PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest angle(s)?

benja
13th August 2008, 08:21 PM
Decided to get my lathing area set up today, and clean up the secondhand lathe i purchased a while ago. Took some time just to clean up all the slides, bearings and threads, then i decided to smooth out the tool rest.
It still had the original paint on it in parts, so took it back to bare metal, then kept going to remove the dings (still 2 left, but getting there)
My question is, what angles should the tool rest have? It seems like about 45 and 30 degrees at the moment, and since cleaning it up the definition between angles isnt razor sharp (it wasnt before either). Is this definition essential, or is a slight blending or rounding between the 2 angles better?

Cant wait to load in some lumber and give it a spin:U.

wheelinround
13th August 2008, 08:33 PM
what angles are round tool rests:rolleyes:

artme
13th August 2008, 09:57 PM
Beat me to it Wheelin!

I don't particularly like Jet tool rests but have become accustomed to them.
The tool rests on some Jet clones are, for some reason, bloody dreadful.
I think the best of the conventional tool rests I have come across are the Vicmarc.

Maybe you could measure up a Vic.

thefixer
13th August 2008, 11:15 PM
G'day Benja

The tool rest that came with my MC1100 has two falt surfaces. The one closest to the work is horizontal and then it has another at about 10 degrees from horizontal. I got no idea why this so because it is not necessary. I never use the 'orrible thing anyway. I make my own rests as the need requires.

cheers
Shorty

oldiephred
14th August 2008, 09:22 AM
The tool rest is just as the name implies, a place to rest the tool. Any or no angle is totally irrelevant to the job being done=============IMHO of course.