PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

ozwinner
7th March 2004, 05:27 PM
Hi All
I need help.
Today while building a hall table from Huon, I actualy had to resort to useing a hand chisel...............
A chisel.......a hand tool,.............can you believe it?
I immediatly went for a lie down afterwards.

I hope I recover enough tomorrow, so as I can go into the shed again.

I'll have nightmares for weeks.

Gota go get a drink of something strong.......

Cheers, Al :eek: :eek:

Dean
7th March 2004, 05:49 PM
Shame on you...
Check your power box in the morning before you go into the shed.
It might be starting to rust! :)

Sir Stinkalot
7th March 2004, 05:53 PM
Al,
I know how you feel. The battery on the cordless drill was flat today .... all day ..... so I had to use a screwdriver .... man that was the hardest work I have done for years inserting 4 screws into cedar. :D

Sturdee
7th March 2004, 07:10 PM
Al,
I too can relate to that. The other day I had to use a hammer to hammer in some nails because I could not use the nail gun.
I normally use the hammer only to close paint tins. I felt real bad about it and so I took a Bex and had a lie down. :D

Peter.

bitingmidge
7th March 2004, 10:18 PM
I don't think there is any shame in using a well preserved hand tool for it's intended purpose.

I am assuming of course that you used the chisel to open a can of paint of some sort?

Presumably clear finish over the Huon.

Cheers,

P

Sturdee
7th March 2004, 10:37 PM
I am assuming of course that you used the chisel to open a can of paint of some sort?

No, since we have cordless drills with screwdriver bits, the old screwdrivers are used for that.

Peter.

bitingmidge
7th March 2004, 11:08 PM
And here was I thinking that old screwdrivers were used to remove bicycle tyres.

P

Driver
8th March 2004, 12:02 AM
Careful, boys.

This hand tool thing is addictive, y'know. It starts with picking up a chisel - then it spreads to using a screwdriver because your cordless drill's not working. Next thing you'll pick up a hand plane - just to see if you can actually do it, you understand. Won't stop there of course because the plane's cutting iron will be blunt so you'll have to sharpen it. Once you've done that you'll want to make sure it's sharp enough and the next thing you know you're up to your knees in wispy little shavings.

Too late now! You're hooked! Hand cut dovetails here we come! Woo Hoo!

Col

q9
9th March 2004, 12:55 AM
The way the power has been here lately, we might all have to get familiar with hand tools again...

Dewy
9th March 2004, 04:43 AM
After reading this topic & taking prozac to calm me down.
I now have visions of hundreds of Australians using hand saws instead of stacked dado head cutters.
OK guys. Calm down. It's not likely to happen except in a nightmare. hehe