PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Bowl

joe greiner
10th August 2008, 11:07 PM
There's no way I could have completely planned a bowl like this. The number of growth rings indicates that a branch was cut off about 18 years ago, long before I took up the sport of woodturning.

Back in March, a neighbour dropped off a large cedar log in my driveway. He'd found it in the woods near his country property, and thought I could use it. This is the second or third piece I've turned from it so far. The log is almost 600mm diameter, large enough to cut into quadrants for bowl blanks, so that the pith is outside the bottom of the bowl; this also allows more orderly warping, which was negligible.

After rough turning the shape, I excavated some voids, and filled them with a "mortar" of coffee grounds and epoxy. Filling at this stage, or over-filling nearer final turning, allows cutting and sanding the fill to produce a terrazzo effect. I also filled some narrow cracks with CA.

At final turning, I got a small chip-out on the rim. I haven't decided what to do about it; possibly cut it finer and paint the cut surface a bright colour; and/or, cut more of them at equal or random intervals and claim a new design innovation.

About 10" (255mm) diameter, 4.5" (115mm) high, and wall thickness about 3/8" (10mm). The finish is 5 coats of clear satin polyurethane.

Joe

Cliff Rogers
11th August 2008, 09:09 AM
Interesting piece, it is good to have a piece with a story attached, good colour. :2tsup:

artme
11th August 2008, 09:58 AM
Nice one Joe! Very intereting piece with a very interesting story.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
11th August 2008, 05:16 PM
Joe, wish almost someone dropped me that piece of cedar on my driveway, as it is very beautiful wood. But you were that lucky guy. Very well excecuted, nice detail work at the rim. Do you always sign your work, as I saw on the bottom.
Cheers. Ad

wheelinround
11th August 2008, 07:26 PM
Nice work Joe love the smell of Cedar great idea for the fill.:2tsup::2tsup:

Ray

joe greiner
11th August 2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks, mates.

I'm not sure where I got the idea of signing the work, Ad; maybe just the practise of some members of our WT club. At least it provides a rough record of my "progress." I don't sell any of my work, but may have to when I run out of storage space and/or friends/relatives willing to accept.

Ray, I'm leaning toward the notion of leaving the bottom of cedar turnings uncoated so as to allow the aroma to escape. Probably camphor too. Why should I be the only one to enjoy it?

Joe

wheelinround
12th August 2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks, mates.

Ray, I'm leaning toward the notion of leaving the bottom of cedar turnings uncoated so as to allow the aroma to escape. Probably camphor too. Why should I be the only one to enjoy it?

Joe

Joe a few turnings I have done this and I am amazed at how many seasoned turners say "Hey the bottom's not Finished"! Then I tell them why :U :o reply "never thought of that"

I have found how ever that when using oil finish on Rosewood its scent still leaches as it did on the Claret Ash bowl I did.

The one thing to watch Joe is if using Camphor and there is a lot of natural oil in it it will seep out the bottom. So you have to be careful what its put onto. It could leave a oily mark I found a piece of paper I sat one on well soaked but smelled great.:roll: