PDA

View Full Version : Best wood from this selection?

jefferson
12th August 2008, 04:49 PM
I finally received my delivery from Trend Timbers - all 4 by 4 inch blanks for lidded boxes. Aside from the price differences, I have no idea where to start. I sure don't want to waste too much of it!

What I have is:

Nth Mahogany
Kauri
Camphor
Congo Mahogany
New Guinea Rosewood
Arctic Beech

I would appreciate any suggestions on which species to start with (for a beginner). What will be easiest to turn? Any and all comments on the merits of each species welcome.

I'm looking at lidded boxes at this stage.

Jeff

tea lady
12th August 2008, 05:13 PM
I've found Kauri really easy. (if it is pacific kauri.) Although in the sanding you have to make sure there is no grit from the heavier sandpapers still on the work as you go through the finer grades as it can easily make a line in the nearly shiny surface.

Rose wood is also no prob. A bit less touchie with the sanding. Haven't done any of the others.:shrug: Have fun.:2tsup:

artme
12th August 2008, 05:40 PM
Nice selection you have there Jefferson.
I would probably star with the Cl as it is good turning and pretty forgiving.
Kauri next (It is Kauri, a type of luscious conifer, not Karri, a WA hard Eucalypt? )
NGR is good to turn. Then Arctic Beech followed by the mahoganies.

Some tips with sanding:

Work down through the grits thoroughly. Wipe the work after each grit to remove any loose grains.
Do not press hard when sanding and keep the speed down. High speed and pressur cause heat which can cause surface cracking and even burn marks.
Worn paper is useless, throw it out.
If you find an obnoxious sanding mark, wipe down and go back to the previous grit.

rsser
12th August 2008, 06:04 PM
Suggest Jeff that you start with the piece with the least figure.

That gives you the most scope to recover from an error in parting off the lid section (or to redo the flange on the base section).

Andy Mac
12th August 2008, 06:32 PM
Nice selection of timbers there, but I'm a bit confused by the "Arctic" beech!? Seems like all the other timbers are sourced locally, Australian or grown nearby (well apart from Congo Mahogany!), so I assume its more likely Antarctic beech: either Nothofagus antarctica which is South American, or what was once known as Negrohead beech (Nothofagus moorei), the Australian Antarctic beech. Its not the same as White beech, which is Gmelina fasciculiflora, G. leichhardtii, or G. dalrympleana.
Anyway, just nit-picking I know, but I'm wondering if they actually sold it to you as "Arctic"?

Cheers

weisyboy
12th August 2008, 06:59 PM
camphor laurel cheep and esay to turn.:2tsup:

jefferson
12th August 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks!

I asked Trend Timbers for a selection of "easy to turn" timbers, no tough stuff. It's funny but the price per metre varied a lot. The camphor was $98 per metre, while the arctic beech was $48. The dearest stuff was the Congo Mahogony which I've leave for a while at $120 a metre. Plus GST and delivery of course.

Ern, I won't waste any of it until you get here! I've got quite a bit of redgum that we can practice on. I'll spend a few hours tomorrow on the grinder and the Tormek making sure things are sharp.

Jeff

artme
12th August 2008, 11:34 PM
CL at a higher price than Beech (of any sort)? Bloody stuff is a plagaue and a pesttilence!:no::no::no:

Cent-A-Wood
14th August 2008, 02:30 PM
Why not practice on some radiarta, I have been doing some practice, I'm new to this turning stuff also, but with sharp chisels the boxes I have been turning out for practice in radiarta aren't too bad even if I do say so myself. And when things improve some more,then I will look forward to turning some real timber! Ivor.