PDA

View Full Version : Re-handle

ficfac
9th August 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi all,
What's the best way to re-handle a turning chisel? I have made the handle, but I'm not sure of the best way to remove the old one. Also, should I glue the blade into the new handle?:?
Cheers for your thoughts.
Josh.

dhurrang
10th August 2008, 10:42 AM
G'day Josh,

Don't use glue :no: You need to step drill the handles blade end for the blade shank. Use a ferrule to prevent the handle splitting when you fit the blade. Plenty of diagrams and instructions on the net. Check out the woodworking links at the top of board.

Taking the old handle out. Remove the ferrule (angle grinder). Split the old handle. tadaaaa :D :2tsup:

bobsreturn2003
10th August 2008, 11:36 AM
place blade in vice and tap old handle off with hammer useing a piece of wood between handle and hammer . then find drill ,tight fit in hole and drill new handle on lathe ,so its coincentric with handle . doesnt point out one side . then tap handle on , no need to glue if size is snug .hardwood is best for handle , cheers bob

ficfac
10th August 2008, 10:34 PM
cheers Fellas, good advice. Got it done and it came up well. Thanks a lot, Josh.:2tsup:

rsser
11th August 2008, 05:04 PM
Cool.

If the hammer off routine hadn't worked, then you could have tried multiple drilling downs from the blade side in between the blade and ferrule.

And sometimes you do need epoxy or bog to fit a tang.

Square tang - hole size: rule of thumb, measure the tang on the diag, subtract a mm and that's your drill size. Don't glue or heat first off: drop the tang in and then repeatedly drop the handle end on, on to a bit of carpet or cardboard for the chisel to seat.

Tapered tang: same as the above but measure at widest and at mid point and step your drill holes.