PDA

View Full Version : few updates: table, toolchest and armoire

stef1611
10th August 2008, 07:34 PM
hi everyone,

This is a little update on some projects (current and finished), just didn't think about taking pictures before.

In December I made a table for my better half but didn't get around to posting anything after the finishing stage. The wood is Tassie oak. I had to stain it cause our bed is walnut colour; finish is china oil and wax.

Second, a long while ago I started an armoire but never had time to do much since finishing the raised panels sides and doors. Here's an intermediate stage where I put together the sides and did the top part and the cleats for the shelves... still a long way to go though; I have to make the bottom part which will have two large drawers to store some files.

Last, i was tired of letting my tools gather dust so decided to make a chest for them. Got the cheapest crapy looking pine I could find at the local hardware store (which still cost me not far from 200 bucks by the way). It's not finished, the top is not attached to the bottom yet, I will put some 19 mil boards inbetween so that we don't see a hole when the doors are opened. The top part is 120 high, 90 wide and 42 deep (doors closed). Bottom part is 70 high. Main case and doors are all through dovetailed and raised panels cut straight of my new tablesaw (quite a change from my cheap contractor table saw... love it !!!). The frame for the panels is meranti, which gives a strange pinkish look to it but it looks ok to me.... I may still stain teh whole thing though, haven't made up my mind yet.
Here's for the latest update. Always happy to hear some feedback and advices from you guys.
Cheers, :):):)
Steph

Ron Dunn
10th August 2008, 08:45 PM
You don't need advice ... hmmm ... except, maybe:

"MAKE MORE!"

I love the work with the pine. It shows that good woodworking isn't dependent on rare and expensive woods.

Harry72
10th August 2008, 10:14 PM
Nice work Steph

Woodwould
10th August 2008, 11:52 PM
Nice work Steph. Are the pegs in the table true draw-bored, or are they just for show? I especially like your pine tool cabinet. Pine is a much overlooked timber in my opinion.

RufflyRustic
11th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi Stef

Fantastic work. The table is brilliant. I stand corrected. The whole table - stain, finish, table lace edging and the legs together make a very beautiful table:2tsup:. Don't know why I couldn't see this before:B:rolleyes::doh:

I totally agree with Ron - "Make More, please!!" but will add - "Design more too!!"

cheers
Wendy

stef1611
12th August 2008, 01:13 PM
Well guys, you're way too nice with my very amateur work !!!! I cannot take credit for the design of the table, I only made an adaptation from a bandsaw book from Lonnie Bird that I bought at teh same time as my bandsaw.... you can definitely tell that it was the first cabriole legs I have ever made (and I don't have a lathe which explains why I had to carve the feets so they don't look square). By the way, if any of you tries to replicate the table that is described in the bandsaw book, beware that the measurements given for the legs must be wrong; I made teh first leg respecting these measurements and discovered (a bit late) that the leg was way too short.
I only take credit for one thing, I actually draw-bored the pegs that I made out of some scrap jarrah I had lying in the shop. The Jarrah gave me a bit of a headache because it was very hard... I later caught a stream video somewhere (I think the woodworking channel) sayiing that oak was a better material for draw boring pegs... which is what I used for the support of the toolchest.
And I definitely need advices, I have only started a couple of years ago and could only rely on books to learn the basics and on the forum to pick some tricks.... so, shoot away !!! No better way to learn and improve than to hear criticisms (very true in my line of work too !!)...
I am gonna try to finish the armoire and toolchest soon cause I have a big project coming up... silly me promised my parents that I'd make them a bed for when they come and visit me from France in December.... i gotta learn to keep my trap shut !!!!
Cheerios,
Steph

stef1611
12th August 2008, 01:40 PM
some extra shots of the armoire....

artme
15th August 2008, 08:16 AM
Stef you are doing marvelous work and show a good eye for form and design.
It is good to see that pine can be used so effectively for such a basic need. Well done.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
15th August 2008, 03:46 PM
Stef some real sweat looking wood work there love the tool cabinet :2tsup::2tsup:

Al the hobbiest
16th September 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi all,
I realise this thread is a month old, but i was wondering if you had any follow up photos of the tool cabinet? It looks awesome and would like to see it in its finished glory. Thanks, Al

stef1611
22nd September 2008, 12:44 AM
Hi all,
I realise this thread is a month old, but i was wondering if you had any follow up photos of the tool cabinet? It looks awesome and would like to see it in its finished glory. Thanks, Al

Hi Al,

I know the thread is one month old but I must say that the tool cabinet hasn't changed much since then, I've only worked on it today, so you'll have to wait for a while before seeing an update. I promised my parents I'd make them a bed for when they visit me in Australia. THey arrive in November and still haven't started so I guess the tool cabinet will have to wait a bit...lol.... Thanx for the compliment anyway... I'll keep you posted on the progress...
Cheers
Steph

RufflyRustic
22nd September 2008, 09:28 AM
Yep, nothing like having parents come to visit to help with the motivation:D

Good luck with the bed.

Cheers
Wendy

stef1611
25th September 2008, 10:03 AM
Yep, nothing like having parents come to visit to help with the motivation:D

Good luck with the bed.

Cheers
Wendy

THanx for the encouragments Wendy, I receive the wood today so lots of saw dust in perspective. I got a real good deal on some left over Jarrah so the bed will be made of Tazzie oak for the structure and Jarrah for the raised panels... Hope it will look good... more on that soon.
Cheers,
Steph

BrettC
29th September 2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Steph,

Very nice work there, can I ask what wood you used for the armoire?

Any more shots yet ? :pics:

stef1611
4th October 2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Steph,

Very nice work there, can I ask what wood you used for the armoire?

Any more shots yet ? :pics:

Hi BrettC,

The armoire is made with tassie oak for the stiles and rails. Panels are mainly Tassie oak too but I also had to use some maple for a couple of the side panels (I was short of cash then !!!). The difference doesnt show though cause I stained the wood (walnut) and put 4 or 5 coats of french polish... I turns out good but I think it's gonna be my only project done with this sort of finish; while turnning out very nice, it takes so bloody long !!!!!!
Cheers
S.

Woodlee
4th October 2008, 09:50 PM
My missus loves the table , so do I in fact .
But being a tool fanatic the tool chest is my cup of tea.
I can't wait to see it finished.

Kev.

prozac
4th October 2008, 11:42 PM
Nice work Steph. What is Steph short for?