PDA

View Full Version : G'day- another newie newbie

bollie7
14th August 2008, 08:23 PM
G'day all, I've just joined the forum even though I'm not really a woodworker. ( I have ownerbuilt a house and done a few reno's but we all know thats not real woodworking) Anyway, I'm a metalworker (mainly machining and a bit of fab) and this is the only aussie forum I've found that's even remotely related to metal working. (I've found the metal work section.) I don't do much woodworking because I get all sorts of sinus related problems when I come into contact with most types of wood dust and I reckon if I have to wear a mask all the time to do a hobby its not worth it. Also I'm pretty good at turning timber into fire wood but thats about it. I do appreciate the amount of effort that goes into most of the projects people get into.

regards
bollie7

Mollywood
14th August 2008, 08:49 PM
G'day bollie7,

Welcome.
I'm a novice woodcarver. There's no wood dust in carving, (unless you use power tools), so maybe you could give that a try.
With your metal work skills you might even be able to make some carving tools.

This is a great site for communing with like minded souls, and a great wealth of info.

:welcomeani:

watson
14th August 2008, 09:09 PM
G'day Bollie7,
enjoy the place, and even the woodies here eventually have to get into a bit of metal

BobL
14th August 2008, 09:17 PM
Firstly a welcome to Bollie7!

There's no wood dust in carving, (unless you use power tools), . . . .

Sorry but this is not quite correct. Just because one is using hand tools does not mean there is no dust. Also raw timber by itself decomposes naturally and makes dust, you just can't see the dust because there is only small amounts and it is quite small but it is there. Depending on the type of wood involved hand tool and decomposition dust can affect some people significantly. But before you worry too much about it the risk for small amounts of wood is low but people working amongst large amounts of wood for long periods in unventilated areas - power tools or not - will be exposed.

bollie7
14th August 2008, 09:26 PM
G'day bollie7,

Welcome.
I'm a novice woodcarver. There's no wood dust in carving, (unless you use power tools), so maybe you could give that a try.
:welcomeani:
Thanks for the welcome, re wood carving. I tried that when I was about 11 or 12. I'd saved up my pocket money and bought a set of El cheapo carving chisels from Woolies, then set about a lump of wood (pine, I think) with the intention of carving a beautiful little box. My dreams far exceeded my ability at the time (still do) and I ended up with a lump of wood with a rough hole in the middle and a large scar on my leg close to my groin where I slipped and came close to turning myself into a "castrati" It was about then I decided I'd take up a different hobbie.

regards
bollie7

artme
14th August 2008, 09:41 PM
G'day Bollie7 and welcome to a wonderful place to be.:):):)

bollie7
14th August 2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome BobL

[quote=BobL;787138]Firstly a welcome to Bollie7!
Depending on the type of wood involved hand tool and decomposition dust can affect some people significantly. quote]

I know exactly what you are saying. I work in a TAFE college in the Mech Eng dept. The building that we were in up until about 12 months ago was built in the late 1930's/early 40's. Mounted on the wall in one of the rooms were a number of boards with various Mech Eng equipment attached to them. These boards are about 1200mm long X about 200mm wide X about 14mm thick. I have no idea what sort of wood they are or if they had been treated with something apart from the stain and varnish. I believe they had been in the building since it was new. Anyway, one day we had to cut one in half for a special job so I just took it to the workshop and ran it through a table saw. Even though I have sinus problems I didn't think just one cut would effect me. Nah aa. I was a bit lazy so didn't wear a mask as I usually do but before I had even walked out of the shop I could feel my nose closing down. Took me 2 weeks to get over it. Even had nosebleeds as a result. A workmate who was helping me also had a few minor problems although he normally isn't bothered by wood dust at all. I'm still not sure if it was the wood dust itself or something that it might have been treated with way back when. Needless to say I won't be cutting anymore of these.

regards
bollie7