PDA

View Full Version : From Melbourne

Yeebla
11th August 2008, 01:36 PM
Hello everybody :)

I first discovered this site when I was researching scrollsaws. I bought a Makita SJ401. I'm sure that there are lots better saws but I am pleased with it so far.

I have been trying to buy 8mm thick timber. I don't have milling equipment. Despite many phone calls to various timber merchants, I've got nothing. I was thinking that timber window shutters might be about that thick, but a lot of them have an elliptical profile which I don't want. Anyway, the ones I have called are not into selling their stock to the public.

I saw a post here from Connollys Timbers about free offcuts so I will definitely check them out, but don't think I'll get my 8mm there.

Regards
Yeebla

DJ’s Timber
11th August 2008, 02:06 PM
What type and dimensions are you after? Happy to rip stuff down and re-thickness for you. For example, 50mm rough sawn you could recover maybe 5 but definitely 4 boards, can re-saw up to 200mm high on my bandsaw. Mind you, 8mm thick by 200mm wide could cup at the thickness :doh:

tea lady
11th August 2008, 02:40 PM
Where abouts are you in Melbourne? I am involved in the Knox Community Woodworkers on Glenfern road, Ferntree Gully. There are tools and lathes galore there. And A thicknesser. The annual membership is only $65 per Year (+ $50 joining fee the first year I think.) Certainly worth it to fill in the tool gaps, plus lots of blokes to talk to while there.:cool:

artme
11th August 2008, 06:41 PM
G'day Yeebla and welcome to the fountain of knowledge.:U:U:2tsup:

I don't know much about scrollsawing - yet!:D:D

Yeebla
11th August 2008, 10:04 PM
Hi again

Wow, DJ that is a very kind offer from you. If there was a train line to East Warburton, I would make the trip. I live down Chelsea way which is a southern bayside suburb. I'll keep you in mind though.:) Tea Lady, shockingly I never thought of a woodworkers club for using their equipment. Your club sounds lovely. There is a place here called the Chelsea Men's Shed that is for woodworking. However I am not a man and don't wish to stir them up. If my quest is unsuccessful I may have to check them out though.

I didn't want to ask any obvious questions about clubs so I have just found the Victorian woodworkers association website and looked at their club links. http://www.vwa.org.au/list_wclubvic.htm Nothing down this way, unfortunately. I am sure there must be, but just hasn't made it onto that list.

DJ I like that timber sample that you've got for your picture. I want timber that is a nice mid colour like that. Not pale and blonde and not dark and hard to see. I don't know anything about different timbers so was pleased to find this list of timbers with pictures at Australian Furniture Timbers http://www.afttimbers.com/productsindex2.htm The thinnest stuff they have is 12mm, but mostly 19 or more. I want boards about 90mm wide, give or take and of course the ridiculous thinness of about 8mm.

If anyone has any info for me, please write back.
Yeebla