PDA

View Full Version : Red Mallee

Ed Reiss
17th August 2008, 04:09 AM
Hi All....

I have a piece of Red Mallee burl just itching to be turned into a bowl. It was a bit expensive $$$$$ so I don't want to ruin it!!:(

Have not turned Red Mallee before and would like to get some advice on turning characteristics and the best finish (I normally use tung oil for other woods) to use.:?

Thanks & G'day!

Pat
17th August 2008, 07:59 AM
Red Mallee, turns like a rock. So sharp tools, light cuts, slow speed until in balance. An oil finish is the better as any wax based get caught in the voids, there will be voids:)

Ed Reiss
17th August 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks Pat...

I'll just leave the grinder running!!!

appreciate your advice.:2tsup:

hughie
19th August 2008, 12:16 PM
Ed,
Dunno how dry your sample is, but I have found that the burl moves around a fair bit after turning. To the point that no matter how smooth I get it...wet slurry sanding etc. It will tend to, eventually arrive at a leather type finish, oiled or other wise.

I don't mind the effect, as it tends to add to the overall look and feel of the piece

Tried to find a pic of one that that went that way. Not the best example of what I am trying get across. :- :no:

It has the makings of it on the inside

Ed Reiss
19th August 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Hughie...:) nice pic of your turning!

It's also been my experience that burls do and will move even years after...I have a Big Leaf Western Maple turning that had baby-butt smooth surfaces, now after 12 years you can feel the ups and downs.

Wood moves, life's too short to worry 'bout it.

Ed :D

rsser
19th August 2008, 07:12 PM
The leather-like end result I've only had with green or greenish RMB. Not with fully dry bits.

The shame with this timber is that it seems to darken more than most with UV exposure, so Ed if you like the colour when it's finished then store the piece in a cupboard!

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 03:15 AM
The leather-like end result I've only had with green or greenish RMB. Not with fully dry bits.

The shame with this timber is that it seems to darken more than most with UV exposure, so Ed if you like the colour when it's finished then store the piece in a cupboard!

Resser....thanks for heads up about the UV issue, learned something today.:U

The "cupboard" it is then!

munruben
20th August 2008, 04:00 PM
Seems a shame if you go to all the trouble to make something, you have to hide it away in a cupboard.:)

Ed Reiss
21st August 2008, 03:02 AM
You've got a point there, Munruben.

Well, how's this...install a webcam in the cupboard so that it can be viewed on the computer screen! :hmm::U

artme
21st August 2008, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't mind have problems with a piece of Red Mallee.:p:p

Ed Reiss
7th September 2008, 03:51 AM
Red Mallee, turns like a rock. So sharp tools, light cuts, slow speed until in balance. An oil finish is the better as any wax based get caught in the voids, there will be voids:)

Pat...

Finally found the time to prep and start turning the Red Mallee.

Don't mind saying that I was just a bit skeptical about the burl being like a rock...well, I'm no longer skeptical:doh:

Simply facing off the top damn near kicked my butt! Using a 5/8th's bowl gouge that I know is sharp yielded almost zero curl....mostly small bits and dust.:club:

This piece is definitely not green by any stretch of the imagination.

Any'hoo...here's a couple of pics with progress:?so far. I'm gonna go lie down for a while now!:sleep6:

Cheers,

Pat
7th September 2008, 07:45 AM
Ed, welcome to the world of the Australian boofhead turner, who can get burls like that easier than anything else. Slooowwww speed, a very light touch and a good dust mask is what is required + no brains :U

I once turned a 12" Jarrah Burl blank into a bowl, I ended up calling it "Fear & Loathing". It still weighed a fair bit when it decided it was finished.

Ed Reiss
8th September 2008, 01:04 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm....wonder if dynamite would help!??

Pat...Good lookin' bowl that'

rsser
8th September 2008, 02:46 PM
The stuff is nice to turn green but unlike other species of burl will dry slightly oval in my experience.

joe greiner
8th September 2008, 09:50 PM
You've got a point there, Munruben.

Well, how's this...install a webcam in the cupboard so that it can be viewed on the computer screen! :hmm::U

Nooooo! Is there no shade at all in your house? Or can't you just move it once in a while? All wood seems to age, cherry in particular; if desired, darkening can be accelerated with lye.

