PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching pine (segmentation).

hawkinob
15th August 2008, 07:29 PM
IIs there a way to lighten pine, yes I know that it's already quite light in colour but I'm doing some segmentation which calls for dark (I can stain), medium (I'll leave natural) and light (??}
Or will I have to have the natural as the light and go darker from there?
Thanks, Bob H.

tim38
17th August 2008, 07:54 PM
The only way I know of to lighten the colour of wood is to soak it in bleach.

TimberNut
21st August 2008, 02:46 PM
There's been a fair amount of discussions around this forum regarding bleaching timber. A quick search should turn up some useful info for you.

The last time i did some i just soaked in pure bleach for a day or 2. It worked a treat, but keep in mind that it only lightens the surface, so cut pieces to size, and sand etc, then bleach otherwise when you sand you might end up with patchy results.

(I just used any regular bleach from the laundry. Worked for me),

hawkinob
27th August 2008, 10:13 PM
Thank you for the replies, I ended up with bleach and the result was good.
Thanks again.
Bob H.

Cwilson
21st September 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Hawkinob my name is charley I live in Mi. USA I have been doeing a wood art called intarsia I joined this forum about a month or so ago. I have a book with some info on bleaching woods It says there is a 2 part{A/B} wood bleach a package of wood bleach contains two bottles, usually labeled "A"and "B" one contains lye {sodium hydroxide} and the other peroxide {hydroxide peroxide} the bleaching action occurs when the two chemicals come together in contact with wood. instructions for use vary from brand to brand.some say to put part A on first then apply B before A drys. Others suggest mixing the two just before application. the object is to get both chemicals and the wood all in the same at the same time. Use a synthetic-bristle brush or a clean rag to apply the bleach. When the lye goes on first, it initially darkens the wood. Once the peroxide goes on it is likely to foam as it reacts with the wood.dry completely, usually overnight,then sponge off all residue with plenty of clean water. APPLY A/B BLEACH SAFELY! wear long neoprene gloves with ends cuffed to catch drips,a waterproof apron, and goggles.Brush carefully.A/B bleach is EXTREMLY CAUSTIC and will quickly burn your skin and eyes check out my blog{ wilsonsintarsia.blogspot.com}:2tsup:

hawkinob
24th September 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Charley for the information, I'll also check out your web-site.
Thanks again.
Bob H.

Johncs
15th October 2008, 12:04 AM
.Brush carefully.A/B bleach is EXTREMLY CAUSTIC and will quickly burn your skin and eyes check out my blog{ wilsonsintarsia.blogspot.com}:2tsup:

Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide in solution) is, as you say, extremely caustic and, when concentrated, will dissolve flesh quite readily. You need to be entirely sure it's all removed.

If you can get your hands on some litmus paper (or solution), that's good to test with. There are other indicators, and you can even make your own (flower petals plus metho for example), but you also need to calibrate it so you know what the colours mean.

Cwilson
15th October 2008, 10:12 PM
I do not like useing chemicals of any kind, and do not advise the use of any thing that can harm a person..if i want to use a white wood i use maple,aspen,or basswood. so please be careful if ever useing any chemicals. I saw a article on a clock turned from a seed pod that grows in western Australia,that is called Banksia seed pod does any one know about them?and how much it would cost me to have a few sent to me. please let me know thanks charlie :2tsup:

Johncs
16th October 2008, 12:43 AM
I do not like useing chemicals of any kind, and do not advise the use of any thing that can harm a person..if i want to use a white wood i use maple,aspen,or basswood. so please be careful if ever useing any chemicals. I saw a article on a clock turned from a seed pod that grows in western Australia,that is called Banksia seed pod does any one know about them?and how much it would cost me to have a few sent to me. please let me know thanks charlie :2tsup:

:hijacked: If your banksia question started a new thread, as it should, it would be easier to find, and might attract attract a response from someone not at all interested in bleaching stuff.

Do you think you could give is a serious idea of where you are Charlie? Sometimes, the information is useful in framing an answer.

30 seconds with :google2: tells me they don't grow just in WA, but also in other parts and other countries.

I grew up on a farm near Margaret River, several kinds of banksia grew in the area I don't recall that there was anything substantial (large or strong) in the pods to use for woodwork. The stem up the centre is the strongest part, and it's not very strong.

