PDA

View Full Version : Help with terminology for MC1100

madcraft
17th August 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi all

I'm a little confused on the MC1100 , I was comparing it to Northwoods Offering { here (http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/product.asp?pID=1154&cID=496)}

and they say the speeds are lever select , does that mean that the Variable speed on the MC1100 {here} (http://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning-tools/lathes-accessories/carba-tec-11m-bed-wood-lathe) is also lever select or operates differently :?

I haven't had anything to do with VS :B so am unsure how it works eg Lever select , dial a speed etc

Cheers
Glenn

Big Shed
17th August 2008, 10:31 PM
The MC900/1100 lathes use a Reeves pulley system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission) to achieve variable speed. It consists of 2 cone shaped pulleys, 1 at the head stock spindle and 1 at the motor. By changing a lever on the side of the head stock one pulley gets bigger and the other pulley gets smaller, this changes the speed that the head stock spindle turns at.

The other sytems for changing head stock speeds are multiple pulleys and you change the belt to select the speed, or electronic variable speed where you turn a knob to change the speed the motor runs at. Some lathes, eg Jet Mini, use a combination of these 2.

I have a MC900 with the Reeves system and it works very well and is simple to operate.

joe greiner
17th August 2008, 11:38 PM
On the bed side of the headstock, there's a hole (about 12mm diameter, with a smaller hole inside it) below the spindle boss. Squirt some WD-40 or the like for lubrication of the speed handle. The manual for the Harbor Freight 34706 (99.9% identical to the MC900) advises lubrication, but is silent on where or how. The shafts for both Reeves drive pulleys will also benefit from an occasional spritz (inside the headstock housing).

Joe

Tornatus
18th August 2008, 11:16 PM
What Joe said, but try and avoid using WD40 - it evaporates rapidly and doesn't leave an effective residue for continuing lubrication. I use a product called INOX, which is marine grade and lasts a long time, as well as being innocuous (pun intended) - it's readily available, eg at Supercheap Auto (in Oz).

Lubrication is really critical with the MC900/1100 lathes - when the Reeves pulley system is regularly (monthly is recommended) cleaned and lubed, it can be as smooth as the proverbial through a goose. The speed change lever should be movable with one finger. If you're game to do a bit of disassembly, it also helps greatly to remove the pulleys and polish the inner faces - prolongs belt life, as well. Just be careful - and gentle - when handling the pulleys, as they are not high-grade castings, and can easily be broken.

joe greiner
18th August 2008, 11:54 PM
One other thing about Reeves drives: Lubricated or not, the speed can be changed only with the motor running. And should be reset to the lowest speed at the end of each session to avoid surprises at the next session.; even with the same workpiece still mounted. (Balance can actually change overnight, especially with green wood.)

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th August 2008, 02:06 AM
[...]
And should be reset to the lowest speed at the end of each session to avoid surprises at the next session.
[...]

:yes::yes:

Jim Carroll
19th August 2008, 09:16 AM
It is a simple claytons variable speed.

You still have dedicated stops which do not permit you to pick the speed you really want so have to comprimise by picking an indent close to what you want.

As indicated above only move up or down when the motor is running and always finish on the lowest speed. Nothing worse than turning on a bowl blank and it is doing high speed , you wont be quick enough to get to the stop button.