PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Campbelltown

Jasonk
16th August 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi, my name is Jason from Campbellton NSW.

I recently had to build a deck, onto which I put a shed so I could clean five years of accumulated crap out my garage.

My brother is a sparky and he is very good with his hands. Building a deck is something he can do almost without breaking into a sweat. Me in the other hand, I've am a desk jockey for a living, and the last time I drove a nail into wood was woodwork classes at highschool in the 1980's. Both my brother and wife were amazed that the deck could actually be walked on, let alone almost level.

Flushed with that success and a recently cleared garage, having actually enjoyed at least a part of the deck building as well as feeling the need for a bit of a hobby, I thought I'd have a lash at making something else out of wood.

A workbench followed, and then the mad rush of blood to buy every wood tool on the planet - I'm guessing thats pretty standard response?

Anyway, thats a bit about me. I have been a quietly lurking member here for a little while just gleaning the odd tip. I am thinking about taking up some proper woodworking lessons before I create too much more sawdust....

So thanks for all the assistance you have all unwittingly provided. It has been very helpful so far!!

artme
16th August 2008, 07:25 PM
G'day Jason and a big welcome.:):):2tsup:
You've made a good start with deck and shed. Obviously been infected with spirotoolia musthavia. Very dangerous virus.:D:D:D

Christos
19th August 2008, 05:15 PM
Welcome JasonK. I too am new to woodworking but have been doing this on and off since I left school. Do not have the necessary tools that a woodworker would need but do have some tools and I guess in about 30 - 40 years should just about get the last one needed. :U

If you look at your other thread (where to learn) I have posted some further suggestions.

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Jason...

Were glad you could join us. Enjoy!!!!:U

Ed :D