Here's a searcg to get you started:
http://www.google.com/search?q=banksia+seed+pod&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial

Here are some pics: http://www.cindydrozda.com/html/Banksia.htm
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Banksia_seed_pod.jpg

Read what this says about working with it:
http://www.essarwood.co.uk/TimberNotes1.htm

Cwilson
17th October 2008, 12:39 AM
Sorry about that Johncs I'm new to this and it will take me some time to get use to things.I live in Prescott Mi. {USA} I thought when useing a forum it tells where a person is from.I got a couple of reply's and thanks to them.I would like to try to turn a clock from one and then I would like to put it on my blog. {wilsonsintarsia.blogspot.com} sorry about that again. charles

Johncs
18th October 2008, 01:10 AM
Sorry about that Johncs I'm new to this and it will take me some time to get use to things.I live in Prescott Mi. {USA} I thought when useing a forum it tells where a person is from.I got a couple of reply's and thanks to them.I would like to try to turn a clock from one and then I would like to put it on my blog. {wilsonsintarsia.blogspot.com} sorry about that again. charles

See the information block next to your post. It tells others where _you_ _claim_ to be.

"out side of the box" is pretty useless.

Cwilson
18th October 2008, 11:08 PM
Johnsc like I said I'm new to this, at the risk of sounding stupid:? what is ment by out side the box? and why would it be useless? cwilson

Johncs
19th October 2008, 01:55 PM
Johnsc like I said I'm new to this, at the risk of sounding stupid:? what is ment by out side the box? and why would it be useless? cwilson

Look at the text to your left of your previous post, where it says "Location."

Look at the corresponding text next to mine, I supplied the text "Greenmount, WA"

Most people here are Australian, so won't think "WA" refers to Washington State.

Someone in Middle Swan would recognise it's just up the road, and if I were asking to borrow something (just one example where locality is important), she might even offer to bring it over.

In contrast, you have suppled "out of the box" which just tells everyone you're a smartalec.

Cwilson
20th October 2008, 10:04 PM
I guess a person is never to old to learn something new. I said this is all new to me, thanks for the advise. a friend set me up on this forum and since has gone to college so i'm on my own with this, don't mean to be a smartalec, sorry about that :- I think i got it right on my local. I just wanted to start a way to show people my wood art so he put me on wood work forum so far i have had over 700 people visit my blog {wilsonintarsia.blogspot.com} and alot of them have been from down under. 19 countries in all.it makes a person feel good to know people see what i do. thanks again charlie

Johncs
20th October 2008, 11:21 PM
Friends?

I guess a person is never to old to learn something new. I said this is all new to me, thanks for the advise. a friend set me up on this forum and since has gone to college so i'm on my own with this, don't mean to be a smartalec, sorry about that :- I think i got it right on my local. I just wanted to start a way to show people my wood art so he put me on wood work forum so far i have had over 700 people visit my blog {wilsonintarsia.blogspot.com} and alot of them have been from down under. 19 countries in all.it makes a person feel good to know people see what i do. thanks again charlie

I know the feeling, I used to run an OS/2 (PC operating system, an alternative to Windows, and google should be able to find more than you really want to know). In those days, I used to welcome the unsolicited email or two it generated each day, and spam via email was just about unheard of.

You're not off the hook yet:U! The other issue I raised was hijacking the thread. hawkinob asked a question about bleaching pine, and really that's all we should be discussing in this thread. If you want to contribute to the discussion, well you've proven skills there:roll:.

To ask an unrelated question, locate an appropriate forum (there might be more than one, then you have to consider which might be better), and click the "NEW THREAD" button. Choose a title that describes what you want to say ("a quick question" is bad, "how do I,,,," is probably good).

It's the title that will attract an audience, and if you have a problem you probably want people who can help you to be attracted to read it.

Now that we know you're in Milwaukee(?) USA, we're likely to expect you know sod all about banksias;-)

I just did a google search for these words:
banksia seed pod intarsia
and came up with 21 hits. One's pretty useless, but some of the others are interesting. Especially the one from Canadian Woodworking.

There are lots of banksias, presumably those articles will give some ideas of which ones are suitable and where to get them.