PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this burl?

steck
16th August 2008, 04:40 PM
Hi all,
I recently Chopped this growth from a river red gum.
It is about 50cm long, 40 cm wide and 30 cm deep. Unlike most burls it was hanging from a branch about 15cm thick.
I am hoping to get some good turning from it.
My questions are:
1. should I let it dry as is or should I cut it?
If I cut it , can any of you experienced wood chasers recommend how? i.e., slabs or blanks? Vertical or horizontal cuts? etc.
Should I turn it green?
Any advice and polite suggestions appreciated!!

Pat
16th August 2008, 04:51 PM
Steck, if you have a bandsaw, mill a round turning blank whilst green, remembering to seal it. You could turn green, as RRG is as hard as concrete dry :). Depending on were you cut it you may be able to get 300mm bowl blank and a few small pen/spindle blanks.

BTW, you lucky son of a #$%^&& for having that problem:U

DJ’s Timber
16th August 2008, 05:15 PM
That looks more like a Mistletoe to me :;, link to explanation on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistletoe) :2tsup:

dhurrang
16th August 2008, 07:01 PM
That looks more like a Mistletoe to me :;, link to explanation on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistletoe) :2tsup:

I agree DJ. Big piece in my experience though. I try to cut them out before they get too big :D Vern will know :2tsup:.

Steck, as Pat said. Trim and seal till dry.

artme
16th August 2008, 11:37 PM
:o:o:o Turn it into whatever you wish. :):D:p:D:p

TTIT
16th August 2008, 11:40 PM
I reckon you guys grossly over-estimate my knowledge on these matters :C Trying to work out what's on the bum-end of it in the middle picture - was that the continuation of the branch Steck or just where the bark has been knocked around a bit????
I reckon I'd be taking a slice off that end about 120mm thick and roughing it out green - but it's hard to say without seeing it up close - and talking to it - listening to it - and prodding it - and..... ooops ... ......... gotta go :B:B:B:B:o

steck
17th August 2008, 12:19 AM
I reckon you guys grossly over-estimate my knowledge on these matters :C Trying to work out what's on the bum-end of it in the middle picture - was that the continuation of the branch Steck or just where the bark has been knocked around a bit????
I reckon I'd be taking a slice off that end about 120mm thick and roughing it out green - but it's hard to say without seeing it up close - and talking to it - listening to it - and prodding it - and..... ooops ... ......... gotta go :B:B:B:B:o

The bum end goes in for a little bit for about 50mm - a bit like a giant wasp gall! It was hanging onto the branch from the other end.
I haven't seen a mistletoe like this before but it could well be. There are a lot of trees down the creek and this is the only one with growths like this on it.
It will be interesting to see what color the wood is inside. Does anyone know what a mistletoe is like inside?
I'll slice it and seal it - just have to decide which way to cut it.

robutacion
17th August 2008, 02:47 AM
Hi steck,

If I was in your situation, I would see it as a water balloon filling up from the branch end, there is, the grain should run from the branch feeding connection, right down to the bottom. I would expect the grain to run reasonably straight at about half way, with the bottom half running toward the edges and curling. I would cut the slabs following the same direction (parallel) as the branch. (maybe the biggest slab the same thickness of the branch, as one cut on each side and parallel to it)!
Now, this is only my suggestion, as if I was doing it myself. I would appreciate if you decide to go this way, to take some pics, just as confirmation how close/far I am off the mark! Well, pics of it cut in any other way, would be good!.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

coffenup
17th August 2008, 10:02 AM
I'll save you the stress just send it to me. then your problem is solved:D:D
Regards Michael

TTIT
17th August 2008, 11:47 AM
Stab in the dark! :o If it's a resin burl (which I'm fairly sure it is), you will find the grain swirls around it like fairy-floss on a stick and it will have resin galleys circling the inside of it, getting larger towards the middle. The pic is one off a Lemon scented gum I dropped a few weeks ago - the middle section sometimes drops out altogether as it dries out and the resin shrinks away:C. Pics 2 & 3 are of a little one off a Redgum that my old mate Jim has down in sunny Vic' :U If the guts fall out of it you can do what I did with this one on my website (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/projects/redgum-pot/redgum-pot.htm) :shrug:
If it is a mistletoe there would be evidence of the mistletoe timber, which has an oak like ray through it, merging in with the eucalypt and stubs of the mistletoe branch/es.

