PDA

View Full Version : first week

Old Paul
14th August 2008, 07:07 PM
I was given a lathe a while ago and had never used one so it stayed on the floor gather dust,but after the Sydney wood show when we both had a go I decided to set the lathe up so last Monday I bought a set of tools and this is the result of a week and a half of playing. I have booked in for a woodtuning course so I can make more than candle stick holders.
Any comments arewelcome because I have learnt from this forum on other projects.
Thanks for looking
Paul

artme
14th August 2008, 07:34 PM
You have done very well mate!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now you are on the slide to addiction.:D:D

jefferson
14th August 2008, 08:13 PM
Paul - well done!

You're doing OK, probably better than me, another new woodturner.

Get those lessons, learn and understand the bevel. Dunno who is around your way, but keep going.

Jeff

Old Paul
14th August 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Jeff I am doing the course at Trend Timbers.
Well back to the shed
Paul

wm460
15th August 2008, 02:12 AM
You done well paul

Ad de Crom
15th August 2008, 02:51 AM
Well done Paul, glad to see another woodturner in action.
Keep em going.

Ad :2tsup:

orraloon
15th August 2008, 09:40 AM
Thats a good start Paul,
By the looks of it you are hooked already. The mind will be constantly mulling over new shapes and methods of doing them. Get the lessons,read the books,search the net and sometimes dream about turning. No going back now.
Regards
John

wheelinround
15th August 2008, 10:34 AM
Great work Paul still yet to make salt n pepper mills but then we already have 3 sets of wooden ones

Ashes
15th August 2008, 10:57 AM
Well done.

I'm also new to turning and probably only have a week or so experience given the difficulty I have making time to get out to the shed. What I've found is that if you use some real nice/interesting wood and can put a good finish on it, the satisfaction levels are much higher. Ironically, I need to turn some candleholders for my next woodturning meeting...

Have you tried turning some "captive rings" yet. I think you might enjoy the challenge. Baby rattle, noise maker.. etc.