PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a pom!

Bri_ov_cop
14th August 2008, 10:34 PM
I hope I'll be welcome here, I just joined up today - I'm in the UK. Despite my username I'm nothing to do with the police, the cop bit is to do with where I live. Well I'm hoping to get some advice and contribute my own experience so I'll head over to one of the other forums where I've got a question about working with Holly wood.......thanks for having me :)

weisyboy
14th August 2008, 10:44 PM
welcome aboard we can always do with more winging poms.

you make our complaining look better:U.

only joshing with ya.

what kinda wood work do u do?

Bri_ov_cop
14th August 2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the reply weisyboy, I'll try not to reinforce the whingeing pom stereotype too much (note the correct spelling of whingeing :wink:).

I just do the occasional bit of home-woodworking for my own amusement, nothing too serious but I enjoy it and need a bit of advice from time to time. I've got a few different types of wood at home that I intend doing something with such as lime, oak, beech, holly and mahogany.

artme
14th August 2008, 10:56 PM
G'day Bri. Of course you are welcome here.:):):)
W e are a polyglot group and some of us are even tolerant towards foreigners.:D:D

wheelinround
15th August 2008, 03:26 PM
Wa lad canyase nout but poms n descendants of poms here and those who like ta be so drag out a seat sit down and yarn a bit.

Obviously form your gramatical and spelling you have good breading well educated but you'll be told by the Ozzie's lousy at cricket lousy at Rugby to.

Welcome aboard

Woodwould
15th August 2008, 06:09 PM
Not bad; second post and you're correcting another member's grammar! You'll do. :2tsup:

Bri_ov_cop
16th August 2008, 02:09 AM
Wa lad canyase nout but poms n descendants of poms here and those who like ta be so drag out a seat sit down and yarn a bit.

Obviously form your gramatical and spelling you have good breading well educated but you'll be told by the Ozzie's lousy at cricket lousy at Rugby to.

Welcome aboard

Well to be honest I'm quite enjoying watching the Aussie swimmers having to play second fiddle to the USA at the Olympics for a change. Not that the Great Britain swimming team are anything to write home about but we never really expected them to be.

Anyway what I could really do with knowing is this (should I post this in a different Forum?):

I have a trunk of Holly 8" dia' by 48" long, it was cut down 3 years ago and has been stored outside. Will it be any good to make jewellery boxes from and is Holly easy to work with?

BobL
16th August 2008, 10:59 AM
Well to be honest I'm quite enjoying watching the Aussie swimmers having to play second fiddle to the USA at the Olympics for a change. Not that the Great Britain swimming team are anything to write home about but we never really expected them to be.

Anyway what I could really do with knowing is this (should I post this in a different Forum?):

I have a trunk of Holly 8" dia' by 48" long, it was cut down 3 years ago and has been stored outside. Will it be any good to make jewellery boxes from and is Holly easy to work with?

Welcome Bri_ov_cop. Regarding Holly you might have to wait for another Pom to answer that one - it's not a common timber in Oz. With any strange timber I just cut it up into thick slabs and leave it a few months to see what happens. Most are OK by one small log just cracked up and fell apart after I cut it up.

munruben
16th August 2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.:)

joe greiner
16th August 2008, 11:13 PM
G'day, Briv_ov_cop, and welcome aboard.

Probably not too much point in shifting your enquiry to another forum, or you could post a link to this thread.

Holly is very much favoured by woodturners for stability and uniform colour. Google [woodturning holly finial] for some insight. I captured a few large and small pieces from my brother in Northern Virginia last April. They were probably at least a year old then. I coated the cuts of large pieces with paraffin wax for insurance. I just looked at some of the small uncoated pieces and saw no cracking.

BobL has a great suggestion for experimenting. With only one log on hand, I'd suggest cutting about 6 inches off one end, and experimenting on that. The major concern for flat work would be cross-grain bending distortion of off-axis slabs due to drying shrinkage. Google [holly slab] could provide additional insight.

Joe