steck
17th August 2008, 05:15 PM
I don't think its a mistletoe or resin burl!
I cut it into 3 X 120mm slices, parallel to the branch.
It looks like this:
The first slice is a lot redder than the other 2 .
Very interesting pieces of wood. The tree has a lot of smaller ones (about the size of an orange) growing on it. I wonder if I will live long enough to harvest them?
I think I will have a go at green turning these before they turn into rock!
Any thoughts on whether to leave the bark on or make them round on the bandsaw?

lubbing5cherubs
17th August 2008, 06:50 PM
Don't know what it is but the wood looks like something beautiful coming your way
Toni

Pat
17th August 2008, 08:20 PM
Round them on the bandsaw, unless you enjoy an out of balance lathe:)

TTIT
17th August 2008, 11:41 PM
I don't think its a mistletoe or resin burl! ..................
I think I will have a go at green turning these before they turn into rock!
Any thoughts on whether to leave the bark on or make them round on the bandsaw?I reckon it's the equivalent of a resin burl but without the resin galleys - good score :2tsup:
They are so close to round, it's gotta be worth having a go at a natural edge on at least one of them. If you pick your centre right, balance shouldn't be too much of a problem.:U

robutacion
18th August 2008, 02:09 AM
Well done steck,

They did come up, just right!
Again, I would keep the one on the right, by leaving the bark and painting (sealing) both faces with at least 2 coats, and let it dry for at least 1 year.
The other 2 (centre and left), I would rough turn them in 3 to 4 weeks. I wouldn't put anything on them, just keep then stored in a flat and well ventilated place, in the shade. If you have a Moisture Content Metter, check it should be about 34% to 39% at the moment, I would work them when they reach about 26%. Obviously, the time that will take to lose the initial 8% to 12% depend on the weather temperatures you are experiencing but, normally if well ventilated, those pieces should be ready for action in approx. 4 weeks.

With timbers unfortunately, there are no "magic" 100% accurate procedures, some things work well for some, for others not so well, some times we get lucky, other times we don't...!:doh::;

Good luck with them, and thanks for the pics.

Cheers
RBTCO

steck
21st August 2008, 12:55 PM
Thank you all for your input.
I am attaching some better quality pics to show the grain better.
I green turned one slice into a rough bowl and am soaking it in Metho. The grain and color is stunning; it will be interesting to see what color it will dry to! I so hope it doesn't crack!! (Cross fingers!)
I think I might store the slice in the picture for a year and green turn the last piece and just air dry it . Will be good to compare the results.

robutacion
21st August 2008, 03:45 PM
Wow :oo:, looks at those colours...!
Well, you got already one in the metho, apparently a well worth method to many of forum members, so now lets wait and see.
Yeah, I still thing that you should seal properly and keep that one for next year.
The last one, and if you want to experiment/test and compare with other "more controlled" drying drying processes like the metho one, I would recommend you to buy some Fungishield from Feast Watson, at any Mitre 10 or other major hardware stores, and try it on the piece after you rough turned it. There are 2 ways of using this stuff, 1- you simple brush (very generously) all over the piece and put it a side until the next day. You can actually see most of the times, the liquid soaking straight through and appear on the other side, as you go. You then, give it another good soaking coat and put it away to dry (with the widest part down) for a few months (try to keep these pieces in a dark/ish, well protected place (no wind/sunlight/rain, etc.).
The other way is a little faster, but only possible if you have at least 4 litres of the Fungishield. This is quite achievable and economical, after you tested it and decided to use it all all your turnings, as the approx. price for the gallon container of Fungishield, is just a little over than the price of 2 x 1 litre can, about $49.00 (gallon). Anyway, if you have this amount of solution then, you just pour it in a larger open container and dip your rough turned piece on it until all submersed and for 10 to 15 minutes. You then remove it, and let it drip the excess into the container, repeating the process the next day, before you put it to dry in a safe place (as before). I did find that only one coat/soak is near enough for some timbers, but the second "run" did/ are protect(ing) my rough turnings a lot more effectively. The good thing about this product also is that, after you re-turn your pieces, you can finish them with anything you want (oils, stains, varnishes, etc, etc.):)

My product recommendation is based simply on my testing/experience/decision, and not based on sales commissions, and/or other...! Unfortunately :no:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO