PDA

View Full Version : mini cyclone dust collection question and thanks

sao95
8th March 2004, 02:54 PM
hi all, i'm new here, i browsed through the forums awhile back looking for dust collection ideas and saw the mini-cyclones. I made one and it does work great, but it makes a horrible high pitched noise. It's mostly made of flashing so i took it apart and looked for anything that might have air flowing through it making the noise (that's what it sounded like) I saw a few things and caulked/taped them, yet I still get the noise, so now i'm not so sure that's what it is, anyone else run into this? any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance
Sao95

outback
8th March 2004, 09:56 PM
I'm guessing you already checked the vac or whatever on its own to count it out.

Air does not have to pass through an object to make a whistle or whine or whatever so maybe the high velocity air is going over/around a protrusion. the inside of the cyclone should be smooth to allow free flow of air.

the only other suggestion is if you can put the cyclone together in sections, tesing after each piece is added.

soundman
9th March 2004, 12:06 AM
check your hoses.
some corigated hoses can make awfull noises.
this is why you never use corigated electrical conduit or drainage pipe for vacume.

post a few pics it may help.

sao95
8th April 2004, 03:47 AM
an update: I went through piece by piece and found that it was the flex tubing I was using, it had internal ridges that was causing the horrid noise problems, so i got some smooth walled tubing and all is well :)

soundman
8th April 2004, 11:06 PM
Yup its a trap for young players.