, no sanding etc. and I have some nice blackwood here to make into another box or two. Plus some stuff - a grand's worth - from Trend Timbers that was supposed to be here a week ago. It should arrive this week. If not, I'll be on the phone.

I spent the arvo stuffing up a replacement turned chair rail, after which I went back to familiar territory and sharpened my two new HD scrapers on the Tormek, plus a few more tools. It's slow work, but at least after you get the angles right, a re-sharpen doesn't take long.

Let me know your ETA and I'll have the fire going in the shed. Forecast this week is for snow on the high country and rain down here.

Jeff

rsser
9th August 2008, 06:47 PM
Ern,

this week is open, so no worries.

I'm thinking lidded boxes. and I got one half done, no sanding etc. and I have some nice blackwood here to make into another box or two. Plus some stuff - a grand's worth - from Trend Timbers that was supposed to be here a week ago. It should arrive this week. If not, I'll be on the phone.

I spent the arvo stuffing up a replacement turned chair rail, after which I went back to familiar territory and sharpened my two new HD scrapers on the Tormek, plus a few more tools. It's slow work, but at least after you get the angles right, a re-sharpen doesn't take long.

Let me know your ETA and I'll have the fire going in the shed. Forecast this week is for snow on the high country and rain down here.

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff. Lidded box I can help you with.

Will let you know closer to the day about an ETA but at this stage late morning looks like it.

If I can I'd like to use your Tormek to produce a scraper edge for my sharpening technique experiments.

Yeah, it's a great season for XC skiers: good cover and the snow is staying dry due to low daytime temps.

jefferson
9th August 2008, 07:03 PM
Ern,

I don't like to say it, but you appear to be one of the few snow bunnies on the forum. Each to his own, as they say.

The Tormek is waiting and ready to go. I just ran the diamond stone over it.

I'll send you a PM about the address etc later.

Really looking forward to the visit. put that much info out that the mind is still trying to take it all in.

Jeff

rsser
10th August 2008, 08:59 AM
Goodo.

btw, a snow bunny wears a pink or lime green jacket with white false fur lining around the hood.

Hard core XC skiers wear army surplus wool pants, checked wool jackets, beanies knitted by someone's mum, faded canvas gaiters and ancient waxed leather boots ;-}

Cliff Rogers
10th August 2008, 09:17 AM
A grey beard poking out of a pink or lime green jacket with white false fur lining around the hood.... :think:

rsser
11th August 2008, 04:43 PM
hmm, that should scare the kiddies off the beginners' runs at resorts.

Nice idea.