PDA

View Full Version : lathe overheat?

Daddy3x
14th August 2008, 03:15 PM
I have a Pmatic lathe and the thing cut out on me. While trying to do my first end grain bowl and making huge dust clouds, I dialed down the lathe to 0 speed, not using the stop button. I went to start it back up and it refused to spin. RPM indicator was lit, so I let the motor cool a few minutes and it still wouldn't start. Unplugged, let it sit 5 minutes, plugged it in, and it seemed to be just fine again. The troubleshooting guide stated to try shooting some air in the motor to try freeing up some dust which may have caused possible overheat. Is there anything else I should be looking at? This is the first time it has happened. Thanks

joe greiner
14th August 2008, 07:55 PM
Have a squint here: http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/
Might have the info you're after. Also, WWF member Gil Jones recently got one, and could provide some insight via PM. Gil's a top notch guru on things like this, but no guarantee of course. Gil might even jump in here later; he has better sleep habits than I do.

Joe

Gil Jones
15th August 2008, 05:18 AM
I presume you have a PM 3520B (??), and it is still warranted.
I have had my PM3520B for only a month, so I am hardly an expert on it. From what I have read, the OV means "over voltage". You could check your supply voltage with a meter to see what you have. Mine is 245-vac right now, and I have seen 242 to 249-vac. So far those values seem to be fine, as the lathe has no troubles. I doubt that 30-minutes of hard turning would be any cause for concern with the 3520B, unless there is an underlying internal problem with the inverter, motor, or wiring.
As for the supposed catch related problem that you mentioned, where the inverter refused to run the motor, I believe that unplugging the lathe is a valid cure as it is similar to rebooting a computer when it has a minor glitch. If you are worried about the problem, or if it is repeated often, why not call Powermatic tech support and see if they can offer another solution. Also, you mentioned that you used the speed control to stop the lathe, and did not say how long you allowed it to remain at zero RPM without pushing in the Stop button. I am not sure, but I doubt that is a good way to turn off the inverter for an extended time period. I too stop the lathe with the speed pot, but then I push in the Stop button switch.
Let us know what you find out, one way or the other, as I would be interested in that problem and its cure.
Cheers,

hughie
15th August 2008, 01:40 PM
I doubt that 30-minutes of hard turning would be any cause for concern with the 3520B, unless there is an underlying internal problem with the inverter, motor, or wiring
As for the supposed catch related problem that you mentioned, where the inverter refused to run the motor, I believe that unplugging the lathe is a valid cure as it is similar to rebooting a computer when it has a minor glitch. If you are worried about the problem,
I would agree with Gil here, not that I have a lathe like yours. But I do have some knowledge of inverters, I converted my old MC1100 over to a inverter.
It is not to unsual to have a faulty inverter. Especially if the equipement has various types of motors and is supplied into a market with various voltages.
If the glitch continues or becomes more frequent I would get on the phone to the supplier asap as this would indicate that the inverter has a serious problem.

Keep us all posted, good luck.