PDA

View Full Version : New old forge

Andy Mac
11th August 2008, 02:59 PM
Hi there,
Just thought I'd introduce you to a new bit of gear for my shed!:D Picked it up last Friday, pre-auction for $250. Its an old hand cranked shop forge, Rapid brand, made in Sydney (who knows when- 30's-40's!?). According to the seller, it was part of a blacksmithing set complete with anvil (which he still has), basic tools, charcoal and steel...all supplied to farmers etc direct from a catalogue. He knocked back my first offer, saying he expected at least $300 at auction. As I haven't seen one for sale locally for a long time, I snapped it up, thanks to Mr Rudd:p
Its very similar, maybe a bit bigger, to one I showed a while back that I had from a mate, and forged a chisel (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28772&highlight=forging+chisel) with.
Some fairly serious repairs/mods to this one: the whole firebox has been constructed by the 'smith I bought it off, using some mild steel and a plough disc- which has since cracked at the weld. It runs OK, but I haven't fired it up yet. Young Loki is getting pretty keen about cranking the handle, so I hope that enthusiasm continues when there's heat and hammering going on!

Cheers,

jmk89
11th August 2008, 04:36 PM
A realy neat piece of kit, Andy.

I always wondered about those blowers - seems to me to be a great way of making sure that the son and heir decides not to continue oon the land.

I have thought of getting one of the old forges and either motorising the blower, or doing like Phil Edwards and using an old hairdryer of SWMBO's to blow the necessary air - look here (http://www.philsville.co.uk/)(select "The Workshop" from the LH list, then scroll down to "Philly Forge").

Andy Mac
11th August 2008, 05:05 PM
A realy neat piece of kit, Andy.

I always wondered about those blowers - seems to me to be a great way of making sure that the son and heir decides not to continue oon the land.

I have thought of getting one of the old forges and either motorising the blower, or doing like Phil Edwards and using an old hairdryer of SWMBO's to blow the necessary air - look here (http://www.philsville.co.uk/)(select "The Workshop" from the LH list, then scroll down to "Philly Forge").

I'm in two minds about it: for just a small bit of work hand-cranking isn't a real chore, with a couple of benefits. One, you can control the quantity and force of the air very easily, and two, when the hot steel is being worked on the anvil and the cranking stops, the fuel isn't being unnecessarily wasted. There are foot buttons and adjustable valves for electric blowers, but all add up to extra tasks....the KISS principle!

Cheers,

watson
11th August 2008, 05:32 PM
Love it...a real KISS. and then there's the added benefit that the young'n could become a discus thrower or a wrestler or whatever with enough forge work.

johnc
11th August 2008, 11:46 PM
My father had one of those, which he sold years ago for $50. It was used for sharpening chisels and punches for stone work. You don't crank the blazes out of them, slowly does it and for smaller work they are just fine. You'd want rocks in your head to convert one to an electric blower. There used to be one round the corner built by a bloke out of fire bricks and for air he shoved a tube into the rear of a clapped out vacuum cleaner with the other end conected to a rather long length of steel that fed the air. Worked a treat and must of cost next to nothing to build.

I've still got all the tools and anvil, and with any luck one day I'll find one of those blowers.

yaryetnom
12th August 2008, 07:58 PM
Nice pick up Andy, however, I fear you may become distracted from the renos so you should could drop it off here & I'll look after it. I'd even supply my own coke.:;

Ray

bsrlee
12th August 2008, 08:26 PM
They are still around - I picked up one with ex-army markings, never used, from Hare & Forbes back when they were still in George St Parramatta. I've got to go around a few scrap yards and see if I can find a truck brake drum to replace the sheet iron fire box, which rusted out when my late father decided to use it as a compost bin.

matthew_g
14th August 2008, 07:32 PM
Just thought i'dd post a quick reply with my web-site to show you my forge.The blower has been moterised and workes a treat.Thanks Matt

prozac
17th April 2009, 12:08 AM
Very envious here. I want one!