Joe

Ed Reiss
2nd October 2008, 02:39 AM
Well guys, I finally finished the Red Mallee platter. Decided to do a raised rim using Wenge as a contrast just to offset the overall pattern of the mallee. Sanded to 600 then three coats of tung oil and a thin layer of dark Briwax buffed out for a satin sheen. 16 inch diameter (I think that's about 41cm:?)

It was tough going with the mallee being as hard as stone, or at least it seemed that way....pretty much kept the grinder going and probably took a quarter inch of steel off the gouge!:doh::o

Pat...now I know why you named your bowl "Fear & Loathing"!

Not saying that I'll never do another Aussie burl again, but sure will think hard and long about it!:rolleyes:....so do I get a membership in the Boofheads club now?:banghead:

cornucopia
2nd October 2008, 03:23 AM
:2tsup:well worth the effort ed. i like the contrast of the rim. re: uv there are some oils with uv inhiitors in them, they dont stop the problem completley but the do help. :)

Rum Pig
2nd October 2008, 09:06 AM
Well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You have done our Aussie timber proud the rim is just spot on.Simple but elegant I like it:2tsup:

OGYT
2nd October 2008, 10:10 AM
That's gorgeous, Ed. Worth the shortened tool, for sure!! "D

Pat
2nd October 2008, 10:19 AM
Very nice there Ed, especially the rim. Now for you to get some other burls and give them a try out, have a few explode on the lathe and the rest, well they do decide when they are finished. If you can find Coolibah burl, get it. It is a tan colour and can end up very nice.

hughie
2nd October 2008, 11:24 AM
[

Not saying that I'll never do another Aussie burl again, but sure will think hard and long about it!:rolleyes:....so do I get a membership in the Boofheads club now?:banghead:
[/QUOTE]

:U :U and there are harder lumps of timber down under......:o ..picked up a old light pole, great figure in it....ruined my chainsaw blade..should have given up then..:U but carried on with my tungsten tip, it was not real happy with it. After an hour or so of dust, splinters, chips and a lot of muttering, gave it away for firewood.

Great piece, :2tsup: interesting rim.

Look on the bright side, burls are great for improving your grinding technique.. :D

masoth
2nd October 2008, 12:02 PM
Regardless of the struggle, I'll bet you are pleased with the end result. A good looking piece Ed.

Ed Reiss
3rd October 2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys...your comments are appreciated!:U

The Colibah sounds like a challenge...might have to order up a piece.

Ad de Crom
3rd October 2008, 06:39 PM
Ed, I followed your struggle with a great interest, never turned stuff like that, okay now you have a tool what is shorten by grinding, but seeing the endresult...., boy it's gorgeous, great job at the rim, nicely smooth, FANTASTIC PIECE!!!

Keep em going Ed

Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
4th October 2008, 12:15 AM
Ad...thank yew', thank yew', thank yew'.....but, flattery will get you nowhere!:no::no:

Ha....just kidding!!:UThank you kindly!

Ad de Crom
4th October 2008, 01:16 AM
Ed, you deserve it.
BTW. can you tell me, how long you worked on that piece, I suppose a pretty long time :)

Ad

Ed Reiss
4th October 2008, 06:26 AM
BTW. can you tell me, how long you worked on that piece, I suppose a pretty long time :)

Ad

Somewhere around 6 hours total....with a lot of sitting on my behind between sessions:doh::B

Not quite as fast at turning like I was back in my "production" days of doing treen items (bottle stoppers, mason jar lids, potpourri bowls, honey dippers, fan pulls, etc.).....now mind you, the beer consumption has absolutely nothing to do with it:no::no::no::U!!! LOL

Ad de Crom
4th October 2008, 07:36 AM
Somewhere around 6 hours total....with a lot of sitting on my behind between sessions:doh::B

Not quite as fast at turning like I was back in my "production" days of doing treen items (bottle stoppers, mason jar lids, potpourri bowls, honey dippers, fan pulls, etc.).....now mind you, the beer consumption has absolutely nothing to do with it:no::no::no::U!!! LOL

huh, beer, there is just one right in front of me.
Cheers Ed :D
Ad