PDA

View Full Version : restoring veneered cabinet

AndrewPatrol
16th August 2008, 10:46 PM
I have a job where the frame of a glass display cabinet not only has to be repaired but the veneer has bubbled and lifted off in places. Question is - how do I tell what glue has been used ( i read somewhere that hide glue can be reheated to reactivate it? T/F? )
Also what is a good way to get veneer to sit back in position, wet cloth and iron?
Another plan would be to get PVA in under veneer and apply damp cloth and warm iron for a few moments then apply weight, does this sound feasable.
I never tackled any work like this before but like a challenge.
Any help gratefully accepted
Thanks
Andrew

seriph1
25th October 2008, 08:20 AM
1. TRUE
2. CORRECT sometimes, depending on the glue used
3. WORKS - have done it with good success.

Questions:

Is the cabinet yours?

Is the job a favour?

Will the veneer be visible and unsightly if the job is not successful?

Any chace of some pics?

AndrewPatrol
25th October 2008, 07:06 PM
It belongs to a lady I built a couple of decks for and she ran out of people to ask if they'd tackle it. Talk about last man standing !!!!!!!!
So I guess it is a favour, but I am am going to charge something.
I've actually started gluing the veneer back with PVA and clamping. Seems to be working. Cabinet is a bit rough (perhaps made by a hobbyist) and small pieces of veneer are missing. She doesnty want a real flash job 'cos she always remembered it as a bit rough ( family heirloom )
Thanks for your reply but I reckon I got it under control now. Just applied the old "just get on with it" method.
Andrew